Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modulating Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Coffeeman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modulating Brake Light

I have an Air Wing Tour Pack with LED Light Kit. I am wondering if anyone has hooked up a brake light flash module to it. I am wondering about the 5-flash and then steady module. Just wondering if it would work or look right. Any thoughts or what unit you used. Thanks.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Coffeeman
I have an Air Wing Tour Pack with LED Light Kit. I am wondering if anyone has hooked up a brake light flash module to it. I am wondering about the 5-flash and then steady module. Just wondering if it would work or look right. Any thoughts or what unit you used. Thanks.
You might check to see if it's legal. There is even a question if flashing brake lights are legal in some states.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:13 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Trock
You might check to see if it's legal. There is even a question if flashing brake lights are legal in some states.
I'm not a lawyer, but I do know that it is recommended through the advanced motorcycle course I took that you flash your brake lights to alert the people behind you when you are slowing down (time/space permitting of course). Not sure how I can get a ticket if I'm flashing my brake light manually to alert other drivers.

Do a search on this topic. Somebody in the past posted a link to a DOT (or some place similiar) regulation that recommends flashing the brake light. I believe (again, not a lawyer) that this trumps state law.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Coffeeman
Advanced

Thanks, I live in Arkansas and did not think to check the state laws. If I decide to do this (?) I will first check the laws. thanks.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:20 PM
karjalahti
Intermediate

Mastery How did your fiasco end up just short one liner me so we don't get another thread closed.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:17 PM
rhaneski
Cruiser

Id rather have a ticket than be injured because some jerk didn't see me.
I use the signal dynamics back off wig wag. lights on the tour pack alternately flash left right left right go solid pulse four times then pulse three times and repeat.

http://signaldynamics.com/products/Modules/wigwag.asp

I used the kuryakyn panacea set up on all my other bikes.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:16 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the brake light flasher from Comagination on my bike. I flashed 4-5 times then goes steady. I figured it's more reliable than trying to manually flash the lights and stop at the same time. Mine is connected to some LED strips I have mounted on the rear but I left the stock brake light alone so it goes on and stays steady. I haven't had any LEO problems with it but if I do I'll pay the fine. I feel better knowing I have the extra attention getter flashing.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mastery
I'm not a lawyer, but I do know that it is recommended through the advanced motorcycle course I took that you flash your brake lights to alert the people behind you when you are slowing down (time/space permitting of course). Not sure how I can get a ticket if I'm flashing my brake light manually to alert other drivers.

Do a search on this topic. Somebody in the past posted a link to a DOT (or some place similiar) regulation that recommends flashing the brake light. I believe (again, not a lawyer) that this trumps state law.
Yes, I copied that paragraph and put it in my bag. But, none of the brake flasher makers will say they're legal. I workout with some HPD and deputy sheriffs, they all said they were illegal but ...Probably.. wouldn't stop someone. If I read the OP correct he wants to add a flasher to the tour pak. I think that is asking for trouble. We all know it would help someone to see you but the law reads no flashing lights except for emergency vehicles. I've searched the net and can't find anything to back me up. If you know where it is I would love a copy.

Last edited by Trock; 03-26-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:56 PM
Chasenfish
Road Captain

I would check the individual state(s) where you routinely ride. My state law has language that appears to allow it. I would at least argue my point in court, if necessary.
(4) Flashing lights are prohibited except on an authorized emergency vehicle, school bus, snow removal equipment, or on any vehicle as a means for indicating a right or left turn, or the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring unusual care in approaching, overtaking or passing.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rhaneski
Id rather have a ticket than be injured because some jerk didn't see me.
I use the signal dynamics back off wig wag. lights on the tour pack alternately flash left right left right go solid pulse four times then pulse three times and repeat.

http://signaldynamics.com/products/Modules/wigwag.asp

I used the kuryakyn panacea set up on all my other bikes.
I had the same product on my 1999 and 2002 Electra Glides. The 10 different states I rode in never had a problem with law enforcement....

Trucky911

Quick Reply: Modulating Brake Light