Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pic's of ape hangers on touring bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 11:55 AM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SH_01FXDWG
Check out this link. Its a set of Monkey bars being installed that way.

http://www.americanbagger.com/pdf/monkeybars.pdf
That's a nice article. You will still have to loosen the bolts and slide the radio back as in the pictures. I added 12" Monkey bars and didn't extend wires just moved the plugs under the radio. Completely removing the radio made is much easier if you're doing that. I just used cable ties to hold my amp up at the top of the inner fairing so I didn't have to disconnect any of those wires.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:26 PM
shredsurf
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=aggro_jo;8683906]For you big guys looking for comfort over appearance....

Sit on your bike with your arms hanging straight down at your sides then have someone measure 3 inches up from your elbow. That is the height your bars should be.

Many ergonomics studies have reached the exact same conclusion that having your hands 2-3 inches higher than your elbow with the arms relaxed is the best position for the body to be in for any length of time. This also does wonders to prevent back/neck strain.[quote]

I like it...and gotta give this sizing method a try!!

Old 12-15-2011, 01:10 AM
deepsea
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im 5'7" and have 16s on my RK. I had 16s on my sporty. My hands are just above my shoulders and wouldnt have it any other way. Its awesome for long trips. The pain in your neck will be gone.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:31 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I sat on a SG with 13" Cyclesmiths and loved 'em. Nice and wide, perfect height and I'm 6'0" with kinda long arms.

Getting a complete set, pre-wired, controls installed from Hill Country Customs. 12" apes yet the specs are identical to Cyclesmiths (I'm guessing they are the same bars) Good/great website showing all the packages. GF is giving it to me for Xmas. She's the best!

Old 12-15-2011, 01:46 AM
JCCASH
Cruiser

Can you see your mirror OK? I'm thinking of added 12 to 14" bars but ... my inside batwing is painted and not sure what to do about mirrors and really don't want to have to order a new inner batwing just to keep from having a hole in it if I replace the mirrors.

Originally Posted by SG_Dave
I have the 12" Yaffes and a buddy has the 13" HCC. I think they both look great. Mine look about 1.5 -2" taller. His look a couple of inches wider. Not sure how they come up with 12". I measured using a square on the counter from the base to the grip (not the point) and I got 14". When you look at pics check out how vertical the bars are. When they are pushed forward they look taller. The best advice is check them out at a bike night or at the biker bar. I can't tell you how many people have sat on my bike to check them out. Make sure you ask first though!

Old 12-15-2011, 03:57 AM
sublime_ac
Road Master

Originally Posted by JCCASH
Can you see your mirror OK? I'm thinking of added 12 to 14" bars but ... my inside batwing is painted and not sure what to do about mirrors and really don't want to have to order a new inner batwing just to keep from having a hole in it if I replace the mirrors.
It depends on your particular line of site.. You can always cover the holes...

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...baggachips.htm

They come in black too...

Old 12-15-2011, 04:44 AM
JCCASH
Cruiser

Thank you for the link. My inner batwing color is the Merlot Sunglo. I've looked a a number of pictures on this forum and see some of the bikes simply use the original mirrors that come with the Street Glides and some have used the covers and added new mirrors to their new handle bars.

Originally Posted by sublime_ac

Old 12-15-2011, 05:47 AM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

12.5 Wild 1's.

Attached Thumbnails pic's of ape hangers on touring bikes?-photo.jpg   pic's of ape hangers on touring bikes?-rkc.jpg  
Old 12-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Couldn't use the stock mirrors when stock anyway, replaced the mirrors with standard ones and have a nicer pair picked out for the HCC 12s.

Did inexpensive plastic plugs, looks fine.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:45 AM
frankiefire702
Road Master

Wow. Thats alot of $$$ for those little covers.
Originally Posted by sublime_ac

Quick Reply: pic's of ape hangers on touring bikes?