Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Packing for a 2-week Eurotrip

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, that is going to be an awesome trip. I lived in Germany from 81-86, and again 90-93. I loved it. I would like to go back one day. I have never been to Norway, but I have been about everywhere else. Enjoy the trip!!!

Old 04-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Lord Albany
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
After having been stationed out of Germany for 11-12 years or so I've covered all those places except for your Norway leg and can honestly say you are going to have a ball!

Rostock has this enormous church you can see for miles and miles away and of course you'll have no problems sampling excellent beers the whole way.

I've never had a problem stoying the bike on ferries and the large open-sea catamarans. They have large cargo straps and just run it across the seat and lash it to the deck. I've ridden the big "Cats" twice crossing from Wales to Dublin and Belfast to Scotland; those are quite a treat if you get the chance.

In Ireland the wife and I took some laundry to a place that washes them up for you. Dropped them off and an hour and a few guiness later we had clean/folded clothes. You might find some places like that on your way.

On the autobahns in Germany stay out of the left lane unless you are passing someone, stay there too long and you'll end up with a mercedes enaema. Truckers roost in the right lane. Lots of trucks on the autobahn.

If you want some food to take with you like we would say here "to go" in German it is "zum mit nehmen".

Lots of things to see there, hope you have a great time and be safe!

Cheers
SBM, did you carry your own straps for securing the bike? Someone else recommended I take my own. If you did, did you need special straps or will any cargo strap work?

Thanks.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Lord Albany
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Johan96
When will you come to Kristiansand in Norway?
Will hit Kristiansand on the 23rd. Are you nearby?

Old 04-17-2009, 12:08 AM
Lord Albany
Road Captain

Can anyone recommend a good hotel in Frankfurt and Berlin? Preferably a place with a garage for my bike. Thanks.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:11 AM
Carolina_rider
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lord A -
Looked at your itinerary and had a few thoughts I can share with you...
If you're a seasoned euro traveller - then my apologies.

You mention a GPS and cell phones. Make sure you have the Europe and Scandinavian maps loaded in memory - these maps can be pretty expensive so you might want to consider buying a euro-unit in the arrival airport duty free shops. Make sure your cell phone is a quad-band (world phone). The frequencies here are different from the US. Also make sure your carrier (AT&T, Verizon, etc) has enabled international roaming for your account.

If you have never used your ATM card internationally, make sure your bank knows you will be using it on a regular basis outside of the US. Use the card for most of your purchases and to get the best rates on cash in local currencies. Bring at least 2 if you can. Sometimes one will not process for reasons unknown...

Don't plan on buying a lot of clothing as you go - it's extremely expensive in Europe and Scandinavia. Your best bet is a few outfits in synthetic fabrics. You can wash in the sink in the evening and they will be dry in the morning. Cotton stuff is the worst to deal with.

A half cover for your ride will be plenty.

The weather where you'll be riding can be unpredictable. Last summer was cold and wet in the Netherlands and parts of Germany. It wasn't too bad in Norway but the summer of 2007 was the coldest and wettest in 100 years. Just be prepared with good rain gear and something warm underneath. On the positive side - you'll be riding in June in Scandinavia so be prepared for sunrises around 3:00 am and sunsets around 11:00 pm.

Be aware the traffic laws are different here... I don't have a bike here but all cars in Norway are required to have a safety vest and triangle in the passenger compartment. There are plenty of members here who live and ride in the countries you are visiting that can fill you in on the details. DUI regulations are very strict. One beer will put you over the limit in Norway for example. The police regularly conduct traffic stops on weekends.

Bring 2 ratchet straps for the ferries. Queue up to load with the other bikers if you can. Don't waste your money on the first class ferry tickets. I would recommend that you book online in advance to get a guaranteed spot on a particular boat. The ferries beween Kristiansand and Hirtshals are very busy in the summer. And here's a tip - the aft (back) third of the ferry is usually where the ride is the smoothest - and also where the bar is... Just don't over do it (remembr the DUI stuff).

