Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truth in dyno

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:06 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Truth in dyno

Being a dyno tuner it troubles me to see some of your printouts posted on here. Their are different units of measure to measure horse power and torque. The main 2 I see here is STD and SAE. STD is a unit that is used over in Europe and is about 2 - 3% higher than SAE (which is how we measure H.P. in the States). So if your printout says STD smoothing anywhere on it, and you live in the states, than your tuner is giving you false info. There is only 2 reasons I can think of that tuners would do this, 1 is that they just don't know any better and 2 is that they are trying to have higher #'s to make them look better. The other thing that bugs me is some of the A/F lines I see, or lack of. Bottom line is, if they can't read your A/F then they CANNOT perform a full tune, if they don't have a 250 dyno, they CANNOT perform a full tune. If they give you a "full tune" and don't show you the A/F calibration then they are hiding something. If you do have the A/F on your printout, it should be relatively a straight line, at around 13.2 : 1. Anything below that line is rich and anything above it is lean. That's NOT where your bike is running, (when you get it back) that is just where it is calibrated. Your Dyno lines should be smooth, when they get real wavy, usually at higher RPM's then your timing is probably off.

I have seen many posters on here that attempt to tune there own bikes off of their dyno printout, It can't be done properly. Your printout is only showing 1 cylinder at full throttle, it might me totally different at other throttle positions, so if your printout shows your bike is running rich at 2500 RPM's and you decide to lean it out a little across the board, guess what? Your bike might of already been lean at cruising and you just leaned it out more.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:22 AM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HarleyTuner...thanks for your positive contribution. Make alot of sense...especially after some of the BS I've been through with mine!

thank you again! Mike

Old 04-02-2009, 07:23 AM
MILO851
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good info Thankes for posting. I think in order to compare 2 different bikes you need to run on same dyno same day same opperator. There are to many variables any other way.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:35 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MILO851
Very good info Thankes for posting. I think in order to compare 2 different bikes you need to run on same dyno same day same opperator. There are to many variables any other way.
This is true, dynos need to be calibrated. Other things that effect the dyno atr temperature and humidity.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:19 AM
cycletrash98
Cruiser
Thumbs up

thanks , I found that very interresting .

Old 04-02-2009, 08:30 AM
badjustbad
Tourer

Originally Posted by harleytuner
This is true, dynos need to be calibrated. Other things that effect the dyno atr temperature and humidity.
If I'm not mistaken another thing that affects the dyno results is elevation. Less air = less power.

The Florida riders should get high HP/TQ results than the Denver riders.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:09 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

If I'm not mistaken another thing that affects the dyno results is elevation. Less air = less power.
You are correct. Altitude does make a difference.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Great post harleytuner. Really enjoyed your insight. A welcome relief from the many "what bling, etc. do you guys think will look best on my bike" threads.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great info Harleytuner, that was very helpful to me. Just knowing what you said will be usefull when the time comes to have mine done.

Its pretty cool having members in the forums that know their s**t too!

Old 04-02-2009, 11:13 AM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent post specially since it is coming from a subject matter expert like you. A million thanks

Quick question: how much of a factor is "heat soak?" Your thoughts on Mustang vs. Dynojet dynos?

Quick Reply: Truth in dyno