Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Cat 2into1 owners question!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009 | 08:58 PM
sharknu
|
Cruiser
Default Fat Cat 2into1 owners question!

Hi....how many of you have had your pipes turning gold/yellow just in front of the baffle? I went to the Harley dealer today and the service manager said that he see's them all the time. I said of all the 2-1 fatcats...I have never seen one turning gold color. I went over to the parts counter and told the parts guy and he said.....wow...I have never seen a Fat Cat turn Gold. Hmmmmmmm
thanks

Old 03-26-2009 | 09:06 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior

Only have about 500 miles on mine, but no gold yet. I will say that the instructions (I know... dork for reading the instructions) did mention the chrome going through a "seasoning" period or something like that. Chrome polish/blue job/whatever should take it back to silver, according to D&D.

I'm sure your AFR/heat would affect this as well. I'm running a PCIII, not sure of the AFR, but it's pretty rich. You know where your SEST is set? Might be making too much heat out of the exhaust.

Old 03-26-2009 | 09:16 PM
buttman
Road Master

I have never seen a fatcat turn any color......I've been running mine for four years and have forty thousand miles on it.....still shiney.....

What kind of mileage are you getting on the highway at constant cruise ( 70 or over), it should be in the 40's, if it's lower, you're running rich, if its higher than mid forties, you're running lean....

Last edited by buttman; 03-26-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-26-2009 | 09:24 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

I've been running and installing FatCats since they were released in 2002.

I have never seen one "blue". D&D will warranty their chrome. However, I'd get it tuned properly 1st, and then see about getting the something replaced....

Now, as I was typing a question popped into mind... Are you talking about the heat shield turning colors or the pipe underneath the shield? All pipes turn colors ~ heat shields should not.

Old 03-26-2009 | 09:26 PM
sharknu
|
Cruiser
Default mpg

everytime I check it...35mpg.
What to do....go after the dealer for not putting the correct map on it when installing the fatcats with SEST? I had the dealer write down on a sheet of paper the map they use. Here it is.....205TD004.dto
I need to go to somebody with my SEST gadget to see if they did put the correct map on it.
Is this the correct map?
thanks

Old 03-26-2009 | 09:32 PM
buttman
Road Master

I would go with a custom tune, not an out of the box generic map......but that is just me

Originally Posted by sharknu
everytime I check it...35mpg.
What to do....go after the dealer for not putting the correct map on it when installing the fatcats with SEST? I had the dealer write down on a sheet of paper the map they use. Here it is.....205TD004.dto
I need to go to somebody with my SEST gadget to see if they did put the correct map on it.
Is this the correct map?
thanks

Old 03-26-2009 | 11:03 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by buttman
I would go with a custom tune, not an out of the box generic map......but that is just me
Not just you

Old 03-27-2009 | 07:44 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by PhilM
Are you talking about the heat shield turning colors or the pipe underneath the shield? All pipes turn colors ~ heat shields should not.

Exactly what Phil said............the actual pipes will change colors, but the heat shields should not.

Steve

Old 03-27-2009 | 07:47 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Since ya got a 105th I'd get it properly tuned and the ceramic coat the Fatcat in black! Look badazz

Old 03-27-2009 | 07:59 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Here's what a ceramic coated fatcat with chrome muff looks like

Attached Thumbnails Fat Cat 2into1 owners question!-pict0130.jpg  

Quick Reply: Fat Cat 2into1 owners question!