Good luck and have a great time!

Old 04-17-2009, 05:17 AM
Carolina_rider
5th Gear

Oh yeah - forgot to mention the traffic cameras - Watch your speed!!!
And keep a sharp eye out for moose in Sweden and Norway... they can really ruin your day!

Old 04-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord Albany
Will hit Kristiansand on the 23rd. Are you nearby?
Hi again :-) I live approx 50 km from Kristiansand. Is it the 23rd of June you are coming?

Old 04-17-2009, 11:06 AM
loco2355
Intermediate

Don't forget the small air pump for the air shocks. Also a kit to plug a tire in case of a flat.

Last edited by loco2355; 04-17-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 765 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord Albany
SBM, did you carry your own straps for securing the bike? Someone else recommended I take my own. If you did, did you need special straps or will any cargo strap work?

Thanks.
Not saying you can count on this but I've made four ferry crossings over there and the boat's crew always supplied the straps. Been on numerous ferries in an auto and seen other bikes and the crew had straps for them. These are the two inch nylon cargo straps like we use in the military. Ferries can get a little bouncy so they straped them down good.

Be very careful while driving on the decks (above or below), lots of oil from leaking cars mixed with a little water from spray or being hosed off.

Bikes are usually taken care of as a group to themselves for loading on the ferries. Normally bikes are loaded first since they can move out on their way more quickly than the autos and trucks and don't slow others down.

Keep your passport with you at all times, and some cash.

Like the thief said in Casablanca, "Vultures, vultures everywhere"!

Sport bikes and BMW'ers are dime a dozen in Europe, if your on a Hog you'll draw attention and in some places a small crowd.

The larger cities you'll see in Germany can be very fast paced, no your right-of-ways and your road signs well.

I didn't read if you were riding with anyone from there, if not; speaking for Germany, they (on the autobahn) have fuel stations/rest stops every 30-50 miles or so. Mainly just one brand per reststop, normally split up by truckers serviced on one side and autos/bikes on the other. And normally at these stops they'll have a small diner or "Imbiss"-(These are standup hotdog fast food type joints) and a actual restroom. The restroom is normally cleaned by an older woman who sits outside the door at a little table and it is expected that you put a few coins on her plate. She maintains it so pretty much that's how she gets paid.

There are numerous more reststops along the autobahns with no services, NONE! If you have to take a leak you do it near a bush, but don't walk to far because many people will have dropped a deuce and you may find it with your boot

Food/Beer:

Weizen is the beer of choice in Bavaria and is highly regarded all over. The further north you go you will find Pils in plenty. You can find both everywhere but there is a shift in quantities like I said. Take advantage of your regions where you can, swill all the Weizen you can down south, normally served with a little slice of lemon. Hefeweizen is often thick and murky (ummm good, I've had it I swear with pieces the size of hay floating throughout it, hard to beat Kristalweizen is clear, excellent too, but if I was there I'd gorge on the Hefe like an Israelite on manna

Pils can be mild to in your face herbal. Most are great to greater, have no fear and drink like a drowning man

Jager schnitzel means brown gravy with mushrooms. Pannes schnitzel means just a fried in a skillet piece of pork, same meat, just fried often in just butter. Umm, butter

You should really eat as many "Doner's-Gyro's_Kebobs" as you can. No matter what they call it, most of them (often run by Turks) are the best in the world!!! Ummmm, Gyro's !!!!!

Lots to say about traveling there, hope you have a good safe time and hope you report back on this trip.

You are gonna have a Ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Suede Blue Man; 04-17-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 765 Likes on 530 Posts

P.S. They run the cargo strap right across the seat to the deck. One strap was all it ever took. It's not like little cargo straps to any other point on your bike.

These guys are there for speed, in and out and turn the ship around.

Quick Reply: Packing for a 2-week Eurotrip