Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sound deadning behind speakers work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigFokker
You are correct in that the fairing is not a sealed environment, but I honestly couldn't tell you if air flow (while in motion) plays a factor in the distortion you're hearing.
My first thought would be to ask if you are 100% sure that you are comparing the same sound pressure levels...meaning are you sure that you're comparing the same volume sitting still, than you are while you're riding and hearing the distortion?
i answered my first post without reading the entire thread, but your previous answer is pretty much spot on...

Old 04-14-2009, 07:38 PM
BigFokker
Tourer

Originally Posted by King Crimson
What I'm getting from this is....technically it will provide better sound under specific conditions. But the improvement is not worth the trouble, cost, and added weight.
Pretty much. For the discerning ear, yes a difference can be heard. For the untrained ear, don't waste your time and money, spend it on chrome
It doesn't really add much weight either. We're talking ounces, more than likely less than what would equal a pound (that's less than 16 ounces for those that celebrate the 420 holiday).

Originally Posted by cfmii11
I really don't think it makes much of a difference.
I think the speaker enclosures would work better.
The glove boxes converted to speaker boxes? Yes. Not by much, but I'll bet you'll hear a bigger difference from those than you will the fairing. Stuff those with Polyfill and you should be good. They still won't be air tight though, unless you get some made like what GTSDesigns showed us a while back. I wish I could afford to drop that kind of loot, but I'm bangin' on a budget.

Nice setup by the way GTS

Old 04-14-2009, 07:51 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

Originally Posted by BigFokker
Pretty much. For the discerning ear, yes a difference can be heard. For the untrained ear, don't waste your time and money, spend it on chrome
It doesn't really add much weight either. We're talking ounces, more than likely less than what would equal a pound (that's less than 16 ounces for those that celebrate the 420 holiday).

The glove boxes converted to speaker boxes? Yes. Not by much, but I'll bet you'll hear a bigger difference from those than you will the fairing. Stuff those with Polyfill and you should be good. They still won't be air tight though, unless you get some made like what GTSDesigns showed us a while back. I wish I could afford to drop that kind of loot, but I'm bangin' on a budget.

Nice setup by the way GTS
yes, thank you very much and the ones i made for the roadglide lowers are pretty much a sealed enclosure and sound amazing, i compared them to other setups, difference is night and day, on my bike adding the lowers made for a more full sounding sytem, just sounds amazing... my entire setup really doesnt take that much room though, still can store quite a bit and add a tourpack, for more space, when traveling...
started off like this:

ended like this:

Old 04-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I used dynamat in my fairing along with hogtune speakers. Installed the dynamat after I installed the speakers and I think it made a difference. I hear the tunes more clearly at all speeds for sure.