Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD mp3 player - SD format limitations - computer geeks please help???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 01:08 AM
dchoran
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD mp3 player - SD format limitations - computer geeks please help???

First off, the HD mp3 player is an awesome custom fit unit - easy access to all buttons - more output voltage than most other mp3's - no monkeying around - no batteries - cool.

I hard wired it into the cigarette lighter with an adaptor from Radio Shack rather than removing the fairing again.

It really CRANKS with PEZ's Hogtunes - can't even hear my pipes at 80 mph on the hiway Get more looks around town from my sound system than the straight pipes [&o]

FOR FELLOW COMPUTER WHIZZES ---- THIS ONE STUMPED ME TODAY --- ANY EXPLANATIONS??? :

Ok, I've got the HD mp3 player with a separately purchased 1 gig Secure Digital card. (I use Windows 2000 and/or XP Pro).

The SD card only takes ~ 660 megs of mp3's then says disk is full - yet the drive graphic shows another 340 meg available. No problem stuffing it to 1 gig with other file types???

So I reformatted the SD card (using FAT) - same results. Still only allows 660 meg of mp3's - 1 gig of any other type of files - used 4 x 250 meg files - worked fine???

Next, thinking this could be that stupid a$$ 32KB file sector thing, I reformatted the SD card (using FAT32/NTFS) - PERFECT - got a full gig of mp3's on the SD card finally.

So I go plug it into the HD mp3 player and BANG - "ERR" - the freakin unit won't read FAT32/NTFS formatting - and of course no firmware upgrades are available.

RESULT - back to FAT formatting and 660 megs of mp3's - bummer - should have bought a 2 gig maybe - spent the better part of a Saturday on this.

DID I DO SOMETHING WRONG HERE OR HAVE I HIT THE LIMITATION OF THE HARDWARE??? ANYBODY ELSE ENCOUNTER THIS???

Thanks for helping out a fellow computer geek (if interested, check out my office setup attached).

Old 04-30-2006, 01:35 AM
NoKenDo
Road Master
Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: HD mp3 player - SD format limitations - computer geeks please help???

Wow some office...If you dont know,who the hell would?

Old 04-30-2006, 02:27 AM
nfe
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: HD mp3 player - SD format limitations - computer geeks please help???

Ok, so my first question is your now in Green Bay?? What do you do there that needs 4 monitors??

Second. I know there use to be a file limit with FAT. I'm thinking that 660 is the max entries in the file table for that card. I'd be willing to guess that if you remove 2 files, and add 2 of the 250mb files you will fill it up!

Let me know if that works..

-NFE

P.S. I can see the use of 4 monitors, but on 2 machines.. That's what i develop on!

LOL

Old 04-30-2006, 10:35 AM
dchoran
Road Warrior

NFE, I figured it was a FAT file thing but wasn't sure.

These days there are usually ways around that kinda stuff. Looking for a solution if possible.

The SD card just won't take all mp3's - ~ 125 files, 660 megs max.

>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>

in response to the small office pic - what do I do???:

I look at girlie pics spread out across my Matrox QUAD video card - 4 x19" monitor = ~ 40"x40" desktop - one computer.

Larger than life - and by zooming in on the details of high resolution photos, its like having an electron microscope. [8D]

And yes, I have a network of multple machines and laptops with A/B/C/D video switches and five DVI/analog Samsung 191T's which really results in like having a gazillion monitors right in front of me. Overkill but nice - ever hear of multitasking???

Seriously, when I was between jobs for a few months, I daytraded Nasdaq and S&P futures on CME/Globex (NQ and ES). The market is a rush, intense and runs at the speed of light - UFB how much money changes hands every second - and this is my backup plan in case I end up with an unexpected pink slip again. If you want first hand daytrading advice, send me a PM or email.

Thanks for asking. Dave H. NOW LETS GET BACK TO THE SCOOTERS

Old 04-30-2006, 11:39 AM
raftgyde
Road Master

I've run across USB pin/key drives that have a file limitation number in the root folder. Off hand, I don't remember what that limit was, but I could delete 1 file, create a subfolder, move a bunch of files to the subfolder, and things would start working normally again. You may have run up against that root folder file number limit. Good luck.

Old 05-01-2006, 01:06 AM
nfe
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: raftgyde

I've run across USB pin/key drives that have a file limitation number in the root folder. Off hand, I don't remember what that limit was, but I could delete 1 file, create a subfolder, move a bunch of files to the subfolder, and things would start working normally again. You may have run up against that root folder file number limit. Good luck.

Now that I think of it, I believe there is a limit with FAT file systems on the number of files in a directory total... It's been SOOOO long, I don't really remember anymore..

-NFE

Old 05-02-2006, 07:28 PM
RaginCajun
Stage I

The wall you keep running into is the limitation of FAT.

Give this a shot, set up multiple folders at the root level and load your MP3s into them instead of dumping them all into the root level. For example, you can set up folders by the artist name or types of music, etc. The idea is to have less number of files at the root level (you may hit the problem again if you try loading too many files in a seperate folder too).

Play around with it and see if that'll get you around the problem.....

Scott

Old 05-02-2006, 08:32 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Yup the directory limit sounds like the bad boy there.

I had the same thing on a car mp3 player (cdr) I could only put a certain amount on the root of the CD, but when I created sub folders I could fill that puppy up!

Old 05-02-2006, 09:33 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior

Good tips Scott and Steve BUT the Harley player cannot read folders - they specifically say in the instructions DO NOT create folders.

Guess we pay for 1 gig and get 660 meg period. Just gotta buy more cards now.

THANKS

Dave H.

Old 05-03-2006, 06:10 PM
stglideblk
Cruiser

what is a hd mp3 player? are you referring to the hk on the 06's?

Quick Reply: HD mp3 player - SD format limitations - computer geeks please help???