Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electra Glide Classic vs. Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006 | 02:20 PM
jeff182
|
Intermediate
Default Electra Glide Classic vs. Road Glide

Been looking into getting a new bike for about a month. Just wondered what everyones opinion is comparing the Electra Glide Standard to the Road Glide. Whats the differnce in the stationary fairing to the movable. Rides should be the same but what are the pros and cons of each bike

Old 04-30-2006 | 03:46 PM
HogBack
Road Master
Default RE: Electra Glide Classic vs. Road Glide

One thing that never can be changed is the motor.. you get it silver on both. The big difference is the fairing on the Standard is handle bar mounted, where the Glide is frame mounted. Neither are removable. So, the wind will work you more on the Batwing handle bar mount. Bag guard on the Standard. Both good bikes.

Old 04-30-2006 | 04:20 PM
buttman
Road Master

RoadGlides are the best!!! I have proof that they take you to great places!!!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/8977/7B9D0955FF804687A97AB52C76FB2A9D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-30-2006 | 04:31 PM
buttman
Road Master

OK, really, the fixed fairing takes the windload and puts it into the frame. This takes it off of your arms and gives more down force to the front forks. Even HD says that the RG is the best touring bike for putting on the miles. The RoadGlide fairing puts the gauges farther away from you. The best bet will be to rent both and see how you feel after a couple hundred miles.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8977/F9F57E4FA889496099931F19F2279A2F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-30-2006 | 05:45 PM
buckweet
Road Captain

ROADGLIDE ! ROADGLIDE ! ROADGLIDE ! ROADGLIDE! ROADGLIDE ! ROADGLIDE ! ROADGLIDE! ROADGLIDE ! ROADGLIDE !

WEET

Old 04-30-2006 | 06:02 PM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"

Bat wing Bat wing Bat wing Bat wing Bat wing Bat wing Bat wing Bat wing Bat wing Bat wing Bat wing Bat wing Bat wing Bat wing Bat wing Bat wing Bat wing Bat wing Bat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wingBat wing

Old 04-30-2006 | 07:04 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

ORIGINAL: HogBack

One thing that never can be changed is the motor.. you get it silver on both. The big difference is the fairing on the Standard is handle bar mounted, where the Glide is frame mounted. Neither are removable. So, the wind will work you more on the Batwing handle bar mount. Bag guard on the Standard. Both good bikes.
Ok, I just gotta ask, do you guys that complain about the batwing fairing and wind have little scrawny chicken-wing arms or what? I've never noticed a difference between a EG and a RG when it comes to wind, even next to a big semi!

THe other big addon to the RG is cruise control is on it. I think it might have the CB setup too (not so sure about that one). I don't know if there is really a con for the EG Standard, but that really depends on what you want to do with it. The EG comes pretty basic, so you can customize it more w/o taking as many parts off. If you don't plan to change much on your bike, then the RG might be the way to go.

Best bet, go demo or rent both of them and see which one you like better.

Old 04-30-2006 | 07:10 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member

You just have to rent them both or do what I did.............

Put down a large deposit and ride 5 different bikes before your purchase.
The first bike I rode was for an hour and a half. When I got back to the dealership, they said they were getting ready to call the police. They thought that I had crashed.........LOL, I told them I was trying out the bike, but my other rides were shorter, much shorter

Old 04-30-2006 | 07:49 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

One difference that hasn't been mentioned it night driving and the difference between the EG and RG on the headlamp illumination. The EG benefits with the fairing pointing where you are going; the RG is more like a car; the headlamp illumination lags behind the turn. Not necessarily a big difference but probably something to consider.

Also, there should be about $2K difference in MSRP between an EG Standard and a RG; that's serious money in a motorcycle.

Old 04-30-2006 | 07:56 PM
wnogood
Banned

Choose the EG if........

1- you dont mind seeing THOUSANDS of identical twins of your bike on the road.
2- you like to "Fit in" on probably the MOST traditional touring bike HD has ever built.

3- you like the fork mounted, batwing fairing.

4- you agree that the EG is VERY easy on the eyes.

Choose the RG if....

1- you dont care what the front of the fairing looks like when you will only see the back.

2- you want the smoothest riding HD, whether it looks cool or not.

3- you want to stand out in the crowd while still being part of the brotherhood.

4- you like the look of the frame mounted shark nose fairing.

AND, I am not one bit partial to either one!

nogood o~`o

Quick Reply: Electra Glide Classic vs. Road Glide