Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crease on back of front fender??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 02:57 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Crease on back of front fender??

I installed a FLST front end on my Super Glide about a year ago. Last fall I installed an engine guard.

Not long after that, I noticed there was a mysterious dent across the back of my fender between about the 10 O'Clock and 11 O'Clock position (when viewed from the right side).

I was recently told that it was on account of the front end bottoming out and coming into contact with the horizontal member of the engine guard.

I am trying to ascertain how common an occurrence this is and if there's anything that can be done about it -- other than watching the road conditions more carefully to avoid bottoming out the front end.

Any experience or tips are appreciated. Thanks!

R/
Priest

Old 04-01-2009, 03:11 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, i'm not sure how "common" it is, but it happened to me. hit a pot hole doing about 60 on the freeway and bottomed out my front fender. One of these days i'll get around to fixing it. heavier weight fork oil has improved my front suspension, and i haven't had occasion to bottom the front out again.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:46 PM
stlbluesr1
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened to someone I know, make sure engine guard is installed correctly. His was mounted on the outside of the top bracket instead of on the inside? Probably not your situation but worth a look.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:55 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by stlbluesr1
Happened to someone I know, make sure engine guard is installed correctly. His was mounted on the outside of the top bracket instead of on the inside? Probably not your situation but worth a look.
I take it you're giving me a little ribbing ... ?

Actually, I am using a 'touring' type engine guard (on a Dyna) ... it fits, but part of the 'work around' is it only goes outside of the top bracket ...!

Guess maybe I'll just have to use heavier fork oil and exercise greater caution ....

I wouldn't think that an inch or so would've made much of a difference, but that may explain it ....

R/
Priest

Old 04-01-2009, 04:03 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

priest has is the dobeck working for you i have the arlen ness version and so far

i am happy with it-RIDE SAFE

Old 04-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 1,425 Posts

We have a big fender on the front of our Sportster and an engine guard. Happened to use too, but only with me riding it.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:37 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Dobeck works great ... I understand they manufacture the 'black box' for several name brand 'labels' ....

R/
Priest

Old 04-01-2009, 04:49 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about your front fender, but let me tell you....you really did a nice job mounting that front end on that Dyna. It really looks great! I did the same thing on an FXSTC a few years back. Had to change the tripple trees, and converted it to a Heritage front end. And I really like that bike. Well done! Heavier fork oil, and/or a 1 to 1 1/2" spacer plug inside, on top of the springs.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:32 PM
UALCapt
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful job on your Dyna! With the floorboards, she looks like an old FL. I did something similar with my old '02 Fat Boy. Was the front end replacement pretty straight forward?

Attached Thumbnails Crease on back of front fender??-motorcycles-47.jpg  

Last edited by UALCapt; 04-01-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:03 PM
ELECTRICMONKEY
Cruiser

Awsome front end. I had the same problem on the stock fender when I put a disk lock in the hole in the frame. I had a girl on the back and as I rode the lock dented the fender bottoming out. I used HD sceaming eagle Heavy duty fork oil and it never happened again.

Quick Reply: Crease on back of front fender??