Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat Management Mode (throttle by wire)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 11:20 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Heat Management Mode (throttle by wire)

After reading some of the recent threads concerning the Heat Mangement Mode and discovering that my bike came with that feature activated from the factory, I was curious to see how it worked on the road. Last week I took a ride through the City of Orange, CA on a warm day with temps around 88 degrees. Remembering that I could activate the mode (turn-on) by twisting my throttle forward and holding for about 5 seconds, I tried it while I was sitting at a long stoplight. My right leg had already begun to cook, once the HMM kicked-in the rear cylinder shut down giving IMMEDIATE RELIEF to my overcooked extra crispy leg. WOW! This thing works great. As noted by others, I did smell the funky aroma of unspent gas and the motor seemed to have a different rythm. Can you say single cylinder thumper?! Kinda cool actually. I noticed the bike seemed to run quieter also with only the one cylinder thumping. Anticipating the light was about to go green I blipped my throttle to get the revs up and the rear cylinder back on....worked great. I love this feature on my bike. Wish my '03 had it, it's a very useful and practical solution to the heat problem we all face.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:02 PM
liv2ride57
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm,

My dealer said that for the 08 Ultra's the system works automatically and you do not have to roll the throttle forward. I know mine was activated, and it is hot most of the time where I ride, but to date haven't felt the rear cylinder deactivate. Now I know why...Could I be the recipient of misinformation from a dealer?? Like that's never happened to us all at one time or other. Can't wait to go back out and try this.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:04 PM
jjlefty51
Road Warrior

I have not really used mine yet. I willhave to give it a try when things warm up here.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:08 PM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain

mine ('08 FLHTCU) was automaticly controlled. Throttle rolling past idle did nothing. The ecm did it all. Since the 103 work, that cyl shut off jazz was discombobulated. It runs so darn much cooler heat isn't near the issue it was.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:21 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

To enable the system you roll the throttle beyond "closed" and hold it. After a couple of seconds the cruise control light will flash. If it flashes green the system is "activated". If it flashes red the system is "deactivated". To turn it on roll it forward again until it flashes green. Once it is "activated" the computer will determine when it is appropriate to turn off the rear cylinder. You don't have to do anything else.

Marc

Old 03-28-2009, 12:21 PM
08UltraRider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by liv2ride57
Hmmmm,

My dealer said that for the 08 Ultra's the system works automatically and you do not have to roll the throttle forward. I know mine was activated, and it is hot most of the time where I ride, but to date haven't felt the rear cylinder deactivate. Now I know why...Could I be the recipient of misinformation from a dealer?? Like that's never happened to us all at one time or other. Can't wait to go back out and try this.
What tda69 did by rolling the throttle forward for several seconds was that it enabled the EITMS. (cruise indicator will flash green) Once enabled it will kick in like he described when idling and the heat of the rear jug gets hot which I believe is around 275*.

EITMS is "activated" from the factory but is not enabled. Page 140 of the touring models manual.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:22 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member

Here's what I found out. On 2008 model bikes built from June to November '07, those bikes require a dealer visit to activate the feature. December '07 to current models the factory sends the bikes out with the feature already activated. In both cases, the rider can turn the feature on/off. Here's how. The bike can either be running or with the motor off.
Step 1) turn ignition on
Step 2) set handlebar switch to RUN (fuel pump)
Step 3) twist throttle forward and hold for approximately 5 seconds
Step 4) watch for cruise control light to flash red/green, then release throttle

Red flash indicated the feature is turned off
Green flash indicated the feature is tured on

When I was riding the other day, mine was turned off. So I completed the above steps (took only seconds to perform) and turned the feature on. Immediately it activated and went to work. I love this feature. I will never have an overcooked crispy thigh again!

Old 03-28-2009, 12:27 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member

08Ultrarider...you read my mind. We were posting the same thing at the exact same time, so I din't see your post until after I replied. You are correct...the temp is 275 degrees from what I read somewhere.

Oh by the way....don't waste your time like I did looking through your manual. There is NO INFORMATION that I found, except that the feature exists. In other words...visit your dealer. Gotta love Harley, huh?

Old 03-28-2009, 12:30 PM
08UltraRider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tda69
When I was riding the other day, mine was turned off. So I completed the above steps (took only seconds to perform) and turned the feature on. Immediately it activated and went to work. I love this feature. I will never have an overcooked crispy thigh again!
The "boys" will be happy you did it too.....

Old 03-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Raptor1956
Tourer

Yep the system works. Another nice feature to the 09 is if you don't want it to work then don't turn it on. From what I can see you need to turn it on every time you start the bike. Every time you turn the bike off it turns off. Nice feature only takes 5 sec. to activate.

Attached Thumbnails Heat Management Mode (throttle by wire)-p1010010.jpg  

Quick Reply: Heat Management Mode (throttle by wire)