Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear ended and survived

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Oldguysg08
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Rear ended and survived

Well today my wife and I decided it was perfect day for a ride with the temp heading towards 70's so we got on the SG after getting on all the leather gear & helmets.

Went for coffee then hit a country side road and was stopped at a stop sign at the bottom of the hill. Cross traffic going about 60-65 mph.

Saw a possible break in traffic, took one more look and "nope" no break - watched as w White Toyota Tacoma was coming up behind and saw it stop a few feet back.

Glimpsed in my left side view and saw the guy in truck looking at approaching traffic then suddenly saw his grill coming up fast.

No where to go due to traffic coming and got pushed over on high side.

I hit the kill switch and prepared for the ground coming up, thinking about my wife and how she would fare from the fall considering she just recoverd from a broken right ankle and still getting cortizone shots.

Over we went like in slow motion - my wife hit with her right shoulder and elbow first then rolled away from the bike towards the shoulder of the road out of traffic.

I tried to roll off the bike and found my right leg partially pinned by the floorboard and passenger peg but it pulled right out.

All was good we were up and wife was P***ED OFF - I made sure she was okay as driver got out wanting to help pickup the bike - She told him "Don't touch it!!". He listened and backed off.

I picked up the bike put down side stand right where it went over.

Thought he was calling for 9-1-1 at first on his cell. No calling his family telling them he hit a motorcycle and to come get the truck.I was limping - wife was limping and a passerby in a SUV blocked traffic and called 9-1-1. She was an off duty RN from a local hospital.

While waiting for the CHP the driver wanted to leave - I told him firmly "No" but I wanted him to get his license, reg & insurance out. Guess what didn't have any of the requested documents. NOTHING - NO LICENSE, REG or INSURANCE!!!!

NOW I AM MAD !! I told him to sit on the curb and that CHP was on the way. Fire Dept showed up - we checked out ok but our blood pressure was up a little bit but it soon came down.

After CHP showed up got all info and assured me that truck and driver were going "bye-bye" we left after checking all was good with the bike.

We stopped in the next little town and parked for about an hour to "wind down".

All is good but sore and bruised some. NOTHING BROKEN on us or the bike.

Glad we had on our leathers and full face helmets.

Gonna take a while to not be spooked while stopped at a stop sign or light for a while though but will ride on because it is our joy and no one is going to take that from us.

Piscs of my helmet and scratches to bike below. License plate is now curved from the truck's front bumper. All else is good.

Thank you to the Spirit above that no one was injured badly.

Scratches to shield

Scratches on right floor board mount

Scratches to right side of highway bar.

Not bad at all considering what it could have been.

You all be safe and watch the cars coming up from behind.

Last edited by Oldguysg08; 03-28-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:55 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The good thing is no one was hurt bad. I would take the bike to the dealer. If it was in gear there is a possibility that the trans was strained. Have everything checked, frame and all the works. Better to be safe than sorry.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Skulmn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Oldguy:

Very glad you and the wife are OK...

Good to hear the bike is OK too...You can always get a new helmet, and do, because it has done what it is supposed to and is through.

Also glad the scumbag is being taken away...

Always great to live/ride another day.

Congrats on getting through this well, and I respect your ability to keep your cool....A lesson for us all.

Ride Safe

Old 03-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Taylorized
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear about that glad your OK.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:01 PM
cbears
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, you got WAY LUCKY!!! Sorry to hear about it, but glad you and the wife made it out ok. Wonder what will happen to the low life that hit you, probably not enough.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:02 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

Thank God you and your wife are okay! Just amazes me how really bad drivers are anymore!

One of the major reasons for putting the Run-Brake module on for the rear signal lights, along with a few 'others'...so I could be seen from behind!

I hope the driver of that Tacoma gets hammered for no license, registration, insurance. Yeesh!

Old 03-28-2009, 10:06 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about that, I am really glad you and the wife are ok.....

Old 03-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Araba Shriner
Road Master

Really glad you guys are going to be ok - Hope the jerk who hit you gets what he deserves.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:11 PM
cap5369
Road Master

WOW - You are lucky and I a glad your both ok. I was riding and saw a bike get taken out from behind and that was not a good site. I hope you and your wife have a fast recovery.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member

OUCH... Glad to hear you and your wife are fine.

Quick Reply: Rear ended and survived