Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on repairing an inner fairing

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:34 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by omgtkk
Dave, I talked to the autobody supply place up here and they recommend a SEM product for repairing ABS. It's pricey, but they have it in stock and I can likely get the repair finished tonight. I may try to find some ABS sheet and glue it over the repair to provide some reinforcement. All the work will be done from the underside, so I should be able to keep it pretty unnoticeable. I appreciate your help and if I can't find any ABS locally I may take you up on your offer for a few scraps

Hey no problem... Im sure the auto body stuff aint cheap and i really done know if its a better option but I will assume it is.. You know brand name buying and all .. Ya if you cant find any abs just let me know ill send some out your way ... Oh ya SEM makes good stuff....

Old 04-02-2009, 12:54 PM
cfmii11
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy one on Ebay get it painted and swap it out.
It looks great.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:26 PM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I can find one on Ebay this season for a good price, I may just do that too. But for now I have to fix this one and get back on the road.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Buzzsaw
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are many on ebay right now, starting from low prices. I bought a T/O 08 for my EGC, had it painted and put it on my 07.

Last edited by Buzzsaw; 04-04-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:25 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

let us know how it comes out...

Old 04-02-2009, 07:46 PM
omgtkk
Road Master

Scott I sent you a PM about yours. There is only one inner fairing on ebay right now and it is an earlier model with damage.. Anything 2004 on up would be interchangeable. Do you still have yours and are you interested in selling it?

Old 04-02-2009, 08:48 PM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

EZ Fix....Buy a new/take off, off of ebay, today there are 2 or 3 listed. EZ replacement...takes about 2 or 3 hours....Just my 2 cents

Old 04-02-2009, 09:44 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just looked at the inside of a RG fairing (don't know what year) and it says PPE + PS + PE.
Polyphenylene Ether (PPE) Features & Uses Feature Generic Abrasion Resistance, Good PPE+PS+PP Acid Resistant PPE Adhesion, Good PPE+PS Alcohol Resistant PPE Alkali Resistant PPE...

Maybe the new ones are ABS.

Just an FYI

Old 04-03-2009, 03:55 PM
omgtkk
Road Master

OK, here's an update on the repair. The inner fairing is definitely NOT ABS. It doesn't react with any of the solvents that would weld ABS. So I found a Permatex two-part epoxy that they specify for plastic repair. I widened the crack on the backside of the fairing and applied the Permatex product to the two sides of the crack. It seemed to provide a pretty good joint. I then cut a piece of ABS to use as an overlay patch, roughed up both surfaces with 180 grit and used the Permatex to bond the patch to the backside. I have it clamped in place now. I think it will provide a pretty decent structural repair, but the crack is still visible from the outside of the fairing. So the repair will have me back on the road by tomorrow, but I'll likely replace the inner fairing in a couple of months when the budget has room in it for a new piece, or I find a take-off on Ebay.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:59 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by omgtkk
OK, here's an update on the repair. The inner fairing is definitely NOT ABS. It doesn't react with any of the solvents that would weld ABS. So I found a Permatex two-part epoxy that they specify for plastic repair. I widened the crack on the backside of the fairing and applied the Permatex product to the two sides of the crack. It seemed to provide a pretty good joint. I then cut a piece of ABS to use as an overlay patch, roughed up both surfaces with 180 grit and used the Permatex to bond the patch to the backside. I have it clamped in place now. I think it will provide a pretty decent structural repair, but the crack is still visible from the outside of the fairing. So the repair will have me back on the road by tomorrow, but I'll likely replace the inner fairing in a couple of months when the budget has room in it for a new piece, or I find a take-off on Ebay.

Ebay is where id look but.. if the repair seems to be strong enuff then why not sand the outer surface and add some filler and paint it .. Done deal.. I was told they were abs but i guess we are both a little smarter now.. I used to build plastic molds and i never relied on any numbers on a part having anything relating to the material but i was wrong once this week

Quick Reply: Need advice on repairing an inner fairing