Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truth in dyno

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 10:47 PM
Sancho
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible to get a bad dyno reading?

Old 01-31-2010, 04:00 AM
hotpursuit
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
You can adjust it to what you desire, but that doesn't mean that that's where it will be running. Unless it has been calibrated you're really not doing anything but enetering values. It can really be harmfull. Say you want to lean your bike out a little in a certain range, so you pull up your file and see that that range is set to 14.2:1 so you figure, sure, I can go a little leaner and bump it up to 14.6:1 and you think your safe.. But if your bike wasn't calibrated right in that range to begin with, it might actually be running leaner, say even just a little, could be realistically running at 15.4:1.

No Doubt! setting up an afr table MEANS NOTHING if you have not calibrated the VE tables!
but i would not agree with going back to harleys fuel map.... definately not in more performance builds.. you have to dial the afr in by what the scoot and tools are telling you.
and if the timming table you start with with is way off either way this will effect the ve table and require another ve run to make sure the calibration is still good. (doesnt happen too often)

and yeap, love the tuners that say it was tuned for performance not fuel milage...horse dookie! hello its electronic tune... why would you want performance at 15% tps... tune for cruising ( i ask what speeds they run at so im sure to get there target area) and then you go ahead and work out the upper tps for performance.. my 120 motor got 42 mpg at 75mph traveled all across the country.

good thread Htuner...

Old 01-31-2010, 06:36 AM
Varooom
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I am in the process of finishing up a 103 build on my 08 RG. I have a SERT. I will have the bike tuned properly after some break-in miles.
Whats the best way to get a "safe" tune to break-in the motor before having it properly tuned?
I assume I will select a map that is close to my build and just hope for the best for the first 1000 miles?
Is there anything I can do to the canned map untill break-in is over?

Thanks for your time,

Doug

Old 01-31-2010, 06:45 AM
EasyriderFI
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting

Being a dyno tuner it troubles me to see some of your printouts posted on here. Their are different units of measure to measure horse power and torque. The main 2 I see here is STD and SAE. STD is a unit that is used over in Europe and is about 2 - 3% higher than SAE (which is how we measure H.P. in the States). So if your printout says STD smoothing anywhere on it, and you live in the states, than your tuner is giving you false info. There is only 2 reasons I can think of that tuners would do this, 1 is that they just don't know any better and 2 is that they are trying to have higher #'s to make them look better. The other thing that bugs me is some of the A/F lines I see, or lack of. Bottom line is, if they can't read your A/F then they CANNOT perform a full tune, if they don't have a 250 dyno, they CANNOT perform a full tune. If they give you a "full tune" and don't show you the A/F calibration then they are hiding something. If you do have the A/F on your printout, it should be relatively a straight line, at around 13.2 : 1. Anything below that line is rich and anything above it is lean. That's NOT where your bike is running, (when you get it back) that is just where it is calibrated. Your Dyno lines should be smooth, when they get real wavy, usually at higher RPM's then your timing is probably off.

I have seen many posters on here that attempt to tune there own bikes off of their dyno printout, It can't be done properly. Your printout is only showing 1 cylinder at full throttle, it might me totally different at other throttle positions, so if your printout shows your bike is running rich at 2500 RPM's and you decide to lean it out a little across the board, guess what? Your bike might of already been lean at cruising and you just leaned it out more.
Great information.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:52 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Sancho
Is it possible to get a bad dyno reading?
If the dyno is maintained,set up right and calibrated, your readings should be fine. Your bikes has to be maintained as well, proper tirepressure, is important, temperarues are important to. So I guess the answer would be YES, it is possile to get a bad dyno read out.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:56 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Varooom
I am in the process of finishing up a 103 build on my 08 RG. I have a SERT. I will have the bike tuned properly after some break-in miles.
Whats the best way to get a "safe" tune to break-in the motor before having it properly tuned?
I assume I will select a map that is close to my build and just hope for the best for the first 1000 miles?

Thanks for your time,

Doug
You start out with a close MAP file, you can richen up the AFR tables a few points to be sure you are not too lean. PM me your build and your e-mail addy and I'll get you something if you'd like. It's nice to put yupr bike on a dyno and make some cruising speed runs for your break in. Try to get it to cruise around 14.4 or so A/F. You can make a quick 100% TP run up to about 4500 RPM to.

Last edited by harleytuner; 01-31-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:06 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great post just read thru the 11 pages and alot of great info and learned somethings as well as iam getting ready to take my bike in for a sest and dyno. Going to shoot you a pm as well Harley tuner.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Varooom

Thanks for your time,

Doug
Just have it broken in on the dyno. You can seat the rings in less than 15 minutes and you are good to go.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:07 AM
Mr E
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread, thanx harley tuner

Old 01-31-2010, 12:08 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Being a dyno tuner it troubles me to see some of your printouts posted on here.
This is an old thread, but it wouldn't hurt to offer a belated thanks for the informative explanation. I'm not a tuner and didn't know about the STD/SAE difference, but similarly I get distressed when someone says "My bike was tuned on an XYZ dyno which gives numbers about 10-15% lower than a DynoJet." Why is that, and why a separate Euro and U.S. standard? Isn't HP a fixed value based on a mathematical formula or do we have quarter-horses and Shetland ponies in the dyno world? Torque is based on a formula for sure since all HP/TQ charts intersect at 5252 RPM, which is dictated by this formula.

Last summer someone posted a chart with numbers lower than expected, and Jamie at Fuel Moto came in to explain that humidity and temperature was higher than ideal on that run (too hot and too humid), which biased the results. Well, don't these dynos have settings to automatically adjust for these changing conditions? It ought to be something that could be just dialed in, or automatically compiled by on-board instruments.

If you do have the A/F on your printout, it should be relatively a straight line, at around 13.2 : 1. Anything below that line is rich and anything above it is lean.
I have my PCV-AT values above 80% TP set to 13.0. Should I re-set to 13.2? I've always heard that 12.8-13.2 is ideal for WOT, so I settled on the midpoint.

Good points on the need for a full tune, not just at WOT.

Last edited by iclick; 01-31-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Truth in dyno