Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield is SQUEAKING - help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 11:39 AM
dchoran
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield is SQUEAKING - help!!!

At low rpms, I get a harmonic vibration (normal for a Harley) that causes a nasty loud squeak from my 12" windshield. If I hold the windshield, it goes away.

I have tried pulling and replacing, adding tape, rubber bumpers, cork, gaskets, etc... All that does is change the tone/loudness of the squeak. All the bolts are tight but moves just enough to make this nasty a$$ noise - it ain't subtle either.

Harley must make a special gasket that goes between the inner/outer fairing and the windshield - looks like the one that was in there has seen better days after five years.

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT THAT IS??? PART NUMBER???

OTHER IDEAS??? MAYBE I SHOULD JUST SHOOT SOME LUBRICANT ON EACH SIDE????

Thanks.

Dave H.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:35 AM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have the fairing pouches or anything else mounted by the windshield that could cause the problem? I tried to zoom you pic but couldn't tell. I'm guessing the brass inserts in the inner faring are still in place and haven't popped out at all. The only other thing I can think of would be to get some thin foam weather stripping from 'homey depot' and run it along the bottom of the windshield where the tape goes.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:24 AM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you run without the shield? Cause something tells me it's not actually the shield.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:41 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The windshield screws are supposed to be just slightly hand tightened, are they too tight?

Old 03-29-2009, 02:29 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Part number

58247-96 Cushion tape, windshield mounting
This is the number out of my 08 parts manual

Last edited by vzts4q; 03-29-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:47 PM
rfultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you gotten a blister on your nose? Maybe you're riding too close to the windshield. Just kidding, sorry i can't help.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:07 PM
md168
Intermediate

I had a similar problem and found that the fairing mount brackets inside were broken...in my case the whole faring was shaking slightly. i repaired them with L brackets from the harware store and rebolted

Old 03-29-2009, 10:33 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

if its a harley windshield they are crap had nothing but problems with them coming loose

the inserts popping out went to a quality clearview included new inserts solved the

problem -ride safe

Old 03-29-2009, 11:26 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same problem with several shields. Ended up using self-adhesive neoprene (1/4") next to the two outer holes (on the inside of said holes) where you can see the "ribs" contact point.

It's a bit of a hassle (not much, really) to get it in there, but it took care of the problem very well. Bonus: It stopped the shield from vibrating with such force also.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:29 PM
gregsworld
Tourer

+1 on the shield itself being just too thin. Mine whistled too. Upgraded to Clearview. Much thicker shield. I would consider the above suggestion that it may be too tight. What irritated me more than that with my RG was the fact that EVERY HD shield I put on the bike, immediately had a giant rip in the black coating on the bottom of the shield from HD not properly addressing the sharp dash edge. It looked really rude and HD should be embarrassed about the oversight. This being said... Clearview includes an ample pad to protect their shields from the same damage. Best of luck.
Greg

Quick Reply: Windshield is SQUEAKING - help!!!