Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changed fairing can not install lock back help

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 02:25 PM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Scotty should write the sticky on this subject..

Old 03-31-2009, 05:31 PM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

great post been thinking about doing faring swap this week

Old 03-31-2009, 05:49 PM
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

after getting into it it was easy i painted my own fairing change it out my self big saveings and worth it for sure
gabe

Old 03-31-2009, 08:45 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty3
1) Make sure the forks are to the left and locked. If they are not locked, turn the forks left and then stick the screwdriver all the way to the bottom and turn it left while jiggling the bars on the left stop until the forks lock.

2) Look in the hole with a flashlight. You will see the switch plate half-way down the hole, this is what turns when you move the ignition switch to on, run and accessory. Make sure the tabs on the switch plate are lined up like in this photo:

If the tabs aren't lined up properly you will need to line them up using the screwdriver. Stick it in part-way until it contacts the switch plate. Line it up so the slots are lined up at 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock when looking down in the hole.

3) Insert the switch assembly. Place the spring on the shaft and insert the lock in with the lock pointed towards the "fork lock" position. Make sure the key is still in the keyhole and turned all the way to the left 60º. Refer to this photo:

4) If you've got it aligned properly, the lock will bottom out all the way in and you need to hold it in with your hand and turn the key to engage the locking tab that holds it in:

5) Now the switch should be in with the forks locked. Re-insert the key and unlock the forks like normal. Go for a ride!!!

Good Luck!!
awesome man, i just put the old bike 07 streetglide together and ran into this problem, worked like a charm

Old 04-01-2009, 02:53 PM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Scotty 3
This was the best information I have ever recieved online last nite I was debating on wether to bring my bike to the dealer for faring swap after downloading your instruction on ing. install I was confident that me and my buddy could do it and we did however we would have never got the ignition switch in without your help and moderators out there maybe you and put this in it own section the instruction are worth there weight in gold again Thanks Scotty 3 Joe Dolci

Old 04-11-2009, 02:18 PM
harleybill2008
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I just went through the same thing spending hours on that ignition only to find out I had a wire unplugged or not plugged in all the way. I don't know how many times I took it out, played with it and put it back only to have nothing. It on occasion would look like it was 1/2 between starting but then nothing. I am now an expert on the ignition which is not what my plan was. But now it's done and LOOKING GOOOOOD.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:48 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Originally Posted by frankieb1963
anybody know the part number for the hd tool to set the lock?
Kent Moore's HD-45962 ignition tool $63.18
JIMS #943 ignition tool $81

Old 04-11-2009, 04:51 PM
boaterb
2nd Gear
Default key

there was a recall on all touring models between 05 & 07 for the ign switch to be replaced , i have hered of a few people with the same problem as yours with later models ,mabey h/d needs to do some more research on this problem ,good luck

Old 04-17-2009, 12:58 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Scotty,

Best post ever !! Saved me a HUGE headache.

THANKS !!

Old 06-28-2009, 11:35 PM
Flyboy
Cruiser

OK, I screwed up and need help.
So I was messing around putting my lock in, thought I had it aligned but was not paying attention...anyways now I have the lock down and stuck in the fork lock position, but the forks are not locked and I cannot turn or remove the lock.
Help!

Quick Reply: changed fairing can not install lock back help