Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pack Detach rack problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:46 AM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I must've gotten lucky. Mine was a perfect fit on my first try. I just think the detach levers are a little hard to get to and you have to make sure they are situated just right for it to go together. Just my .02

Old 03-30-2009, 10:26 AM
cfmii11
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to tweak mine but have had no problems since.
If you want new bushings there is a member here that makes them, I think he goes by "gilbos"

Old 03-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Mike5959
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think someone on here was selling replacement bushings that were supposed to be better than stock.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:33 AM
slime_dog
Tourer
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cfmii11
I had to tweak mine but have had no problems since.
If you want new bushings there is a member here that makes them, I think he goes by "gilbos"
Gilbos ROCKS! See:
http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?...eid=310456&ck=

There is no plastic to break on the ones he manufactures. Be sure the ones he provides covers your year model.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:02 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky 13
Loosen the bolts on the bike mounts for the first fit. Then remove the tourpac and tighten them down. I actually had to spread the tourpac bracket on mine. The plastic on the mounts is real hard and cracks easily. Good news, most dealers have them in stock, about 8 bucks.
That did the trick, fits perfect now. Thanks for the help guys, I thought I was going to have to send something back. Now to mount the tour pack. Surely that is a piece of cake. Just 4 bolts. Right, isn't a piece of cake?

I looked at Gilbos bushing and those are for pre 09 models. I will have to look closer to see if he makes an 09 kit.

Thanks again.

Beary

Old 03-31-2009, 12:05 AM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
I'm putting together my tour pack and detach kit. I installed the docking hardware to the bike, then I tried to attach the tour pack mount to it. The right side of the mount was tight but slipped in. The right side was so tight that it broke the plastic grommet on the rear doing point. I'm glad I haven't attached the tour pack to the mount yet, that would made this twice as hard.

Has this happened to anyone else? What was the fix?

Thanks ahead for you help.

Beary
I had the same trouble tonight 2009 RG. taking the king tour pack in tomorrow get the black off and the sun glowred on . I got my dremal with sand paper drum and buffed down the front 2 grommets there way to much hard plastic it fit right in place easy on and off . the grommets pop out by squezing it, there notched in alot of trial and air.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:58 AM
baccarat6
6th Gear

I have replaced my plastic bushings twice and demanded a new mounting bracket as there are no ways to adjust the rack on the 09 finally found out that there is going to be a new supplier for the 09 removable tour pack mounting kit and it should be available mid April.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just mounted mine tonight and had the same problems. I broke half of the left side bushing, it is mounted on and locked. Will it be OK with half the bushing or should I replace it? I am getting a service done in Michigan Saturday, will it hurt riding it about 400 miles like that?

Old 05-21-2009, 10:38 PM
93flhtcu
Tourer

hello, I have a 2009 ultra and would like to make my tour-pac detatchable. Can you tell me what I need to buy to do this job. Any help would be appreciated. I dont mean to take over your thread but you guys seem to know what needs to be done. thanks

Old 05-21-2009, 11:52 PM
rogerfromco
Road Master

Interesting thread. I put mine on a few weeks ago and noticed it was a really tight fit. Double checked everything to make sure I hadn't screw the pooch in assembly. I hadn't thought about spreading / stretching the rack mount. Good call.

Quick Reply: Tour Pack Detach rack problem