Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams VS 103" conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 07:07 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jimski
I'm planning on having the 255's installed. When I got an estimate from the dealer he never mentioned changing the inner bearings. What's the reason you changed to the Timken inner bearings and is it absolutely necessary?
It's not absolutely necessary, but well advised. The original INA bearings have half the rollers of the Torrington B-168. It's very cheap insurance.

You can order them from Amazon, or buy them from your dealer

http://www.amazon.com/Torrington-B-1...4357107&sr=8-1

Old 05-20-2010, 07:39 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,297 Likes on 22,627 Posts

Originally Posted by BDHE
Greetings everyone;

Has anyone just changed cams on the '09 96" engine instead of going to the 103" kits? I've heard of a lot of people that do the 103" upgrade, but NOT change cams.

I'm wondering if just going to the SE 255 cams on the 96" engine might produce a significant improvement.

Bryon
Tons of threads on cams on this site.
Use your "Search" feature.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:00 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jimski
I'm planning on having the 255's installed. When I got an estimate from the dealer he never mentioned changing the inner bearings. What's the reason you changed to the Timken inner bearings and is it absolutely necessary?
I agree with Boogaloodude that although it might not be essential, it is good insurance since the bearings are more robust than stock and you will be stressing the bearings a bit more with the higher lift. They cost <$15/pr. and once you're inside the cam chest they are easily replaced if you have the right tool, which a dealer certainly will. I've never heard of the stock INA bearings failing in any application and my dealer uses them routinely for cam upgrades, but I made the change anyway.

They are available from HD for $15 in the SE catalog (#24018-10), listed as "SE high-performance inner cam bearings." The Amazon site lists them for $7.14 each but once you add shipping ($8.39 for one) it will be higher than most sources. I bought mine from a local bearing-supply store for $15/pr. including shipping.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:12 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gordon65
Only 3 hours labor some of you are being quoted? crap....now i gotta go get a quote from my dealer.... I had it all set in my head, that I was gonna wait a year and do the job myself. I didn't want to do anything to negate the last year of my warranty....but if i can get a dealer to do it for 3hrs labor, now that worth it to me...
Before I did the job myself I asked the dealer and they quoted me six hours with adjustable pushrods. At the time I told them I could do it in four, which turned out to be a gross understatement. Reusing the stock pushrods it took me a full day and part of the next, but I worked very slowly, labeled all parts, and double-checked everything. Reusing the stock pushrods adds 2-3 hours to the job, as the rocker covers and plates, etc., must be removed and reinstalled. It's a hassle but eliminates the $125+ cost of adjustables, and once done it is done with no pushrod adjusting to do then or later.

I did my job in March '09 and had some warranty work done on the tranny (mainshaft bearing) later that year. I don't hide anything from my dealer and they knew I had done a DIY cam job, yet they arranged to have the warranty honored even though it expired 10 months before that (long story). So, it really depends on your dealer whether or not they want to hassle you about warranty or not, as unless a cam job causes or contributes to an otherwise-warrantable repair neither the dealer nor HD can legally deny your warranty.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:48 PM
jimski
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a thanks to boogaloodude and iclick for taking the time to reply to my question. I'll give the points you guys made some serious consideration...

Old 05-20-2010, 03:31 PM
NMNSG08
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cams and good head rewoking will give you more than a 103.Look around at some good head reworking shops.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:05 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Is this inner bearing thing something only you guys on this sight worry about??
When I had my cams put in at my local dealer the mechanic didn't say boo about upgrading them and it wasn't like they where busy it was the dead of winter and they had almost nothing else to do and he could have nickle dimed me for another $50-75 but didn't.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:20 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by jag1886
Is this inner bearing thing something only you guys on this sight worry about??
No, check the other forums and you'll likely find the same opinions. Changing to Torringtons is a routine step in a cam change for many techs. This may have become a habit with some from the Evo days when changing the bearings was a requirement rather than an option for all cam upgrades. The stock 3/4" bearings were not robust enough to handle much more than stock cams. The early-TC's had upgraded 7/8" bearings, but I don't know the service history on these. The late-model TC's have 1" INA bearings and it could be that these are good enough for any cam upgrade. I can't say, but I'm not sorry I made the change to be on the safe side.

When I had my cams put in at my local dealer the mechanic didn't say boo about upgrading them and it wasn't like they where busy it was the dead of winter and they had almost nothing else to do and he could have nickle dimed me for another $50-75 but didn't.
As I mentioned earlier, my dealer routinely replaces the inner bearings on cam installs but uses the stock INA's that come in HD's cam-install kit. OTOH if you want Torringtons they'll certainly oblige. If your dealer billed you for this kit I would bet they changed the inner-bearings with new INA's, or should have. It takes very little time and they obviously have the right tools to do the job. If you have INA inner-bearings in your bike I wouldn't worry about it, as I haven't ever heard of these failing. I know, if they don't fail why replace them with Torringtons, right? Just call it habit or paranoia.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:08 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks iclick I think I won't worry about it

Old 05-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
Thanks iclick I think I won't worry about it
You don't need to worry about it until you start building higher performance motors. Running cams with big lift puts more strain on the valve train, and changing to full needle bearings is more than just a good practice, it's a necessity. For true bolt-in cams, where you aren't making any changes to your valves/valve springs/rockers, it's not really necessary, but it is cheap insurance.

Since I do a lot of my own work, and I figured I was gonna be in the cam chest anyway, changing over to full needle bearings cost me all of about 18 bucks, and maybe 10 minutes.

Last edited by Mike; 05-21-2010 at 08:27 PM.