Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear ended and survived

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 11:34 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad you and your OL are ok

Old 03-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 856 Likes on 297 Posts

I just bought a BAL (Bright @ss Light) because of the storys likes yours I keep reading.
Not to say that it would have prevented this. But anything thing helps. The BAL with Strobe flash can be set up to first strobe pulse like a Emergency Vehicle before going Bright @ss Solid. If you see something like you saw in the rearview any re-grab of the brake will put it back in strobe depending on how you set it up..... No, I have no connection to BAL just a user sharing with a guy who just had a bad situation. But I feel because accidents like yours are so common reported on this board it was worth the coin to take my chances on the BAL that it would help prevent an accident like yours. As I too ride with my wife quite a bit.

That all said, I too am thankful you and your wife are safe and came out of it ok!

http://www.brightasslights.com/site/...ypage.tpl.html

Old 03-29-2009, 02:06 PM
rdglide5
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can top this. Got hit last july sitting at a light. Old man (78) that hit me said he thought he was going for the break but hit the gas instead. Drove me into the car in front hard enough to break the bumper. $4m in damages to the bike - i have an led braek light and a lighted tour pack w/led. It was 5 p.m. and summy. I was still on the bike after the accident and was only 1 mile from the stealership. Limped in so pissed off i couldn't see straight. When the sev. mgr. saw the bike they said "how did u get it here?" and "do u know how lucky u r????". They insisted on taking me to see where they keep all the accident bikes. After seeing what they had the dealer said"u r the only one of the group that is still talking!". MAN did that change my attitude. It's just stuff guys. I'm still riding = the accident was my wake up & i now consider myself to be one of the luckiest riders around. Thank the big man everyday u get to decide if u want to go riding!!!!

Old 03-29-2009, 03:28 PM
hdbe
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

amazing how many times a biker get hit from behind....glad you guys were ok

Old 03-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Pop Pop
Cruiser

Now that you and the missis are OK and the bike is being checked out, check with a good lawyer. CHIP will do the municipal thing with the guy, your ins will do its thing, but you may need to press for your benefit on the driver.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:26 PM
screws4156
Road Captain

I'm Glad you nd the wife are OK.... I hope the driver gets the book thrown at him.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:41 PM
hogginit
Road Captain

Kind od makes me want to put a big sign on the back. " DANGER EXPLOSIVES"

Old 03-29-2009, 07:52 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like your angels were watching out for you both. Everything else can be repaired. Hope they take the scumbag out and shoot him. Did he speak english?

Old 03-29-2009, 08:07 PM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master

I'm glad you two weren't hurt that bad! I hope you get the ba$tard for the money he owes you in repairs My friend!

Mike

Old 03-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Oldguysg08
Intermediate
Default Thanks for the kind wishes.

Thanks to all for the kind wishes.

Today a little feeling even more sore and finding additional bruises inplaces can't quite figure out how they got there.

In reply to some of the questions;

I have the run-turn-brake system on the bike - he was stopped to close behind to see it - I honestly believe he thought we pulled away from the stop sign since he didn't see us in front when he looked back from his left glance.

Unless I had a 6 ft. pole on the back of the bike with a large flashing red light he still would have hit us.

Yes he spoke English - very clearly and understood everything I was telling him. He definately could read my body language when I was talking to him.

Illegal - Don't know nor does it matter to me.

Get a lawyer - No point in it - even if the registered owner of the truck has no money other than the ownership of the truck it is in 30-day impound and insurance will file a lien against it in case of other expenses. Court/State will not release it until all determined.

Haven't seen a doctor yet but if still hurting in places that really bother me or her - will do by week's end.

I figure part of it is my age of almost 58 - wife is a little over 53 - but hey we are doing better then most that have been in accidents on motorcycles.

For that we are extremely grateful to our Guardian Angels.

Take care all

Quick Reply: Rear ended and survived