Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

install tri-bar run/brake light?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:59 PM
jayman720
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default install tri-bar run/brake light?

Hey all! I've got a potentially silly question. (AGAIN!)

I bought an FLHX rear fender fascia that came with the tri-bar running light in it. Well - it's burned out. (It was a take off from a wrecked bike)

I want to either get a new light kit, or upgrade to the tri-bar run/brake light kit. (68358-07) Here's the question:

If I get the run/brake light, will I have to splice wires? After looking at the pic online, the wiring doesn't look long enough to go the the wire under the seat. My guess is that it has to go to the harness under the tail light.

Any ideas?

ALSO - if someone has already upgraded their light - do ya want to sell your take-off?

I ride an '08 Road Glide, but the FLHX parts came off of an 06 FLHX.

Thanks in advance!

Jay

Old 03-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Taylorized
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pm sent

Old 03-30-2009, 08:15 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default brake lite

This should be a plug & play, on the bikes that I have done the module goes under the seat and you replace the amber lenses with red ones.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:22 PM
jayman720
Tourer

Originally Posted by scooty
This should be a plug & play, on the bikes that I have done the module goes under the seat and you replace the amber lenses with red ones.
The tri-bar is a red LED kit. The turn signal bar has already been swapped out, and that's good to go.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:29 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you may have to plug it into the taillight housing.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:32 PM
jayman720
Tourer

Originally Posted by liltrk
I think you may have to plug it into the taillight housing.
Then where does the brake light plug in?

Dawg was kind enough to send me the plug schematic for the wiring harness, but I'm short one socket with the tri-bar installed.

(I *think* I'm gonna have to splice into the tail light wire, as both the tail light, and the tri-bar run/brake light, serve the same purpose.)

Old 03-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

The Street Glide tri-bar (LED) plugs into the tour pak wiring harness that is already on your bike. The connector is a black plastic three-wire connector and is quite long since it reaches to the back of the rear fender. Usually, its folded up and zip tied to the left frame rail under the seat or left side cover.

Alternatively, you can remove the connector on the LED and splice the wires to the two wires plugged into the upper left chamber of your tail light circuit board behind the tail light. If you have the SG turn signal bar, that upper left chamber is occupied with two wires for the license plate LED's in the turn signal bar. You splice the black wire of the SG LED to the left wire and the white/black wire to the wire in the right side of the connector--the center chamber of the connector is empty.

Good luck with your project.

PS: Do yourself a favor and buy the Service Manual for your bike; most, if not all, of the info you need is in it, especially regarding wiring.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Kielbaso
Cruiser

I did the upgrade to the brakelight version. Had to run the wires up along the frame and connected under the side panel under the seat due to the shortness of the connector. Not sure why they made it like this, but thats what I had to do.

I do still have my stock take-off light boxed up if you are interested. By the way, my FLHX is an '09.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:18 PM
sandpa
Cruiser

Look under the left side cover, and you should find a plugin maybe wired tied to other wiring harness. Run it along the left frame to the back.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:22 PM
americanthunder
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is the tour pak lighting harness it will run right near your left fender strut or under that side cover. It is a simple small wire. Not a big deal at all.

Quick Reply: install tri-bar run/brake light?