Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truth in dyno

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 12:36 PM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I have to believe with all the high technology involved in tuning a Harley V-twin, finding a good tuner man is quite similar to finding a good medical doctor. The difference is a bad tuner just costs the rider/owner money, where the bad medical doctor can cost a patient his life.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:36 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by molsen
I am looking at the afr table as a basis of what my desired target is. From there, I obtain data from the twin scan and then go into the VE tables and adjusting accordingly for front and rear values from what the twin scan is seeing via the 02s and what the afr table is in SERT. That is where I think I am confused from what you are saying. I use the afr table as a guide and after I ride for a little bit, I go back download my data from the twin scan and look at what diffrential values on the ve tables from the twin scan sees from the o2s to what I have in SERT. I adjust the VE tables based on the diffrence between SERT afr tables and what the twin scan sees from the ecm and the info from the o2 sensors.

More I am thinking about it I am getting a similar outcome, but doing it a diffrent way, as long as I am understanding you correctly. For if I wanted to lean the mixture in a cell. I would have to input/change the afr value into SERT and hook up my Twin scan(TS) and get the info from the TS after a run and then go into SERT and adjust my ve table for each cylinder of that affected cell from the data from TS.
The AFR tables tell you what the desired AFR is. When you look at the AFR table in SERT those aren't throttle positions you are looking at. You wouldn't want to change the AFR while using the Twin Scan. Just keep doing what you are doing and you should be fine.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:46 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyD
I am at their mercy, and I wish I knew some questions to ask the tuner I select to get an idea if he's blowin smoke or knows his stuff and will do right by me. Several tuners within a 100 miles of me and quite a variety of prices quoted.......

Thanks H-Tuner! It's nice to have people on here who can help us from time to time. Go enjoy your ride
You might want to check out Mike Stegmann at Latus Motors in Portland - one of the best (if not the best) tuners in the Northwest.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Taylorized
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Help me

Harley Tuner please help me!
2nd Dyno tune 32mpg they claim 14.4 at cruising

What they gave me for A/F ratio

Here is the first dyno tune. They redynoed because I got 28mpg they claimed a bad O2 sensor on ther dyno machine.

I just want my bike to run right and get decenct fuel mileage. After the 2nd tune I think they are going to take my money and run and leave me with this bad tune. What can I do or should I do? How can it be 14.4 cruising when the other shows 18 ar 15%?? Don't undestand all this please help and THANK YOU.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:14 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm having a hard time matching the colors with the perspective lines on the A/F printout, but you are running rich, that's for certain. As close as I can make out, at 15% at 2250 RPM they have you "calibrated" at about 12.5:1. They say they have you set to cruise at 14.4 which would be true if your calibration was right at 13.0:1. But in reality it looks like you are crising closer to 13.8 or 13.9:1. Which would explain your fuel economy being low. I would like to see them make a cruising run at the dyno with the A/F table left at 14.4 to see what it's really doing. Hope this helpw, feel free toPM me or post more on this thread if you need anymore help.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Taylorized
Road Master

Originally Posted by harleytuner
I'm having a hard time matching the colors with the perspective lines on the A/F printout, but you are running rich, that's for certain. As close as I can make out, at 15% at 2250 RPM they have you "calibrated" at about 12.5:1. They say they have you set to cruise at 14.4 which would be true if your calibration was right at 13.0:1. But in reality it looks like you are crising closer to 13.8 or 13.9:1. Which would explain your fuel economy being low. I would like to see them make a cruising run at the dyno with the A/F table left at 14.4 to see what it's really doing. Hope this helpw, feel free toPM me or post more on this thread if you need anymore help.
So what do I do Now??

Old 04-05-2009, 10:55 AM
molsen
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Harleytuner, appricate taking time and helping me out. Sorry I was not so clear, but you reafirm what I was thinking.

Taylor: you need to lean up the mix too much unburned gas can wash down cylinders.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Taylorized
Road Master

Originally Posted by molsen
thanks, harleytuner, appricate taking time and helping me out. Sorry i was not so clear, but you reafirm what i was thinking.

Taylor: You need to lean up the mix too much unburned gas can wash down cylinders.
how??????????

Old 04-05-2009, 02:19 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Taylorized
how??????????
To be honest, it really need to be hooked up to a dyno again, I know that's not what you want to hear. But, I can see that your running pretty rich , but I don't know what throttle position it was ran out, if you are running the SERT then you need to get a copy of the MAP from the guy that tuned it to be able to make any changes at all, you cannot retreive the MAP from the Bike. If you are running a PCIII or something similar to that, than you can retreive the MAP but you wouldn't know what throttle position you are running rich at or how much to change it.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:21 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Taylorized
how??????????
To be honest, it really needs to be hooked up to a dyno again, I know that's not what you want to hear. I can see that your running pretty rich , but I don't know what throttle position it was ran at, if you are running the SERT then you need to get a copy of the MAP from the guy that tuned it to be able to make any changes at all, you cannot retreive the MAP from the Bike. If you are running a PCIII or something similar to that, than you can retreive the MAP but you wouldn't know what throttle position you are running rich at or how much to change it.

Quick Reply: Truth in dyno