Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Packing for a 2-week Eurotrip

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 06:26 AM
Lord Albany
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Packing for a 2-week Eurotrip

Greetings. I'm going on my first multi-day ride in June. Will be traveling 2-up on an 08 RKC. I'm looking for advice on what to pack and how to pack. I've searched the forum but most of the threads pertain to packing for solo travel. We'll be staying in hotels so I don't need any camping gear - just clothes and bike gear. I have a luggage rack as well as a leather tour-pak. Not certain which to take. What do you recommend?

Clothing: I'm thinking two outfits each, one for the road and for walking around in. I've heard of antibacterial underclothing - reduces amount of underclothing and would allow easy cleaning in hotel room. Know any good brands? Two shoes each, bike boots and a pair of sneaks. One jacket apiece for walking around in. Swimming shorts for hitting the beach. A couple hats.

Bike gear I will take:
- tool kit
- tire pressure gauge
- reflective safety vest
- rain gear sets
- Bike and wheel locks
- bike cover?

Other gear:
- GPS
- iPod
- molded earplugs
- cameras
- cellphones
- bungee cords.

And that's about it, that I can think of. So tell me what I'm missing, what I can do without, and how to get it all on the bike.

Thanks,
LA

Old 03-28-2009, 02:03 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Zip Ties, Zip Lock Plastic Bags, Duct Tape, Blue Lock-Tite, Fuses, Small amount of elec. wire, (I usually wrap it neatly around the handle of a crescent wrench, Plexus, Micro-Fiber towels (small, rolled), 2-4 Bandannas (used for a variety of things), Spare tail-light and turn signal bulbs (if incandesant) if LED, not needed, Dielectric grease, qt of oil, paper funnel, Helmets, sunglasses, googles, ant-biotic ointment, band-aides, leatherman tool, lighter, foil blanket (folds down to about the size of a deck of cards, but thicker), small LED flashlight, sunscreen, and a Hershey w/Almonds candy bar for each day you're on the road.... Good Luck, and I hope some of this might help, or at least jog the old memory for something that you might have forgotten....

Old 03-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Fast FLHX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are staying at hotels you might want to consider mailing some clothes to those locations.

So where you going?

Old 03-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast FLHX
If you are staying at hotels you might want to consider mailing some clothes to those locations.

So where you going?
+1, especially for a two week trip.

Roll the clothing, rather than folding it as you might at home; seems to take less space when tightly rolled.

There is luggage that sits on the luggage rack that will have more capacity than the leather HD Road King Tour Pak. They've been well-discussed on this forum, and I don't use them, preferring the HD King TP.

I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency) numbers in cell phones; credit card(s); bike insurance and registration; spare bike key; prescription meds; and the like.

Make a list of what you want to take, then go back over it and eliminate what's not essential or can't be purchased locally if needed.

In addition to, or in lieu of shipping stuff ahead, plan to buy some clothing on the trip and ship home the stuff you brought with you when you do.

Of course, be sure to service the bike a couple of weeks before the trip.

Enjoy your trip and post some pics when you can.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:43 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Extra key & fob.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:46 AM
Lord Albany
Road Captain

Thanks for the advice. I usually pack heavy when I travel so this will be an exercise in thrift for me. Eight cities in 14 days. Can't wait!

Old 03-29-2009, 08:52 PM
seldyn1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try some LDComfort touring shorts or under armour shorts and shirts. I wash them in the sink with shampoo and then roll them in a towel to dry them... two sets is plenty.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:34 AM
german ladyrider
Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

You won't need a tire pressure gauge you will find it on every gas station.... and think that it could be cold in Norway and can rain alot here... will you wear chaps or something like that?

That's what we use for the 10 day trip in the States....
http://www.louis.de/_30c84f47d926e22...nr_gr=10024015

...and Louis (www.louis.de) is a shop where you can buy bikers stuff and you'll find it all over Germany. So if you need something you can get it there for a reasonable price....

Last edited by german ladyrider; 04-15-2009 at 05:43 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:55 AM
Lord Albany
Road Captain

Good things to note. Thanks. It's shaping up to be a good trip. I've added the Hamburg Harley Days rally to the trip which will cap things off nicely.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:07 AM
german ladyrider
Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

That's pretty cool... Do you need help to find a hotel around there?

Quick Reply: Packing for a 2-week Eurotrip