Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACC and B+ CONNECTORS

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:58 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
Dude, call me simple minded but that's some of the best info I've seen on the board to date.

Thanks for posting this and good explanations! This is like that "Manswers" show without the *****! Hmmmmm, throw in some ***** and you could be on TV!
Thanks for the positive feedback. That's always nice to hear. As far as my upcoming TV show is concerned...I only have this to say, I prefer to call them MOOBS! (.)(.)

Old 04-01-2009, 04:31 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jberg
I understand the acc plug and have used it with the expansion connector.
I recently had heated grips installed. I was told that they used the B+ connector. I don't need to use the acc switch but the grips turn off with the ignition. What's different about this situation compared to the one you describe?

I bought the aileron heated grips for my 09 and decided to install them myself because the stealer wanted $400 (aussie $) to fit them. 7 hours later I was done. Long story.

anyhoo, the genuine heated grips have 2 feeds - one from the B+ and one from the P&A fuse in the fuse box, which is a spare space that you install a new fuse into. The P&A is fed from the ignition, not from the accessories, so the grips will ony work when the main switch is in the ign posn.

Grips are always on when the ign is on (unless you set them to heat position 0) and as they are thermostatic they dont do anything unless it gets cold.

Why the 2 feeds? Beats me.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:35 AM
testifer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lets not forget the plugs <orange/black> in your head light nacel. they work with the ingition switch on, or in the acc position.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:34 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Thank you king. That explains everything. Makes sense. Not sure why the P & A circuit alone would not be enough.
I know the product description says they're thermostatically controlled. Is there a temp sensor somewhere in the system?

Old 04-01-2009, 03:09 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

The temp sensor and control circuit is in the left grip.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:29 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

i went into the acc box with a tester 4 holes one nutreal one on acc switch one on ignition switch and one that was hot unswitched.u dont need the harness u can use crimp on duetch conectors and save a few bucks.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:34 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
i went into the acc box with a tester 4 holes one nutreal one on acc switch one on ignition switch and one that was hot unswitched.u dont need the harness u can use crimp on duetch conectors and save a few bucks.
"one that was hot unswitched"

Not sure about that one....I just did the same thing, one ACC switch powered with ignition on, one powered with just ignition switch and two naturals/ground.....

I'm using one side for my garage door opener and the other side to power my satellite radio.

Yes, buy four female pin connectors and the male connector and your set....

Old 04-01-2009, 05:53 PM
MarkThomas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info!

Last edited by MarkThomas; 04-01-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:42 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I re-read the installation instructions for the grips. There is a link to the B+ circuit for power but it has a switching circuit that goes to the fuse box. This assures that it only runs when the bike runs.
Also, the explanation for the "thermostatically controlled" feature states that it's designed to maintain constant temp at the grips regardless of ambient temp. So, juice to grip would increase in colder weather so there would be no need to adjust the dial to match the colder weather.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:14 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jberg
I re-read the installation instructions for the grips. There is a link to the B+ circuit for power but it has a switching circuit that goes to the fuse box. This assures that it only runs when the bike runs.
Also, the explanation for the "thermostatically controlled" feature states that it's designed to maintain constant temp at the grips regardless of ambient temp. So, juice to grip would increase in colder weather so there would be no need to adjust the dial to match the colder weather.
yeah, thats the idea, you leave it set to level 4 which is 24 degrees (c) or whatever, as long as its warmer than that they dont kick in.

In reality it doesnt work like that tho, as the colder the day is the hotter you want the grips to be so that the heat soaks thru your gloves.

They are still great grips tho, neatest installation abd toasty warm.

Why didnt HD didnt just wire the bars for heated grips at the factory? it would have added about 2 mins to the assembly time and saved hours. the E throttle sender already has wiring for grips, they stop about 4 inches from the sender. Those wires should have been extended to behind the nacelle at least.

Quick Reply: ACC and B+ CONNECTORS