Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams VS 103" conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 06:53 PM
BDHE
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cams VS 103" conversion?

Greetings everyone;

Has anyone just changed cams on the '09 96" engine instead of going to the 103" kits? I've heard of a lot of people that do the 103" upgrade, but NOT change cams.

I'm wondering if just going to the SE 255 cams on the 96" engine might produce a significant improvement.

Bryon

Old 03-25-2009, 06:56 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

It really depends on what you are looking to gain, and what you want. You could read this post:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ad-advice.html

Bob

Old 03-25-2009, 07:00 PM
crewchief25
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

Friend of mine had a Andrews 26h w/SE air cleaner and Rinehart true duels on a 08 SG with a custom map make 85hp & 101 torque. He is selling the cams. The map may help you also. He has the SERT and I believe it can be converted to the SEST.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:01 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed Andrews 26 cams in mine. The added power is nice, but I'm probably going to a 103" next winter.... It's never enough.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:12 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

I just added Andrews 26H cams. I'm very happy with the improved performance and have no plans to go to 103" until I need a new top end.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:13 PM
customrydes
Advanced

Your 255 cam is more of a high end cam which comes on later in the powerband. At our dealership we install a lot of 204 cams with a woods 4 degree advanced cam gear and have had great numbers out of that combination.Obviously it depends on your exhaust that makes a big difference and from what I have seen on here a lot of guys do not use a screamin eagle race tuner or super tuner. The tuner is by far the best way to tune your motorcycle it may be expensive but by far the best way to tune your motorcycle barnone.

Attached Thumbnails Cams VS 103" conversion?-92-fatboy.jpg  
Old 03-25-2009, 07:26 PM
dmgary
Cruiser
Talking hmmm

Ive had the 255 cams in my 96 it was ok. Went to a 103 with flat top pistons and 255 cams and made 85hp and 105tq. I have changed cams to a 258 and its a whole new bike WOW is all i can say

Old 03-25-2009, 09:12 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by customrydes
Your 255 cam is more of a high end cam which comes on later in the powerband.
You must be thinking of the 251's, because the 255's are just the opposite. They are low-end cams if there ever were any.

The tuner is by far the best way to tune your motorcycle it may be expensive but by far the best way to tune your motorcycle barnone.
Well, some will dispute the superiority of SERT/SEST and although it is certainly overkill for many riders it is truly a fine tuner among others on the market. It could be easily argued the PCV with Auto-Tune with its wide-band O2 sensors is the better tuner since it tunes on the fly, which is something SERT/SEST will only do within the limited parameters of the narrow-band O2 sensors. The PCV-AT will do it throughout the RPM/TP range, which is something SERT/SEST can't do.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:37 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BDHE
Greetings everyone;

Has anyone just changed cams on the '09 96" engine instead of going to the 103" kits? I've heard of a lot of people that do the 103" upgrade, but NOT change cams.

I'm wondering if just going to the SE 255 cams on the 96" engine might produce a significant improvement.
I just performed a cam swap on my '07 TC96 and opted for the SE255. I was looking for cams that would take my already excellent, flat TQ curve achieved with the Fuel Moto Power Package and simply move that curve up about 5-6 with no shift to the right at the expense of low-end TQ. If I don't count the time I'm at idle or transitioning to cruising speed, about 99% of my riding is between 2-4K RPM and that is the range I'm concerned with.

The end result was exactly what I expected, and I mean that favorably. There is a nice improvement in power throughout the RPM range, primarily from 2500-4000 RPM. I'm very happy with the result, but these are not racing cams and a massive increase in peak HP should not be the reason you buy them, as you won't get it. For heavy touring bikes with tall gearing this is my idea of a meaningful performance increase where most of us ride.

I did the work myself and spent $285, which includes $110 for the slightly used but perfect cams and the remainder for the HD cam-install kit (17045-99C), Timkin inner bearings, and bearing install/removal tool. The SE255's can occasionally be seen on Ebay that sell for no more than $150, and buying used cams is not a problem as long as they weren't removed from an engine that cratered. I did a write-up on the install process here.

I didn't want to go with the 103" upgrade because of the expense and realization that it would likely make a smaller difference than the cams alone. Fuel Moto has dynoed many different Harley configurations and I was told the 103" kit alone (no cams) would bring only a small HP/TQ increase over a TC96. The Stage II kit with 103", flat-top 10:1 pistons, and the SE255 would make a bigger difference, but that's a big expense and I wasn't looking for major increases, just a meaningful change that didn't cost an arm and a leg. I got that and am happy with the result.

Last edited by iclick; 05-20-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:12 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Increasing your motor's displacement by 7 ci (96 to 103), without doing anything else, will yield a significant increase in torque (10+ ft-lbs) across the entire powerband and a bit less of an increase in horsepower and these increases are accomplished without affecting driveability in any way.

The 'best' option is to do both cams and jugs, but if you're on a budget, increasing your displacement alone is a viable alternative to doing cams alone. I don't think there's a wrong option here. I've always loved good cams and plan to swap out my stockers in the future, but for now, because my goal was primarily to boost low-end torque and power, increasing my motor's displacement to 103 ci was the right choice for me.

After I add the right cams, the process will be complete, but in the meantime, I'm enjoying the nice increase in power I've gained with the 103 ci Stage I kit (jugs, pistons, and SE intake).

Last edited by XTrooper3936; 03-26-2009 at 05:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Cams VS 103" conversion?