Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truth in dyno

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:06 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Okay, so let me phrase this another way. Does the dyno have built in Barometer, or does the tuner enter the temperature, and atm. pressure when he/she starts the tune? And if it's the tuner's input, could fat-fingering the atm. pressure be a cause for the bike possibly "running smoothly" and producing a good HP-Tq graph, but having a bad output of air/fuel ratio
A properly equiped dyno will be able to read temperature, humidity and barometric pressure. These are NOT adjustable by the tuner so I guess your answer would be NO, the tuner cannot manipulate your numbers this way.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:07 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

for your time and effort, you have helped me to understand it all much better.
I appreciate that and I am glad you're getting something out of all of this.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harleytuner,
If you recall I just had 211 cams and dual dressers put on my 2006 Ultra. As a result of these being put on, I had the bike retuned (SERT). My mileage went down from about 39 to40 mpg to 33 mpg. My tuner agreed to retune the bike without any charge. So during my 20,000 service, I had him return it on the dyno. Here is the new dyno chart. What do you think? I haven't had it long enough to check the mpg yet.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:51 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

I can't really tell what he was targeting in the airfule line. If the red dash line is set at 12:1 then you are still running a little rich. If it's at 13:1 you are pretty close in the higher RPM's but just a hit too lean. It's hard to tell what your bike will be doing for fuel mileage, this printout is just for the 100% (full throttle) run and on just 1 cylinder. I would need to know what your bike is doing at cruising ranges (15% to 25%) throttle around 2000 to 2500 RPM. You have to realize that your are only looking at the A/F for 1 of the cylinders. It is possible to have 1 cylinder running rich and the other running lean. It just depends on how it is tuned.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:22 AM
ATC2
Cruiser

Great topic... Thanks Chad and all who have contribute to make this a very informative thread.
I 've been saving up for a tune for a while, bike is getting done as I write. I now feel better informed on what to look for and questions to ask.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by harleytuner
I can't really tell what he was targeting in the airfule line. If the red dash line is set at 12:1 then you are still running a little rich. If it's at 13:1 you are pretty close in the higher RPM's but just a hit too lean. It's hard to tell what your bike will be doing for fuel mileage, this printout is just for the 100% (full throttle) run and on just 1 cylinder. I would need to know what your bike is doing at cruising ranges (15% to 25%) throttle around 2000 to 2500 RPM. You have to realize that your are only looking at the A/F for 1 of the cylinders. It is possible to have 1 cylinder running rich and the other running lean. It just depends on how it is tuned.
I stressed to him that I wanted better gas mileage. I showed him some of your posts and he understood what you are saying. He said he tries to do what you are suggesting. He tries to balance out mileage with making sure the engine doesn't run to hot. Since I stressed the mileage thing I think he was willing to go not as rich and try to get me better gas mileage. I think he said the line is 13.2. And I think he said he set my AFR at 14.1 in the cruising range. Does that sound good?

Old 04-18-2009, 07:43 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

I stressed to him that I wanted better gas mileage. I showed him some of your posts and he understood what you are saying. He said he tries to do what you are suggesting. He tries to balance out mileage with making sure the engine doesn't run to hot. Since I stressed the mileage thing I think he was willing to go not as rich and try to get me better gas mileage. I think he said the line is 13.2. And I think he said he set my AFR at 14.1 in the cruising range. Does that sound good? __________________
Yeah, that's not too bad then if he targeted 13.2:1 like he should have. He could have went leaner with the A/F in cruising though, up tp 14.6:1, I like to set mine at 14.4 in cruising and 13.6 to 14.2 at the higher percentages and 13 at 80 and 100%. But he definately has you in a pretty safe area, you should do pretty good on eceomony where he has you.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:40 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good stuff...just came up on this thread. Thanks H-tuner!

Old 05-29-2009, 07:31 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Renegade
Good post and some good tips. My question here would be is, where is the balance between horsepower and fuel mileage? Does this rest in having the correct AFR?? Does a nice straight AFR line of 13.2 give you the best of both worlds?? The reason I ask is I have had a bad tune and a good tune. Bad tune = 4 more horsepower w/bad fuel mileage, and the good tune = 4 less horsepower but a lot better fuel mileage. Personally I could care less what my HP and TQ numbers are, I just want the bike to run well. That is if I need to pass someone on the highway, I want the power, but if I am crusing, then I want the fuel mileage.

Can someone answer this ?

Thanks
The straight AFR line showing a nice 13.2 on a dyno chart tells you nothing about gas mileage, except at WOT. There can be a balance between mileage and performance without one detracting significantly from the other. If you have a means of changing the AFR's using an EFI controller--e.g. PCV, SEST, etc.--you can tune the cruise range for mileage and those areas outside your normal part-throttle mode for performance. There have been quite a few discussions on this here, mostly on PCV threads, and I've spent quite a bit of time perfecting this concept on my SG.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:09 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

iclick is exactly right, you can tune performance and fuel effeciency seprate from each other. A tuner can tune the higher RPM and throttle position ranges for performance and tune the cruising ranges (7% throttle and 1500 to 3000 RPM range) for economy. Since the average rider spends over 90% of his/her time in cruising range and very little time in performance range your mileage should be good. Let's face it, when you twist the grip and are unning 80% or WOT the furthest thing from your mind is economy. I tuned a bike for a friend, 113" making 130+ Hp and he can average 44 MPG no problem when he's just cruising around.

Quick Reply: Truth in dyno