Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 01:53 PM
08bluepearl
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CB radio

I just, after a year of owning the Ultra tried the CB radio. I get the fact that maybe no one wanted to reply to my request for a shout back. My question is, when I push the pitt to talk I get a high pitch sound in the earphones, is that normal? The radio works fine through the earphones, and untill I get another headset I will not know if the intercom works.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:14 PM
canuck pride
Cruiser

Sounds like you have a wire crossed at the pitt button . Best bet is to let the dealer look at it .
Have you tried to switch over the speaker switch and listen threw the radio speakers ? I had a pinched wire on the speaker switch and gave me that same problem .
If you know someone with a hand held mic to try might help you find if your pitt button is the problem .

Old 03-27-2009, 03:01 PM
DRAFT1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08bluepearl
I just, after a year of owning the Ultra tried the CB radio. I get the fact that maybe no one wanted to reply to my request for a shout back. My question is, when I push the pitt to talk I get a high pitch sound in the earphones, is that normal? The radio works fine through the earphones, and untill I get another headset I will not know if the intercom works.
No, this is not normal. Could be a number on things, but since it should be under warranty, I would take it to the dealer. High squeal sound could be antenna grounded, wires pinched or crossed, etc. Hope this helps.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:37 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

08bluePearl ,,,,,

what brand/model of headset and cord are you using ? ,,,,,,

try it again with the helmet/headset just setting on the seat, hold down on the PTT button to get it squealing good, and have someone else wrap their hand around the CB antenna ((right side antenna on the Ultra))) and let me know if the squealing goes away ,,,,,

JMJOHN ,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,,,

Old 03-27-2009, 05:17 PM
08bluepearl
Intermediate

JMJOHN,
I did that and yes the squealing went away! I have the headset that came with the bike, Harley part # 77147-97. What do I have to do to correct the problem?
Thanks!!

Old 03-27-2009, 06:05 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

tell me again what year the bike is ?,,,,,

also ,,, do you have somebody close to you that can check the CB antenna SWR's ? ,,,

JMJOHN ,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,,

Old 03-27-2009, 06:28 PM
08bluepearl
Intermediate

John,
It is a 08 ultra, I do not have anybody close by to check the SWR's. To be honest I do not know what a SWR is?

Old 03-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,165 Likes on 3,675 Posts

Is your intercom volume up? My J&M made a loud noise until they told me to turn it down all the way if i wasn't usng it??? just a thought and cheap to try.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:40 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Standing Wave Ratio.. SWR .. what it is , Is looking at the forward and reflected power of the unit thru the antenna.. The swr meters at least the cheaper units look at the swr in units from a 1:1 to a 4:1 swr and beyond. The real meters look at forward power and reflected power and sometimes at the same time... So the most forward power and the least reflected power results in the best conditions for a transmitting device. A higher reflected power and a lower forward power tells you your loosing power. Sometimes just shortening the antenna can result in a lower swr but they are hard to lengthen. There are many equations to figure the optimum antenna length . I usually use 468/freq in MHZ . this gives me a 1/2 wavelength antenna and if i want 1/4 i divide that ... But there are other equations as needed for different style antennas..
I hope this didnt bore you too much...

Old 03-27-2009, 07:34 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

it is a good idea NotGrownUp has to turn the intercom volume down to see if this affects the squeal ,,,,,

but I suspect a CB antenna issue here ,,,, it may not be plugged in, the coax cable going to it could be damaged etc ,,,,

get to your dealer and have them get an SWR meter on it ,,, that will tell you alot of things, id addition to tuning it ,,,

JMJOHN ,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,,

Quick Reply: CB radio