Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Road Glide / Ultra Tour Pack install DONE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:24 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Road Glide / Ultra Tour Pack install DONE!

Rainy weekend project, almost 100% complete.
Sorry the photos are so foggy but is so darned humid today that the bike itself keeps fogging over never mind the camera lens too.

Here's what I put on the bike this weekend:
Parts are for 2009 Road Glide
46063-98 ( Detachable Lock ) $ 36.61
52892-98A ( Tourpack backrest ) $ 150.00
53100-96 ( Mini Tourpack rack) $ 84.50
53149-09CYS ( Painted L.E.D. Spoiler ) $ 193.16
53194-07 ( Lockset, key matched ) $ 15.96
53276-09 ( Detachable two-up rack ) $ 140.40
53287-09CYS ( Road Glide Ultra Tour pack ) $ 750.00
53667-89A ( Tour pack accent rail ) $ 82.32
54205-09 ( 4-point docking hardware ) $ 120.00
70032-09 (Detachable Ultra Wiring harness ) $ 62.40
79211-08 ( Premium Tourpack Hinges ) $ 38.94

Total $ 1,736.57

Prices are internet net from "Zanotti's"

The wiring harness kit is almost useless to me and I will be taking the bike to a dealer to have them connect the Tourpack to the Bike's harness. (It's not plug and play and thus I am not playing with it.) So, the lights are not yet working.
-

The L.E.D. Spoiler is back ordered so that is not yet installed, nor did I install the Mini-Rack either. Will do both of those together when the spoiler comes in.
-

That's the new Tourpack premium hinges and I figured what better time to do them then while the tour pack was not even mounted onto the bike. They do look good!
-

The detachable rack fit pretty good and I was worried hearing from others that the racks were off by quite a bit. I don't intend to remove it very often and I put one of those detachable locks on one side. A firm push downwards sets the rack right into place on the dock.

What I also found out is that the Tourpack does not come with any liner, so that is another item I have ordered. # 53301-06 and is like $62 more.

I'm also ordering empty speaker pods from eglidegoodies.com to fill in the bottom of the Tourpack, since it's predrilled with large holes.

Last edited by RODEO; 03-29-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Really great looking!

Old 03-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Standard
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great. You will love the convience of that tourpak. That chrome really compliments that color.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:34 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

you mean the greedy bastards changed the plug for the tour pak? $1700 bucks and its not even plug and play? dayyum

Old 03-29-2009, 02:40 PM
MarkThomas
Cruiser

I am not a Road Glide guy, but that looks great!

Old 03-29-2009, 02:42 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by leohd
you mean the greedy bastards changed the plug for the tour pak? $1700 bucks and its not even plug and play? dayyum
There are two holes at the bottom front of the tour pack, both need some type of grommet. The Tourpack is internally all wired up and lead to a connector inside near one of those larger holes. I bought a harness but it's made for an Ultra and is not nearly correct. My bike is a Road Glide and I see no place to plug in and looks to me that a harness needs to be made to tap into the circuit somewhere. I was hoping for plug n play but nada.... I just hope the dealer doesn't rip me too badly to do this job. First I'll get and mount the LED spoiler so it's all ready to go before I take it in.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:46 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Congrats on your successful project; ya' done good.

Not sure why you would need the dealer to do any wiring for the TP lights. The bike has a TP harness on it; you'll probably find it coiled and zip tied to the frame on the left side under the seat. It will have a three-wire, black plastic connector on the end. That should mate with the detachable harness you bought which plugs into the bike's TP harness and the permanent harness inside the TP. At least that's how they were previously.

Let us know how it's wired.

Again, looks great and nice job.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:49 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Congrats on your successful project; ya' done good.

Not sure why you would need the dealer to do any wiring for the TP lights. The bike has a TP harness on it; you'll probably find it coiled and zip tied to the frame on the left side under the seat. It will have a three-wire, black plastic connector on the end. That should mate with the detachable harness you bought which plugs into the bike's TP harness and the permanent harness inside the TP. At least that's how they were previously.
Let us know how it's wired.

Again, looks great and nice job.
Well now I'll have to go take a look for that! (Not today though, gotta run soon.) but that would be sweet if it's there. I don't mind finding the right grommets (from HD) and I can dress and make the wiring look clean enough, but I am not confident enough to tap into circuits nor to make my own deutsch connectors.

Thanks for the suggestions and compliments too guys!

Last edited by RODEO; 03-29-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:52 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

(By the way, its not visible under the seat, there is one large block of wires that connect there and run into the rear fender, I assume those are the tail lights, brake and blinkers etc.)

Old 03-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The TP harness may also be under the left side cover.

Never heard of an Ultra detachable TP harness. HD introduced a EG Classic detachable harness for TP lights which is what you would probably need for your application.

There is an Ultra overlay harness for the rear speakers/passenger controls/etc. but it has nothing to do with TP lighting.

Quick Reply: 09 Road Glide / Ultra Tour Pack install DONE!