Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing SG rear facia

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:34 AM
cannedham1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing SG rear facia

I just recieved the SG rear facia from chicago hd. I am planning on installing it on my RK. Does anyone have parts breakdown and pics. out of the SF service manual they can copy and e-mail it. If not where can I get it. There are a couple of parts im not sure of. I copied the parts list of a thread on here, and it was very helpfull. I think I might go with double sided 3m tape to mount it. I know others went that way . If it didnt hold please let me know so I dont go that route. Thanks.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:39 AM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Gnd Effects

Send your email to me via PM and I'll send you what I have

Old 03-30-2009, 08:20 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

I see you are in NY. The 3M tape works fine, but it doesn't like to bond in the cold. I ended up using my wifes hair dryer on mine to heat each connection up so it would stick because it was cold when I did it... after that it held fine.

There are 2 grades of the 3m tape, get the heavy duty one. I got mine at Advanced Auto Parts.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:30 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

stevepacman can provide you with what you need.

Just a heads-up that you will need to change the electrical connector on the end of the LED that the SG facia uses. The reason you will need to change it is because the SG uses the bike's tour pak wiring harness to provide power and ground to the LED and Road King's don't have that harness.

Instead, you can wire the LED to the circuit board behind your tail light lens. Just remove the two screws in the lens to expose the circuit board. Your turn signals and tail light are plugged into it. The upper left chamber of the circuit board will be empty. On Street Glides, that upper left chamber is used for the license plate LED's in the SG turn signal bar; on an EG the chamber is used for the fender tip light. You will/can use it for the SG facia LED.

To use the upper left chamber in the circuit board, you will need a "socket housing," HD part no. 73153-96BK (a three-wire connector), and two "pins-sockets," HD part no. 73191-96 that are crimped on to the LED wires and inserted into the socket housing. Use the far left slot for ground and far right slot for power--the LED is polarity-specific. The LED should have a black wire/ground, and a white/black wire/positive.

If you are using HD's accessory SG LED that has a brake light function in addition to the run light function, it will have three wires instead of the standard two wires. The center slot in the connector is for the brake light function.

The SG LED on my EG is wired as described here because I wanted to retain the TP wiring harness to use with my detachable lighted King Tour Pak rather than use it for the SG LED.

Stevepacman can provide you with whatever help you need. Also, Papatravis (maybe lower case "P") did the same mod on his RK Custom and posted about it, including wiring the SG LED as described above.

Good luck with your project. Be sure to post pics.

PS: Do yourself a favor and buy the HD 2007 Touring Model Service Manual and Parts book. You could easily find everything you need for your project in those books.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:56 AM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will PM you a list. I just did it to my bike using the factory mounts. only had to drill 6 holes not to hard of a job.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:18 AM
eglinski
Tourer
Cool

Cannedham,
Please , be sure to post some pics of your Road King Custom with the Street Glide rear facia! Is this a "kit"? if so how costly is the facia$$?

Old 03-30-2009, 10:28 AM
cannedham1
Cruiser

Thanks for all the help. I will post pics. as soon as it warms up. I was going to start this project in this week but due to illness I might have to wait till im feeling better. To eglinski's question I did not buy it in a kit. I found an old thread on here where Harleypingman listed all the part numbers. Try doing the search and see if you can find it. All the parts only came to about $199. with a 20% discount through Doug at chicago HD. I think the final total was about $150.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:53 PM
sandpa
Cruiser

3m and silicone for safety. Easy project, looks great at night.