Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kick Stand or Jiffy Stand as HD calls them

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:01 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Changes for '09 affected the lean angle when on the stand. The early '09s used the older bracket, if yours is one of the early bikes, Harley will replace it. Might as well try this, its free.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:04 AM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
What problem? What replacement?

I've always thought the Harley kick stand was the best on any bike. Is there some kind of recall?
No recall. 09's made prior to 10/02/09 had the wrong jiffy bracket on it which let the bike lean over way too far. People with that problem just had to call HD & they said have dealer order new bracket & it would be replaced under warranty. I did that & it made a big difference.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:09 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine doesn't seem to lean too far. The bike has to come almost straight up just to clear the ground and release the stand from the bracket it retracts into. A longer one wouldn't work. I guess they're not all subject to this recall.
BTW, most other bikes I've seen have a really simple hinged stand. The Harley stand with its locking mechanism is the best I've seen. Sure it looks scary when the bike shifts forward and looks like it's going to fall but it's still strong enough to sit on it while on the stand.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:11 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kugie's HOG
No recall. 09's made prior to 10/02/09 had the wrong jiffy bracket on it which let the bike lean over way too far. People with that problem just had to call HD & they said have dealer order new bracket & it would be replaced under warranty. I did that & it made a big difference.
You must mean 10/02/08 - right?

Old 03-31-2009, 10:16 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Beware the locking tab on top of the stand....make sure to check the bolt is properly tightened.....A buddy of mine had his work lose and fall off while riding and the complete stand fell away.....Imagine yourself far from home with no jiffy stand!

For you guys who worry about parking on soft dirt or stone, you can have larger foot welded to bottom of stand, then have it rechromed or powder coated.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:16 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just buy a HD coaster ($5) , throw it on the gravel and put the stand down, I do it all the time, it isn't going anywhere.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:34 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I remember a dealer showing how the stand locks when the bike's weight is on it by pushing the bike all the way across the showroom while it was leaning on the stand. I have never had any problem with a Harley kick stand nor had a Harley fall while on the stand in over thirty years.

I did have a Kawasaki stand sink into soft asphalt in a parking lot in the summer. It sank so deep that I had to get help to dig it out. Not the fault of the KZ900. A Harley would probably have done the same that day.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:06 PM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
You must mean 10/02/08 - right?
Yeah, I meant 10/02/08. Next time I'll read before I send. Sorry about that.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Jiffy stand bracket

Like others have said, It makes a huge difference! It raises the lean angle up an additional 1 1/4". You can see the difference just by looking at the bike and when you get ready to ride, it is much easier to raise up.
This is not exactly a recall as the MOCO will not inform you. The problem affects only touring bikes born prior to Oct 8, 2008. If you own one of these bikes you are probably aware of the fact that you have an entirely new frame on your bike. Apparently the new jiffy stand brackets for the 2009 models had not arrived in time for installation on the new bikes. So, what to do? They went ahead and installed 08 brackets on the 09 bikes. It works fine except it does allow the bike to lean over 1 1/4" when on the stand. This in itself makes it harder to stand up when getting ready to ride.
The easiest way to determine if you need a new bracket is to feel around on the backside of the bracket (at the top) with your finger. If you can not feel a short number, then you have an old bracket. If, however you can easily feel a raised number, you already have the new bracket. Most service managers are not aware of this problem because it is not widely publicized. There has however been a service bulleting put out by the MOCO which they can read on their computer. There is no cost to the owner as this is referred to as a one time "good will fix". I think I read on the service bulletin that dealers get paid for .2 hours labor to install it. I am glad I had it done because these early bikes just leaned too far for us old farts to easily pick up.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:43 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

early 09s bracket was deeper and allowed the bike to lean over farther than the 08 and earlier. later 09s received shallower bracket which picked the bike up a couple of inches.
i talked to several dealers that acted like i was nuts. i bought one rather than take two hours one way to my dealer. i was shown that turning your bars hard right when mounting will be easier than if all the way to the left. it changes the geometry dramatically.

Quick Reply: Kick Stand or Jiffy Stand as HD calls them