Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide LED mod with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 11:52 AM
LUBA
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Yup, did mine a few weeks ago. Used the 4 1/2" strips.

I marked the location of the ribs (where the light shines through the lens) on the light body and attached the LED strips to the 3 locations. That way the light shines directly outward.

I have the top & bottom strips as running lights & brake lights and the center strip as a running light only.

I used a dual element circuit on the top and bottom strips.Lights stay slightly dimmer while used as running lights and go full strength as brake lights.

I used the electrical connector for the SG OEM LED fender light. The center connector that is empty is for the brake light circuit. I bought a connector pin from the HD dealer and ran my brake light wire to the empty connector.

I probably spent about $100 on the project but went from 4 LED lights to 90.
What part # did you get? Did you buy from custom dynamics?

Old 02-27-2010, 12:08 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LUBA
What part # did you get? Did you buy from custom dynamics?
http://www.hardcorelighting.com/index1.html?c207.html&1

Old 02-27-2010, 12:15 PM
LUBA
Cruiser

! assume you got 3 of the 30 led arrays and 2 of the ($4.99) dual-element circuits? How do those dual element things work? Do they make them 1/2 bright for running then switch to full bright when the brake is applied? Or do the use 1/2 the lights for runnning?

Thanks

Old 02-27-2010, 12:21 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

! assume you got 3 of the 30 led arrays and 2 of the ($4.99) dual-element circuits? How do those dual element things work? Do they make them 1/2 bright for running then switch to full bright when the brake is applied? Or do the use 1/2 the lights for runnning?

Thanks
Yes on the 90 LED's and you only need one dual element circuit. The single wire goes to the LED Hot Wires (red) inside the light housing and the other two wires go to (red) brake wire from bike / (orange) running light wire from bike.

It's a very easy install, just remember what wire goes where and you should have no problems.

Also, yes the dual element circuit does exactly what you stated..

Old 03-16-2010, 10:23 AM
LUBA
Cruiser

How did you mount the strips right behind the slots so they shine directly out the fender? My stock light ran out the side in a rubber conduit up the side filler panel and came out by the antenaa mount and plugged in to a connector on the rear fender. It plugged into a 3 wire connector but the light side only had the 2 outer to spots being used. The middle spot on the other side is a red/yellow wire which I assume is the brake. I plan on buying a new connector and pins to make mine plug right in.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:44 AM
LUBA
Cruiser

Also my stock 08 SG fender lights were not hooked into the taillight area. Mine went to a connector under the seat on the fender.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:17 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Also my stock 08 SG fender lights were not hooked into the taillight area. Mine went to a connector under the seat on the fender.
That's correct, use that connector. The middle opening is for the brake light. As far as the strip locations, with the lens in place on the bucket, mark the ends of each lens rib (where the light comes out of once mounted on the bike) on the white bucket. Remove lens and install the strips where the black marks are.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:13 PM
LUBA
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
That's correct, use that connector. The middle opening is for the brake light. As far as the strip locations, with the lens in place on the bucket, mark the ends of each lens rib (where the light comes out of once mounted on the bike) on the white bucket. Remove lens and install the strips where the black marks are.
So you just stuck them in the bucket? I see they fit on that curved part no problem. I thought some one stated they would not fit? Also did you connect all 3 strips to the dual element thing or just the top and bottom one?

Thanks

Old 03-16-2010, 09:30 PM
bruce sg08
Road Captain

spring check list discovered my lights where out looks like a new fix is in order. Thanks for the info, looking forward to seeing the install pics.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:51 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

So you just stuck them in the bucket? I see they fit on that curved part no problem. I thought some one stated they would not fit? Also did you connect all 3 strips to the dual element thing or just the top and bottom one?

Thanks
Just the top and bottom strips......I really don't think it matters where the strips are placed in the bucket, the light output will be bright enough to shine out....4 LEDs to 90 LEDs....

Quick Reply: Street Glide LED mod with Pics