Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on repairing an inner fairing

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 05:15 PM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm hesitant to paint it Dave. I've treated it with Turtle Wax ICE many times and I'd be worried that the surface is contaminated from it and would either fisheye or just not bond. Plus, the bike is Crimson Sunglo, which is a 3 stage paint and the cost of materials alone would be pretty steep. Maybe if I get a replacement I may experiment and try painting this one with SEM vinyl and plastic dye or Deltron DBI in a flat color that is a close match. I'll post if I decide to do anything like that. Thanks for your help

Old 04-03-2009, 05:22 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by omgtkk
I'm hesitant to paint it Dave. I've treated it with Turtle Wax ICE many times and I'd be worried that the surface is contaminated from it and would either fisheye or just not bond. Plus, the bike is Crimson Sunglo, which is a 3 stage paint and the cost of materials alone would be pretty steep. Maybe if I get a replacement I may experiment and try painting this one with SEM vinyl and plastic dye or Deltron DBI in a flat color that is a close match. I'll post if I decide to do anything like that. Thanks for your help

mine is brandywine sunglo 3 stage but the 3rd stage aint nothing just a clear . Mine didnt match perfect but it will do and its a lot easier to clean than that damn flat black with no clear ! I coulda just repainted mine black witha flat clear but i didnt .. you can clean them and prolly not have a problem with paint the first thing to do is pull it and wash it with dish soap about 3 times.. that stuff kills most everything. then a good wax and grease remover before sanding and after and you would prolly be good... but thats if you decide to do so.. Have fun and ride a lot.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Our07Ultra
+1 on the body shop material. They may ask you what it is made of. Inside of the fairing is stamped with some fairly large letters like PP or PS. That code represents the material. Sorry I don't have one apart here at work or I could be more specific.

Thanks for the heads-up on the lettering. I'm filling the antenna holes in the SG facia and used some plastic sheet material in the back to provide a base, then filled with Bondo Glass and glazing putty. Should be okay as the SG facia says PPE on the backside. Time will tell.