Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Packing for a 2-week Eurotrip

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord Albany
Thanks for the advice. I usually pack heavy when I travel so this will be an exercise in thrift for me. Eight cities in 14 days. Can't wait!
Can we have your route?

Old 04-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Lord Albany
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go. I've made some changes since my first post. This is the final plan for the two weeks.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,30.673828&z=5

Old 04-15-2009, 06:59 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 673 Likes on 537 Posts

i usually pack throw away clothes then buy some things to replace them and u get hame with lots of new shirts and only i pair of dirty drawers.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:54 PM
tci2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the cameras! Take lots of pics and post them here!

Old 04-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Biker Oma
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Travel Insurance, don't leave home without it. Keep a card somewhere, your wallet or in your boot, with all your emergency contact numbers for family, bike and health insurance. Info on your cell phone is useless if you are unconscious, don't ask us how we know.....

Old 04-15-2009, 10:53 PM
folkxrock
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had good luck with the luggage rack, a bag and a net. The net is great if you want to take off a jacket, keep an extra sweat shirt, stash a bottle of water - basically anything that you want quick access and are not worried about getting wet. Plus, if you pick up extra items (like t-shirts) you can toss them in the net and not have to open your bags every time you stop.
Also, I have the bags that fit inside your hard bags and they are really nice for when you stop at night. You can grab one bag from each side and walk in your hotel - same goes for reloading the bike in the morning.

Good luck on your trip!

Old 04-16-2009, 06:11 AM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 765 Likes on 530 Posts

After having been stationed out of Germany for 11-12 years or so I've covered all those places except for your Norway leg and can honestly say you are going to have a ball!

Rostock has this enormous church you can see for miles and miles away and of course you'll have no problems sampling excellent beers the whole way.

I've never had a problem stoying the bike on ferries and the large open-sea catamarans. They have large cargo straps and just run it across the seat and lash it to the deck. I've ridden the big "Cats" twice crossing from Wales to Dublin and Belfast to Scotland; those are quite a treat if you get the chance.

In Ireland the wife and I took some laundry to a place that washes them up for you. Dropped them off and an hour and a few guiness later we had clean/folded clothes. You might find some places like that on your way.

On the autobahns in Germany stay out of the left lane unless you are passing someone, stay there too long and you'll end up with a mercedes enaema. Truckers roost in the right lane. Lots of trucks on the autobahn.

If you want some food to take with you like we would say here "to go" in German it is "zum mit nehmen".

Lots of things to see there, hope you have a great time and be safe!

Cheers

Old 04-16-2009, 07:02 AM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When will you come to Kristiansand in Norway?

Old 04-16-2009, 09:12 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

there is a site i like for some of the items you might want:
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/c...-footwear.aspx

they have some antibacterial stuff that is good.

i really like this sweator. merino wool, nice and warm, but yet light. perfect for the ride.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/...ure=&kw=merino

and it can be washed with normal water.

if you are bringing along any kind of soap, i would suggest dr bonners. it can be used for body wash, toothpaste, clothes and even as a deoderant.

have you thought about bringing a micro towel, just in case you need a towel. really packs small but dries well.

if you pack clothes in plastic baggies, then you can compress the air out. amazing how much smaller all the clothes will be.

i would bring xtra socks. wet damp feet are just bad.

couple water bottles. don't dehidrate.

don't remember if anyone mentioned a first aid kit.

instead of sneakers, maybe get a pair of crocs
http://shop.crocs.com/pc-15-4-beach....categories=2,4

check out the site for the various styles. these are light, very comfortable, most of them are like rubber so water won't hurt them, easy to clean, etc. they are kinda ugly, but if you just get black who cares.

usually when i travel, like you are, i think thru a day, going over what i will be doing. so i wake up at a hotel in the morning. take a shower, will the place have soap, shampoo, etc. what about a towel. brush teeth, toothbrush, toothpaste. get dressed, underwear, shirt, etc. its raining, need rainjacket. bike won't start, what do i need. a jump. jumper cables. telephone. stopped raining, sunny, sunglasse. hot, want a drink of water.

that was probably a bad example but i think you get the idea. do that for the rest of the day, include hot, cold, wet, sun, night, rain. include the bike breaking down, etc. and for each situaion list the things you would need. i always like to bring stuff like some duct tape, some nylon rope, etc. just a small bit for those necessary emergencies.

man - have fun and ride safe.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:47 PM
redhwk44
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if it was covered but check the local requirements as far as protective clothing. By that I mean leather/ reflective outer garments. The last time in Scotland and England, everyone I saw on bikes were wearing leather pants and jackets with a reflective vest along with a helmet. Also invest in a quality rainsuit, it will get a lot of use!

Quick Reply: Packing for a 2-week Eurotrip