Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with my painter, question for painters?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 10:04 AM
FX4 Level II
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problems with my painter, question for painters?!

Hey guys, so I took my '02 FLHTC to get it painted. I took it to a guy that is just getting into his own business, had a portfolio from where he worked before, etc. Promised me a show quality finish, he said he has had stuff he painted in "Truckin'" and bike magazines. So I trusted him.
Got my parts back and to say the least, they look like hell! I don't even want to put them on my bike! Clearcoating looks pocked or dimpled, paint is shoddy, etc. Looks bad.
I wrote him a check which I stopped payment on and left him a message to not cash it till we talk. I want to give him a chance to fix it, but I honestly don't think he has the talent to do it. Considering he thinks this work is show quality and I think it looks terrible?

What would you do if you were me? Am I right to not pay him till it's right? I mean I had a few people look at it and all agree it looks bad. Dimpled, pocked, clearcoat runs. What do I do now?? Cut my losses and take it somewhere else?

Old 03-26-2009, 10:09 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like most of those probs are what is known as "orange peel"
Are you happy with the actual paint work?
Just unhappy with the finish?
The things you describe, sound to me like it needs more final wet sanding & buffing.

Is this guy from Knoxville TN?
We have a guy running around here saying that same crap...Truckin mag...all BS!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:10 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if he is doing show quality finishes then it should have been wet sanded and rubbed out leaving it as smooth as a babys azz..

Old 03-26-2009, 10:13 AM
willie37
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi i am a retired body man painter and it sounds like either a chemical. Or just big orange peel. Without seeing it i can only guess. I would take it to a good paint shop and let them look at it. You may get by with a good color sanding and buff. Or it may have to be removed and start all over again.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:20 AM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Curious if you actually/physically inspected some of his finished work before hiring him? Or was it all his word and/or pictures in his portfolio? From my past experience, I always ask for references and then call/visit those people to see for myself the caliber of that painter's work.

Not sure how your "contract" was worded before the job was started since that would drive what recourse you have. Best of luck.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:25 AM
canuck pride
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a bad paint job like that one day , and it sounds like you where a lot nicer then I was .
But the good thing is you got all your parts a home . What I did was take my bitch down to the local paint shop and show him what I had . It was really bad runs, bugs,dirt, sweat. all the goodies . They set me in the direction of the art of buffing . I didn't think it would turn out but when I was done it was the best paint job I ever had done .
I was told to wet sand with 1500 grit first then move to a 2000 grit . after that buffing compound , then buff with a good buffing wheel . You won't like the first time so wheel it again . I did my 3 times before I was happy . Hope I helped .

Old 03-26-2009, 10:29 AM
FX4 Level II
Cruiser

Well I went to get it the first time and he said he was keeping it cause he noticed some stuff in the clear. He said it was chemical from cleaning his gun and that it must of created bubbles. When I went to get it, it was somewhat dark, but I got it home and it looks bad, really bad. Most of it has to do with the clearcoat, but also, some of the flamed graphics are bad, so he would have to sand it completely off and start over. there was some parts where he burnt through the paint, like he sanded too much and scraped paint off. Basically I paid him $150 up front, and the the rest yesterday in which I stopped payment, and he still has my tank and saddlebags.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:31 AM
FX4 Level II
Cruiser

No I didn't see any of his work in real life, just pictures and stuff. He talked a big game, but failed to deliver.
I almost don't want to give him another chance, just because obviously his idea of quality is different than mine. I now just want to cut my losses on the paint cost and take it somewhere else?
We had no contract, just verbal agreement. I am not trying to screw him out of money, but it's bad!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:34 AM
FX4 Level II
Cruiser

canuick pride, that would work but I don't know if I have enough clear on it to even do that? He claimed he wet sanded a bunch and stuff, but some of the graphics are messed up and stuff.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:37 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's THAT bad...go get your parts and cut the strings.

Me? I wouldn't pay him crap.

Quick Reply: Problems with my painter, question for painters?!