Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearview questions - Road King

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:13 AM
madurodave
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clearview questions - Road King

I am getting ready to buy a Clearview based on everyone's reviews. I have a couple of questions:

1. Do most with Road Kings stay with the stock height or the 2.5 inch shorter? I am thinking of staying at stock but would like some feedback.

2. Blems - are they very bad? There are several blems on the site, with tint and recurve. They mention scratches and scuffs. Have these types of defects been an issue? Are they very noticeable?

Thanks!

Dave

Last edited by madurodave; 03-31-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:20 AM
workformetoo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock is 16 inches. Im 6"2' I put a 21 (wish I would have gone with the 18)

Old 03-31-2009, 07:27 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 652 Posts

i have a clear one on a road king classic..i like to see over the top of shield..it was near impossible to see thru the stock shield when it rained..
Also I now wear a fullface helmet and looking thru sunglasses and helmet shield and then thru windshield was just to much.
I found the clearview that was a little bit shorter than stock provided almost the same wind protection on top as stock for me but i feel a small amount of additional wind on sides..the clear view is about 1/2 inch total less wide.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:46 AM
madurodave
Road Captain

Originally Posted by workformetoo
Stock is 16 inches. Im 6"2' I put a 21 (wish I would have gone with the 18)
I just looked at the Clearview site. It says stock is 19.5".

I can go shorter at 17 if I want. Has anyone done this and how does it compare to wind/rain protection on the stock height? I would assume the 17 inch would be slightly less protection.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:08 AM
heavy K
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you wanna know what two and a half inches shorter will feel like in the wind sit on a yellowpages and drive around . sounds silly but a friend advised me to do this and it told me what i needed to know. i stayed with stock. im 6" 1" and if i ride with my head just above stock i get much more buffeting. i did not ride the book in the rain but if i lift my head just slightly in the rain (with the stock height) i get water right in the face, with a slight hunch im dry.

Last edited by heavy K; 03-31-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:19 AM
madurodave
Road Captain

Originally Posted by heavy K
if you wanna know what two and a half inches shorter will feel like in the wind sit on a yellowpages and drive around . sounds silly but a friend advised me to do this and it told me what i needed to know. i stayed with stock. im 6" 1" and if i ride with my head just above stock i get much more buffeting. i did not ride the book in the rain but if i lift my head just slightly in the rain (with the stock height) i get water right in the face, with a slight hunch im dry.

I think you are right, heavy. That is why I am leaning towards the stock height. I am planning longer rides this year so while I think the shorter shield would be great for most days, the stock height works well on long rides and changing weather.

I will call Clearview later today and see what they say as well. They have 2 blems on their site, so I want to get some feedback on how they look. Otherwise, I will order a new one.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:31 AM
madurodave
Road Captain

Bump!

I hope to get a little more feedback!

Old 03-31-2009, 05:54 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you get a shield with recurve you can get on that is shorter than stock and you can look over it, that's what I did and it work very well.
Go to there sight it tells how to measure for a shield with recurve.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:41 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I have the tinted 17" recurve with a blem. I am 5'11".

The blem on mine is below the chrome cross piece and I cannot see it unless I get off the bike and bend down and search for it. By ordering the blem you get immediate shipment plus save some on the cost. I am glad that I went with the blem.

The tint is light and not very noticeable but I do think it makes the shield look sharper.

I have always preferred to look over the top of a windshield and the 17" is about level with my mouth or maybe the tip of my nose if I am sitting up and not slouching. The recurve does work to direct the wind up a little higher than a normal shield. Without a helmet, I feel a breeze across the top of my head but not a strong breeze. I guess I also feel a slight breeze on my face but not enough to be bothersome. If I wear a helmet, I get no buffeting.

I have ridden in heavy rain for three straight days and I was glad that I had a shield that was easy to see over the top of. My son was riding his bike with a stock shield that he looked through and had to constantly stretch to see over the top or lean to the side to look around the shield because the rain was so heavy that one could not see through the shield. I am not saying that I kept dry but neither did he.

I think the 17" recurve is comparable to a 19" or 20" regular shield as far as wind protection. The Clearview is thicker than the HD shields and therefore vibrates less.

I recommend this shield and would buy another one without hesitation.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:08 PM
madurodave
Road Captain

Well, I ended up ordering a stock height 19.5" shield, with recurve, and light grey tint. The rep I spoke with talked me into the standard height. I can see over the standard shield fine, so he recommended I stay with that height.

I ordered a blem that was not listed on the site yet. I will see how it looks when it arrives. Anyway, $138 plus shipping of almost $40 due to my distance from CO. So in a few days it should be here.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Quick Reply: Clearview questions - Road King