Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truth in dyno

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:36 PM
Apendejo
Road Warrior
Received 523 Likes on 296 Posts

Again, what about the DJ Tunelink?
AP

Old 04-04-2009, 07:23 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyD
I am at their mercy, and I wish I knew some questions to ask the tuner I select to get an idea if he's blowin smoke or knows his stuff and will do right by me. Several tuners within a 100 miles of me and quite a variety of prices quoted.......

Thanks H-Tuner! It's nice to have people on here who can help us from time to time. Go enjoy your ride
Your best bet when selecting a tuner is referrals. Ask around a bit. When you talk to the tuner, play dumb at first, tell him you don't understand why you have to have your bike tuned, then let him explain what it is he will be doing for you. We have a window in our dyno room, so the customer can watch his bike getting tuned. I have even brout customers in with me, given them a set of headphones and let them stand back and watch. We have a 60" plasma mounted on the wall in front of the bike, the customer can even see the live data from his bike. (RPM's, Speed, Etc.).

Old 04-04-2009, 07:29 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Apendejo
Again, what about the DJ Tunelink?
AP
DynoJet's done some great stuff, i've tuned alot of PCIII's with the Tunelink software. It's not my favorite setup, but it works and does just fine. I personally like the SERT and the SEST better, you have more control by being able to get into the ECM. All in alll, the Tunelink isn't bad.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:27 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
if they don't have a 250 dyno, they CANNOT perform a full tune. .
I agree with most of what you said, but not all.

There are other dyno manufacturers than DynaJet, so the above statement is simply inaccurate ~ DynaStar, Superflow, etc...

Furthermore, a Daytona Sensors TwinScan II+ can be used in conjunction with native dyno software to achieve a complete and full tune.

I agree with the "jist" (intent?) of your post, in that a significant percentage of folks that get dyno tunes are NOT getting full (PROPER) tunes and leave with noting but a "pretty" dyno sheet to make them feel good. THere is no substitute for a PROPER tune and anyone that does not agree, simply has never experienced one.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:00 AM
molsen
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I say we calibrate the bike to 13.2:1 AFR, that's not where we are telling the bike to run. That's were we are calibrating it at. Once we get it calibrated we can set the values back to Harle specs, or closer to them anyways. Let me try to explain it another way. Lets say your bike cruises at 55 MPH at 15% Throttle position and 2250 RPM's, Harley target AF is around 14.6:1. If you add high flow A/C and exhaust your bike will be alot leaner, so we have to "teach" your ECM, to do this we tell the ECM to seek 13.2:1, then we make a pass and see what it really is. We then make adjustments to correct the air flow and the fuel flow into the bike to get it as close to 13.2:1 as we can, once it's there, we can set your air fuel tables back to what Harley had, or close to it. I'll have to get some screen shots from super tuner and I can explain it easier.

The light came on, albeit dim though. I follow that you need to see where the ecm is trying to achieve the given afr on the map, and need to adjust to make sure the ecm learned what needs to be done to acheive that new target afr. I know I am trying to make this simpler than what is really involved, but in my case, am I just masking a potential problem by adjusting the afr to what I desire and running the bike to see where I am with the wide ban o2s and adjuating from there?

Old 04-04-2009, 09:55 AM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

Any one have experience with speeds performance plus? thinking of making a visit to them at laughlin

Old 04-04-2009, 10:41 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Harley Tuner.... This is good information. Thank you for taking the time to help us out.

G-

Old 04-04-2009, 11:15 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by PhilM
I agree with most of what you said, but not all.

There are other dyno manufacturers than DynaJet, so the above statement is simply inaccurate ~ DynaStar, Superflow, etc...

Furthermore, a Daytona Sensors TwinScan II+ can be used in conjunction with native dyno software to achieve a complete and full tune.

I agree with the "jist" (intent?) of your post, in that a significant percentage of folks that get dyno tunes are NOT getting full (PROPER) tunes and leave with noting but a "pretty" dyno sheet to make them feel good. THere is no substitute for a PROPER tune and anyone that does not agree, simply has never experienced one.
Very true and I appologize. There are many other capable Dynos out there that work fine for tuning. Let me rephrase it if I may. If the dyno doesn't have load control, they won't be able to do a full tune. Id they don't have an a/f meter they won't be able to give you a full tune.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:20 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by molsen
The light came on, albeit dim though. I follow that you need to see where the ecm is trying to achieve the given afr on the map, and need to adjust to make sure the ecm learned what needs to be done to acheive that new target afr. I know I am trying to make this simpler than what is really involved, but in my case, am I just masking a potential problem by adjusting the afr to what I desire and running the bike to see where I am with the wide ban o2s and adjuating from there?
You can adjust it to what you desire, but that doesn't mean that that's where it will be running. Unless it has been calibrated you're really not doing anything but enetering values. It can really be harmfull. Say you want to lean your bike out a little in a certain range, so you pull up your file and see that that range is set to 14.2:1 so you figure, sure, I can go a little leaner and bump it up to 14.6:1 and you think your safe.. But if your bike wasn't calibrated right in that range to begin with, it might actually be running leaner, say even just a little, could be realistically running at 15.4:1.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:25 PM
molsen
Road Master

You can adjust it to what you desire, but that doesn't mean that that's where it will be running. Unless it has been calibrated you're really not doing anything but enetering values. It can really be harmfull. Say you want to lean your bike out a little in a certain range, so you pull up your file and see that that range is set to 14.2:1 so you figure, sure, I can go a little leaner and bump it up to 14.6:1 and you think your safe.. But if your bike wasn't calibrated right in that range to begin with, it might actually be running leaner, say even just a little, could be realistically running at 15.4:1.
I am looking at the afr table as a basis of what my desired target is. From there, I obtain data from the twin scan and then go into the VE tables and adjusting accordingly for front and rear values from what the twin scan is seeing via the 02s and what the afr table is in SERT. That is where I think I am confused from what you are saying. I use the afr table as a guide and after I ride for a little bit, I go back download my data from the twin scan and look at what diffrential values on the ve tables from the twin scan sees from the o2s to what I have in SERT. I adjust the VE tables based on the diffrence between SERT afr tables and what the twin scan sees from the ecm and the info from the o2 sensors.

More I am thinking about it I am getting a similar outcome, but doing it a diffrent way, as long as I am understanding you correctly. For if I wanted to lean the mixture in a cell. I would have to input/change the afr value into SERT and hook up my Twin scan(TS) and get the info from the TS after a run and then go into SERT and adjust my ve table for each cylinder of that affected cell from the data from TS.

Quick Reply: Truth in dyno