Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB's not working and dealer isn't very helpful....any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 01:34 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CB's not working and dealer isn't very helpful....any advice?

Hey everyone,

I carried in my Ultra last week because the CB quit working. It is an '09 with just over 1k miles on it. The cb worked for about the first 300 miles and then it went out. When I push the PTT button on the cb it interupts the radio but won't transmit anything. When someone on another bike pushes the PTT it interupts the radio but doesn't transmit anything. I am using a J&M elite headset and the intercom/radio works perfectly through it. My dealer is quick to say it is a headset problem but I just don't believe it is. J and M assures me if the speakers/mic is working for the intercom/radio then the headset is operating properly.....and I would think that is correct. Has anyone else encountered this type of scenario with their CB? My dealers service rep is quick to blame the aftermarket headset but I just don't believe that is my problem. Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:49 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't have CB but some things you might want to try to eliminate possible causes:

1. Does it work with the H-D headset you should have gotten with the Ultra when you bought it? If you have a friend who has the H-D set-up, try theirs also. If the H-D headset works, then maybe the J&M is the problem. If the H-D headset doesn't work, then I believe the CB has a problem. And, of course, they can always use the "The aftermarket headset screwed your CB up" excuse.

2. Let a friend use your J&M headset with his CB and see what happens. If it works for him, then the J&M is probably not the problem.Then you might go so far as to go to the dealer, ask about doing a test of the J&M on a bike they have on showroom floor. I don't know how they'll take to that as they're already blaming the J&M for the problem and throw out the "We don't want to do that kind of a test because it might screw up the CB".

3. Do you have a friend with a J&M headset you could try? If the 2nd J&M headset works, then your headset is problem.

You could always take friend along and show dealer how the headsets - J&M and H-D - work/doesn't work on their bike(assuming it is also a 2009) for comparison sake. If you can recreate the problem right in front of them, they will be more likely to not blow you off. As lots of us find out, their immediate response in most cases is either "All of them do that" or "We didn't find anything wrong".

Good luck.

I had a problem with 2004 EGC radio. It would play a CD but all of the sudden start skipping or just not play any music. Dropped it off at dealer and picked it up 2 - 3 days later with the "We can't make the problem happen. So there's nothing wrong." response from service dept.

Okay, so I sign the work order, start bike up, slip a CD in and NOTHING. I sat in front of them for about 2 minutes and they looked at me like, "Is there a problem?". I said, "You hear any music coming from the radio or CD?"

"Nope" was their response.

I told them, "That's what I've been trying to tell you all along." They ordered a new(rebuilt radio) and replaced in a couple of weeks later.

Last edited by Unome; 03-31-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:01 PM
Cowboy Tom
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might sound silly, but check the volume. There is separate volume settings for stereo, intercom and CB. The volume adjusts for whichever mode you have displayed.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:06 PM
Opossum
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might also look at Squelch, in winter especially I always seem to hit the squelch button with glove.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:13 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior

I have tried to switch bikes with another rider with the same results but I was still using the j&m headset. I'm going to try to pick the bike up this afternoon and I'll hook up the hd headset and try to communicate with a buddy's cb one afternoon this week. That should narrow it down.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:14 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior

Thanks guys. I checked both the sq/vol buttons and everything is in order. It's either a headset(which doesn't sound likely according to JM) or a problem within the bike. Hopefully I'll know something later this week. Thanks again.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:43 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Lee ,,,,,,

I know how tough the Harley dealers can be when it comes to radio equipment ,,,,,,

they normally cover up their ignorance by blaming the problem on something else besides what is REALLY wrong ,,,,,

you have gotten some good advice here from this board, and the simplest thing to do is say to the dealer OK ,,, the J&M headset is bad ? ,,,, then show me how well it works right now with a Harley brand headset ((surely they have some around?)) ,,,

and when they finally get the CB radio working again, ask them to tune the SWR's on the CB antenna, which is supposed to be done during dealer set-up BEFORE delivery to you ,,,, that ought to get them scratching their heads ,,,,,

I have had a new Harley Ultra every year since 1989 ,,, and my 2009 is no exception ,,,,

"IF" the driver/passenger intercom portion of the system is working on the bike along with the stereo music to the headsets, there is nothing wrong with the headsets, period, that simple ,,,, the problem has to be with the CB radio and/or the CB antenna ,,,,,

JMJOHN ,,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,

Old 03-31-2009, 05:00 PM
Mastergunz1371
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem with my 09 Ultra, took it to the dealer and they replaced the CB module, actually took one off a new bike they had yet to put on the floor.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:34 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Tnearly2 years to get them to do something about a bad CB on my 2006 Ultra. It worked, but no matter how I set it, when I spoke, everyone around said it sounded likeI had a power mic. Heck, I had one Mechanic tell me that the microphone volume was the problem...and then the damned fool could not show me how to adjust it..(YOU CAN'T) Of course, I already KNEW that much.

Once the warrenty ran out, they "Found" the problem and wanted to charge me for a new Module. I hit the roof. I pulled out the 8 copies of service orders with the CB problem listed and told them that they can fix it, or talk to my Attorney.. They fixed it.

I HATE the fact that no matter what you do, they try to void your warrenty. What? they don't want to stand behind thier product?? Enought to **** ya right off.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:41 PM
hogginit
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonder if they keyed it up before the antenna was installed. Could prove fatal.

Quick Reply: CB's not working and dealer isn't very helpful....any advice?