Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tightening the Drive Belt

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009 | 05:34 PM
Peppa1
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Tightening the Drive Belt

I'm going to be assisting a friend with tightening his drive belt on his 08 Ultra this weekend and needed some advice on the easiest way to do this. I see where the nut for the tension (tighter or looser) is on the left side (pulley/belt side). Can you just rotate it clockwise for tightening and not have to mess with the nut on the right side of the swingarm or do I have to do something with that nut too !! He has the manual but it still isn't totally clear to me. Also anybody know what size that nut is ? Thanks

Old 03-26-2009 | 06:18 PM
Standard
Tourer

It is a 36MM.

You need two wrenches to do it properly and the tensioning tool to apply the 10 lbs of pressure on the belt to determine the proper tension.

There are tons of posts about the easier ways to get it done if you do a search.

Is there a reason you are adjusting his belt? Are you changing a tire?

Good Luck

Old 03-27-2009 | 07:11 AM
Peppa1
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Standard
It is a 36MM.

You need two wrenches to do it properly and the tensioning tool to apply the 10 lbs of pressure on the belt to determine the proper tension.

There are tons of posts about the easier ways to get it done if you do a search.

Is there a reason you are adjusting his belt? Are you changing a tire?

Good Luck
NO we aren't changing a tire, he just seems to think it's too loose. I haven't seen it yet. He just got back from Afghanistan.

Old 03-27-2009 | 07:27 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Yeah, you have to move the axle back equally on both sides so the tire stays aligned.

If you don't have the handy-dandy belt tension tool, a rule of thumb is adjust the belt until you can twist it to a 45* angle. Twist it mid-way between pulleys. If ya can twist it more than 45*, to loose, can't twist it 45*, to tight. I've been doing it this way for awhile, and no prob's.

good luck

Old 03-27-2009 | 07:43 AM
Boatman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Peppa1
NO we aren't changing a tire, he just seems to think it's too loose. I haven't seen it yet. He just got back from Afghanistan.

I would check it after I had rode 20-30 miles. The belt is much tighter when warmed up. I would rather have a little on the loose side than tight, but that's just me. Too me, when the belt is cold, and I use the gauge tensioner, the belt is too tight.

Old 03-27-2009 | 08:19 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior

I was also told to check it with someone sitting on the bike too...?

Old 03-27-2009 | 10:05 AM
gary_montague
Road Captain

Has anyone here ever tried to use a harmonic belt tensioning tool on a harley drive belt? I have a goodyear harmonic tensioning tool and I was thinking of trying it out on a new bike at the dealership or when the next person comes in to work with a brand new bike. The way they work, is to strike the belt with something like a screwdriver handle and then recording the tone the belt makes.

Old 03-27-2009 | 10:09 AM
ojgp
Advanced

There's an elliptical washer welded to the left side of the axle and a corresponding like washer that fits on the axle, right side. Check the belt tension with a tension guage, remove the axle nut retaining ring (right side), loosen the axle nut to "barely snug", turn the axle (right side) clockwise to tighten. Just a little bit at a time too...things tighten up quickly. Once you're "there" hold what you just turned and properly torque the axle nut. Then recheck the belt tension. Do it over if you dick it up. Don't forget to re-install the retaining ring. Free advice - consult a shop manual for the specific year, use a belt tension guage, and use a torque wrench. Doing it "by feel" is appropriate for use on members of the opposite sex...not on yours or someone elses' motorcycle. Replacing a belt is a major job...but if properly maintained they last a good long time.

Old 03-27-2009 | 10:33 AM
wagsrk08
Road Captain

Good start having the Service Manual. You'd be in a better shape if you had the HD Belt Tention Gauge (Part No. HD-35381A) which your dealership should have. If not check Jims HD Tools.

Remove e-clip on right side axle, loosen cone nut using a 36mm socket or box end wrench, then re-tighten to 20 ft-lbs. Check deflection of belt. Turn left side weld nut clock wise to tighten, counter clock wise to loosen. I use the 36mm box end wrench to hold left side weld nut while tightening cone nut with socket and torque wrench to 95-105 ft-lbs. Service Manual says once you do this back off cone nut one full turn then re-tighten again. Always replace the e-clip.

Unless you have the offset cone nut tool wrench you'll have to remove right sight slip on muffler. I just did this for the other day since I put new tires on the bike and I took in the wheels myself to save on labor. 2nd time I've done this with my bike. You'll be fine!

Old 03-27-2009 | 10:52 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Welcome to HDF!

You say your buddy has the manual for his bike. You should also have the manual for your bike! The ritual is the same for both. If you don't have a factory workshop manual for your bike, now is the time to get one....

Quick Reply: Tightening the Drive Belt