Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide LED mod with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:06 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
PN 4015-10. Here:

http://www.customdynamics.com/flex_led_array.htm

Excellent customer service by the way.
Using that part number will only give you 75 LED's..... How long is the inside mounting surface of the light housing?

Old 04-02-2009, 07:40 AM
ncbeast
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would it possible to mount the new LED strips along the back of the housing instead of the bottom? This way the LEDs would shine straight out?

Also if you did this to one of the new ones that already have the run/brake could you just cut off the plug from the old board and wire the strips into that plug or would you also have to add the Dual element circuit for each strip?

Old 04-02-2009, 08:10 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ncbeast
Would it possible to mount the new LED strips along the back of the housing instead of the bottom? This way the LEDs would shine straight out?

Also if you did this to one of the new ones that already have the run/brake could you just cut off the plug from the old board and wire the strips into that plug or would you also have to add the Dual element circuit for each strip?
I was thinking the same thing...the strips are flexible, so they should conform to the back of the housing....Since I don't have mine apart, hopefully the original poster will chime in on this as far as allowable space in the housing...

Old 04-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Using that part number will only give you 75 LED's..... How long is the inside mounting surface of the light housing?
I typed the wrong part number previously. The packaging above shows PN 4001-13. If you use the Custom Dynamics search function with that part number it will say 40, not 30 LEDs. Must be a mistake on their website 'cause 4001-13 is the PN on the 30 LED packages I received, and IIRC, that's what the order says when you use their check-out.

I edited the post with the wrong PN.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ncbeast

The i.d. of the housing is 6". So that would be the maximum width for the LED strip.

The housing is curved across the front so its depth varies being the shortest at the ends and the deepest at its center. Using the 3 30 LED strips I used barely fits along the roof of the housing. Anything longer and the ends of the front strip would project out from the housing preventing the lens from fitting to the housing.

Also, to use the full width of the housing roof, the molded plastic channels at the ends would need to be removed. Since they are a "C" channel, they won't snap off like those brackets between them did, but a Dremel with the grinding attachment would probably remove them easily.

As for the HD run/brake connector, it already has three wires in it and could be used for this application. Using dual intensity LED's, however, is something I'm not familiar with and you should call Custom Dynamics and ask them about that application. Sounds promising.

As for mounting the LED strips along the back of the housing to face straight out through the lens, there is only .5" in height which would not be enough to mount two of these 30 LED strips. But you might find some other LED product that you could mount there.

Give Custom Dynamics a call and see what they have to say about their various LED products and their useage in this application. I didn't, but encourage others to do so. Unlike bigmeanie's installation which curves/arcs the LED strips, my application mounting the strips to the roof of the housing doesn't take advantage of the flexibility of the strips, so there may be a more cost-effective and/or brighter LED product if flexibility isn't a concern. Build a better mousetrap and tell us about it.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 04-02-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:48 AM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

Nice details on the tip here,

Thanks

Old 04-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Slammed Rod
Cruiser

WAit til you see it installed!! They will be bright!! I have over 200 of the same LEDs as brake/run/turn and reg turns on my Vrod.Super bright!!! I had to custom make mine also!! Made a plate under the edge of the seat and the strip light from the edge of my seat!! Really bright!! CAn't wait to see finished pics!!!Custom Dynamics is #1!! Lil pricey ,but well worth the price!!!

Old 04-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Bigmeanie
Novice
Talking Here are some pics with the light off then on

This is with just the running lights I couldn’t apply the break and take the picture at the same time. As you can see they are bright and get twice as bright when the breaks are applied.

Attached Thumbnails Street Glide LED mod with Pics-06-lights-off-no-tag.jpg   Street Glide LED mod with Pics-06-lights-on-no-tag.jpg  
Old 04-02-2009, 01:27 PM
jjlefty51
Road Warrior

Looks like a nice set up. Cant wait to hear how it performs.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:19 PM
youngrider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey!! Harleypingman...Im still waiting to see your bike finished You talked about it months back...The taillight is looking good!!

Quick Reply: Street Glide LED mod with Pics