Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RG fairing install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 06:11 PM
BCguy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RG fairing install?

Just finished swapping bars on my RG and have been struggling for the last while trying to get the fairing back on. Does anybody have any tips or hints as to how to get the blasted thing back on the two metal hangers? It just won't go for me. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:31 PM
FLoTR
Road Master

I read on hear somewhere about the fairing install. Maybe try a search. If I remember right it was pretty detailed. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:52 PM
aclass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're not alone BCguy, it's a bear! Bout the time you start developing sweat beads and your back starts to hurt it will fall in place and you'll have no idea why. Patience my friend, Good luck!

Old 03-27-2009, 06:54 PM
e6fmf
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Fairing

Have had both inner and outer off many times. Practice makes perfect but we don't always want to try it because the outter is the most difficult. Here is what I do. I hold it at the bottom tilting the top inward, slightly under the inner fairing while still holding the bottom slightly outward. Push the bottom of the outter inward and hold with force flush against the inner the push down catching the two hooks they rest on. You may have to try this several times but thats my method. CAUTION: Prior to installation ensure that all wires are well away from the hooks and the outter cannot snag on anything while pushing in and down. Now is a good time to compact those wires to ensure easy installment. It takes some practice but you can do it. CAUTION: Forgot to mention to place a couple of towels on your front fender for if the outter does not catch the fingers and you lose it and it falls on the fender.

Good luck, let us know how you came out.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Remove the headlight bezel from the outer. You can then see and feel the hooks the outer must hang from. Also make sure the wings along the edge mate properly. Plug in the light harness, and snap the bezel back in.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:20 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
Remove the headlight bezel from the outer. You can then see and feel the hooks the outer must hang from. Also make sure the wings along the edge mate properly. Plug in the light harness, and snap the bezel back in.
Wanted to add to this post, Make sure you have the wiring harness back as far as it will go under the radio also

Old 03-27-2009, 07:25 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Pulling the head light bucket out is the only way to do it without having a nervous break down! Also the two bottom screw that hold your fairing on are slightly longer and have to go in there original holes.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:45 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're not alone BCguy, it's a bear! Bout the time you start developing sweat beads and your back starts to hurt it will fall in place and you'll have no idea why. Patience my friend, Good luck!

aclass is right on! But having the wife lend a hand, aided in keeping my sanity and back until it did hook up.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:02 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rideon
Pulling the head light bucket out is the only way to do it without having a nervous break down! Also the two bottom screw that hold your fairing on are slightly longer and have to go in there original holes.
This is the trick! With the headlight bucket out it is an absolute breeze. I don't know who originally suggested it but I owe him a beer... make that a case

Marc

Old 03-27-2009, 09:23 PM
BCguy
Road Captain

Thanks for the tips! I'll try it tomorrow with the headlight bezel out (once I figure out how to do that). I've been at it for hours now and I'm sick of looking at it. This setup must have been designed by Torquemada.

Oh well, tomorrow's a new day and maybe my patience will have regenerated. At least I found the wellnut I pushed inside last year.

Quick Reply: RG fairing install?