Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler install--needhelp please

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 07:07 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default oil cooler install--needhelp please

have everything out to start install tonite of hd oil cooler. 2 questions! 1. instructions talk about 1 of 2 gaskets being supplied with kit. one has adhesive backing and one doesn't. don't think mine does because both sides appear the same. just seems like each side is a really "slick" covering. 2. there are 2 studs on the side of the new filter adaptor that goes against the mount where the oil filter used to go. the gasket has 2 small slots that i assumed went over the studs when you mount it. they do not fit nor if they did , the hole in the middle would be off. there is also a longer slot . need help here on how correct way to mount goes. thx

Old 03-28-2009, 03:06 AM
ajay450
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I recall the studs fit through the slots in the gasket. The gasket will then be able to rotate a little each way on the face of the adapter. I was concerned that the gasket would have to be in a certain position for the oil to flow properly but I think that really doesn't matter. I did end up using a little Indian Head gasket shallac that you can get at AutoZone to work as a sealer and to keep the gasket in place when mounting the adapter. I installed mine a couple times because I had a small drip. The shallac cured the drip. You can get a 7/16 hex key at Harbor Freight also, but the quarter inch bolt and nuts work as well.

My original gasket was without the adhesive as well.