Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pic's of ape hangers on touring bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:54 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Jswerve
I'm installing the 13" cyclesmiths now. Bars are mounted just need to switch out the lines for the new extended lines and bleed the hydraulic clutch and brakes. I rolled them forward all the way. I have the HD adjustable backrest that will come to me if I can't lean back far enough. I sat on lots of bikes with different apes and always thought these bars just fit me.
What brought your around to the world of apes? I thought you really liked your 2+2's. I could be wrong but I think this is a move you'll really enjoy.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 02-13-2014, 09:11 AM
Chicago Harley Boy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-13-2014, 09:45 AM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SBates08
What brought your around to the world of apes? I thought you really liked your 2+2's. I could be wrong but I think this is a move you'll really enjoy.

I liked the pullback. I didn't have the 2+2's I had the +2 sweepers. What I didn't like was the reaching down. I found myself slumping in the saddle on long trips and getting bad posture and lower back pain as well as some in the shoulder blades. The apes look awesome I always thought and when I sat down they feel like they will keep me upright thus eliminating a lot of the above stated issues. Also, I found the sweepers made the bike harder to lift off the jiffy stand which I am told the apes will cure.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:59 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jswerve
I liked the pullback. I didn't have the 2+2's I had the +2 sweepers. What I didn't like was the reaching down. I found myself slumping in the saddle on long trips and getting bad posture and lower back pain as well as some in the shoulder blades. The apes look awesome I always thought and when I sat down they feel like they will keep me upright thus eliminating a lot of the above stated issues. Also, I found the sweepers made the bike harder to lift off the jiffy stand which I am told the apes will cure.
Not sure I agree with it being easier to get off the jiffy stand but that will depend on bar height too. Mine measure right at 16" so that could be the difference. Apes should take care of the rest of the issues you mentioned. Probably the only thing I've found about apes that I don't like is the lesser amount of leverage you have if you get into a situation where your bike is going down, for instance coming to a slow stop and the front tire slips out from under you. I think we've all had bad moments. I could hold the bike and keep it from hitting the ground but could not bring it back up because the bar height changed my leverage angle. Had to set it down and pick it up from the side. Not trying to deter you at all just some insight for people who may not have experienced that. Post up some pics when your done.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:31 AM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Not sure I agree with it being easier to get off the jiffy stand but that will depend on bar height too. Mine measure right at 16" so that could be the difference. Apes should take care of the rest of the issues you mentioned. Probably the only thing I've found about apes that I don't like is the lesser amount of leverage you have if you get into a situation where your bike is going down, for instance coming to a slow stop and the front tire slips out from under you. I think we've all had bad moments. I could hold the bike and keep it from hitting the ground but could not bring it back up because the bar height changed my leverage angle. Had to set it down and pick it up from the side. Not trying to deter you at all just some insight for people who may not have experienced that. Post up some pics when your done.

I dropped my bike in August after 12 hours on the road coming home from Sturgis. Had the bike fully loaded with tour pak, wife, and all our stuff. Pulled the bike up and release the clutch started moving slowly left and the bike just leaned a bit too much and next thing you know we were both one foot on the ground holding the bike a cpl inches off the ground lol. A guy came running over and helped us lift it upright. Not a scratch.

As far as the deterring thing, it's done bars are wired and installed just waiting to finish the cables. I also sold my D&D and have a Dragos Dragula waiting to be installed!

Truth is, I really wanted apes last year but was just too lazy to do the wiring and cable extensions. I didn't want to do 10's don't like having bar mounted mirrors so I tried the sweepers. Never liked the wrist angle on the sweepers, too straight kinda bothered my wrists.

Wish I could ride now winter sucks!

Old 02-13-2014, 11:07 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

I agree...winter sucks. I think we're all jonesin to ride. Gonna be upper 60's here this wknd so I'll definitely be soaking up the wind.
We were in Pigeon Forge last summer and I dropped mine twice in 5mins while up in the hills looking for our cabin. First was just a bonehead move on my part. Rolling up to a stop sign on a wet 1 lane back road I grabbed my front brake a little too hard just as I hit the white strip of paint at the stop sign and my front tire slipped out from under me. I stopped it from slamming the ground but fully loaded with gear and the wife I couldn't bring it back up. The 2nd time I think my nerves just got the best of me on the slick roads we were on. Hope the bars are what your lookin for. Make sure to post some pics when your done. I love that year CVO that you have. I've got a buddy that has the Slate. Those are the best looking SG's I think they've ever built.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:17 AM
mlbuckner
Novice
Default Carlini Gangster Apes 16"

Just got the Black Gloss 16" Carlini Gangster Apes on my 2009 Road King. Planning on blacking out the bike. Let me know what you think.

Attached Thumbnails pic's of ape hangers on touring bikes?-img_1020.jpg   pic's of ape hangers on touring bikes?-img_0998.jpg   pic's of ape hangers on touring bikes?-img_1021.jpg  
Old 02-13-2014, 11:21 AM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Make sure to post some pics when your done. I love that year CVO that you have. I've got a buddy that has the Slate. Those are the best looking SG's I think they've ever built.

Thanks and I agree they are gorgeous and I have yet to see a factory bike turn my head like the '12 CVO SG. I will defintely put up pics when the bike is fully assembled and ready to ride!

Lucky you on the 60's weather. We have been in the negatives mostly but today it's already 39 about a 50 degree swing!!!

Heading to Miami next week for a 5 day cruise with the wife and kiddos so a little relief in sight!

Old 02-13-2014, 11:42 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

I'll agree to that.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:26 PM
Freedomrider13
Novice

New member here. Thought I would add mine to the collection. 2005 Road King with 16" Wild 1 Chubby's. Rides like a dream.

Attached Thumbnails pic's of ape hangers on touring bikes?-photo-2-.jpg   pic's of ape hangers on touring bikes?-photo-4-.jpg  

Quick Reply: pic's of ape hangers on touring bikes?