Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pic's of ape hangers on touring bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 08:40 AM
GLIDEGUY75
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a 2011 flhx wanting 12' apes what if any cables will have to be changed have heard different story's. Has any one put a set on and can help with this

Old 01-28-2014, 09:32 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Im 5-8" and when Im relaxed on a cruise the 14's are shoulder height...I can rack up the miles when I rocket the super slab....sig pic

Old 01-28-2014, 10:07 AM
stan60
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

11" Santees for me. I'm 5'11" and these put my arms pretty much straight out (horizontal) when I'm sat back in the seat. Very comfortable for me.

Attached Thumbnails pic's of ape hangers on touring bikes?-new-bars3.jpg   pic's of ape hangers on touring bikes?-riding.jpg  
Old 01-31-2014, 09:17 AM
jimfount00
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default FLHX Twin Peaks 12"

Thought I would share these pics with you guys. When I was on the hunt for ape hangers for my Street Glide I couldn't find anyone in my area that was actually running them. That and I didn't want to walk up to some guy I didn't know and ask him to sit on his bike.

So...I searched long and hard through this forum and saw pics of a lot that I really liked. Loved the look of the PYO Monkey Bars and went into my local aftermarket shop to put them on order. It was tough putting almost $400 down for a set of handlebars but whatever...you only live once and you can't take it with you when you die right?

The shop called me about 3 days later to let me know that they were not going to be in until mid February (This was the 3rd week of January). Being an impatient man I told them to hold off while I did a little more searching.

I found the LA Choppers Prime Apes and thought they looked just as good as the Monkey Bars and for less. (Although not a lot less)

After seeing them on some bikes online and reading about them I decided I didn't want them to be that wide. They were a couple inches wider than the Monkey Bars.

I saw the LA Choppers Twin Peaks 12" next on their site. They weren't as wide and still looked great. Plus they were only $194! Sold...

They came in a few days later and the install couldn't have been easier! I drove to my local aftermarket shop, dropped it off, went to the airport for work and by the time I was back they were done! I don't have the patience to wrench and I definitely know my limitations. (Although I could have saved a few hundred bucks my sanity is worth more)

Now, it did take me a couple of rides to get used to them and so far they are great. I am more comfortable riding although my arms will have to get used to being up higher. I no longer feel like I'm sitting ON the bike but now I'm PART of the bike. Now that I've ridden a few times I can see how being a tiny bit wider would be nice but I do like the look and comfort of these. I have no regrets and I think they are going to be perfect the next couple of miles I put on her.

All in all I purchased the bars, chrome brake and clutch lever from Harley, chrome brake fluid cap (Harley), chrome screw set (Harley), kept the black buttons, stainless steel clutch and brake cable (upper only for now to keep cost down and it still looks awesome), wire extensions, fluid, etc. With labor I was right at the $1000 mark. Could have bought less expensive clutch and brake levers but honestly the Harley Chrome quality is great and the dealership is right up the street.

Here are some pics for those out shopping. Its in my garage last night and I will try to get some of me riding so you can see placement of hands, arms, etc. as soon as it quits raining here in The Sunshine State.

I am 6' tall and have 33" inseam for those who are comparing. With my longer legs, the Kuryakyn Flip Boards which are higher than stock by an inch and a half are even more comfortable. I was about to take those off and get something lower but now they feel a lot better since I'm sitting a little different on the bike. Much happier now and I feel like I have even more control.

By the way, yes I can see out of my mirrors just fine. It just feels a little different at first but you will get used to looking under your arm rather than around your knuckles from the stock bars. My Hog Tunes Tweeter Pod still sounds great and I can even hear out of the hog tunes fairing speakers better since the bars aren't blocking them. That is a huge bonus because now my speakers sound better and louder. (Which Hog Tunes are great by the way and sounded awesome before this) WAY BETTER THAN STOCK!

Last edited by jimfount00; 12-16-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:19 AM
jimfount00
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GLIDEGUY75
Got a 2011 flhx wanting 12' apes what if any cables will have to be changed have heard different story's. Has any one put a set on and can help with this
I replaced the brake and clutch cable because 1) I wanted stainless steel and 2) I've heard that you can stretch the stock and they will work fine but I didn't want them to do that. Keep it as safe and comfy for me as can be.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:25 AM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Installing Cyclesmith 13" apes. Doing them myself. Got the bars on sale for $173.99 shipped to my door from Easter PC. Bars normally run close to $250. Need to buy longer lines for my hydraulic clutch and ABS front brake line. Looks like I will have around $425 and my time. Dealer quoted me just under $1400.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:29 PM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Looks nice. Finally decided on a set?

Old 01-31-2014, 10:56 PM
rbg00600
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out my signature pic to see my Wild 1 10" pullbacks. Really made for a comfortable ride. I am only 5'8" though and also added a Mustang Daytripper seat to push me back a little.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:22 AM
Brykwil
Tourer

Vindikta 14" 1-1/2 Best Mod to date!

Attached Thumbnails pic's of ape hangers on touring bikes?-image.jpg  

Last edited by Brykwil; 02-01-2014 at 03:31 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:44 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,889 Likes on 11,575 Posts

16" LA Choppers Twin Peaks .....
Ideal height for me, minimal pullback allows my arms
to extend and not have my elbows tucked into my ribs,
wrist angle is very comfortable for 500 plus mile days....
Width could have possibly been a couple inches wider, not sure.

Overall I'm 100% satisfied with comfort and style of these....

Attached Thumbnails pic's of ape hangers on touring bikes?-p5180034-medium-.jpg   pic's of ape hangers on touring bikes?-img_6074-medium-.jpg  

Quick Reply: pic's of ape hangers on touring bikes?