Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHTC Seats and Short Riders

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009 | 07:01 PM
Rain
|
Tourer
Question FLHTC Seats and Short Riders

I've read through tons of threads on here about seats already and am more confused than when I started so thought I would see what may have worked for others.

I have a 30" inseam and weigh about 145 on a good day. I have a 2002 FLHTC that had the stock pillow-look seat on it. The seat was in semi-rough shape so I spoke with Mustang and they recommended the solo and passenger pillion to get as low in the frame as possible. I went with this with the rider backrest and love the comfort but even with 1 1/2" heels on my boots I'm not getting my feet on the ground like I want to. It puts me low but spreads my legs too far apart and isn't any fun in the city.

I've e-mailed with seat-modification companies and the mods available for the Mustangs are somewhat limited. I don't want to end up with a $700.00 seat plus modification costs for sale.

I had a Reach seat on the RK that I previoulsy had and it put my feet on the ground but wasn't really that good on a 500 mile day so am not sure if that would be the way to go.

Can anyone make a recommendation based on experience on a seat that might do the trick or one that could be modified? I'd like to end up with my feet on the ground and be able to ride 500 mile days without suffering too much.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 03-30-2009 | 07:16 PM
Mike07FLHTC
Road Captain

Lowering brackets for the shocks or shorter shocks might be the best way to go,sorry i know thats not what you asked ,just saying...

Old 03-30-2009 | 07:34 PM
bj03064
Intermediate
Default Shave the *stock* seat!

I've read a lot about "shaving" the stock seat and making it a bit lower, so I thought I'd take the plunge. I looked around and saw that stock seats for the FLHTC are available on eBay pretty cheap. If the upholstery guy screwed up the stock seat, I could replace it for under $100.

Gave the seat to a local upholstery guy who claimed he could easily modify it for $75.

Got it back -- and... SURPRISE!!! He took about 1 1/2" of foam out from the *bottom* of the seat. It looks lower, and I actually SIT lower on it. I'm flat-footed on the 08 FLHTC now, and I've got a 29" inseam -- and I can touch the ground with *both* heels.

Ask around. There may be someone local who can remove some foam from the *bottom* of the seat (where the foam touches the pan).

BTW: this guy also showed me how he can add "gel" to the seat: he cuts out an insert in the top of the foam and puts the gel in it, and then puts the corinthian leather back on the seat. He asked for another $75 to open the seat again and add the gel -- when I'm ready.

I'm sold. Best $75 seat I ever bought!

Old 03-30-2009 | 08:16 PM
Rain
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mike07FLHTC
Lowering brackets for the shocks or shorter shocks might be the best way to go,sorry i know thats not what you asked ,just saying...
Thanks but the back is already lowered and the front is supposed to be but I haven't checked the height to be sure...

Old 03-30-2009 | 08:19 PM
Rain
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by bj03064
I've read a lot about "shaving" the stock seat and making it a bit lower, so I thought I'd take the plunge. I looked around and saw that stock seats for the FLHTC are available on eBay pretty cheap. If the upholstery guy screwed up the stock seat, I could replace it for under $100.

Gave the seat to a local upholstery guy who claimed he could easily modify it for $75.

Got it back -- and... SURPRISE!!! He took about 1 1/2" of foam out from the *bottom* of the seat. It looks lower, and I actually SIT lower on it. I'm flat-footed on the 08 FLHTC now, and I've got a 29" inseam -- and I can touch the ground with *both* heels.

Ask around. There may be someone local who can remove some foam from the *bottom* of the seat (where the foam touches the pan).

BTW: this guy also showed me how he can add "gel" to the seat: he cuts out an insert in the top of the foam and puts the gel in it, and then puts the corinthian leather back on the seat. He asked for another $75 to open the seat again and add the gel -- when I'm ready.

I'm sold. Best $75 seat I ever bought!
Great information, thanks!

Old 03-30-2009 | 08:26 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Default seat

I had the same problem and I lowered both the front and rear as well as taking the seat cover off and shaving it down with an elect knife and a grinder and now I can easily put both feet flat on the ground ( 28"inseam) And I also think the bike handles better with a lower center of gravity. This was done to an 04 EGC and I have had no scraping issues.
G@@D LUCK ! ! !

Old 03-31-2009 | 05:27 AM
Rain
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by scooty
I had the same problem and I lowered both the front and rear as well as taking the seat cover off and shaving it down with an elect knife and a grinder and now I can easily put both feet flat on the ground ( 28"inseam) And I also think the bike handles better with a lower center of gravity. This was done to an 04 EGC and I have had no scraping issues.
G@@D LUCK ! ! !
Thanks for your info too. I just bought a stock seat from a 2004 FLHTC from a forum member so when it gets here I will try it first then either have it modified or try it myself.

When you shaved yours how did it come out? As in can you tell it's been modified (bumps in the foam, etc.). Happen to have any pictures as well?

Old 03-31-2009 | 11:57 AM
YT
Cruiser

Buddy of mine has a 09 SG. His inseam was about a 30" but stood tip-toe when sitting on the stock seat. He removed the staples from the seat pan, pulled the vinyl back, and shaved the inner thigh portion of the seat and re-wrapped and stapled it back together. It worked for him. I think he may have watched this video and it gave him the confidence to try it...

http://www.richscustomseats.com/

Old 03-31-2009 | 09:13 PM
Rain
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by YT
Buddy of mine has a 09 SG. His inseam was about a 30" but stood tip-toe when sitting on the stock seat. He removed the staples from the seat pan, pulled the vinyl back, and shaved the inner thigh portion of the seat and re-wrapped and stapled it back together. It worked for him. I think he may have watched this video and it gave him the confidence to try it...

http://www.richscustomseats.com/
After watching the video I think I could do the same when my stock seat gets here. Thanks for the link. Did he just use an electric knife? I have a palm sander that may help too.

Did his come out looking good when he got done?

Mike

Old 04-01-2009 | 01:19 PM
YT
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rain
After watching the video I think I could do the same when my stock seat gets here. Thanks for the link. Did he just use an electric knife? I have a palm sander that may help too.

Did his come out looking good when he got done?

Mike
I think he is using an electric Foam cutter like this: http://www.toolbarn.com/category/bosch/foamcutters/

My buddies not only came out great but it really enhanced his overall comfort level. Ken

Quick Reply: FLHTC Seats and Short Riders