Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams VS 103" conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:34 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Like iclick did I added the SE255 cams only. I also ride in the 2,500-4,000 rpm range. I am very happy with the results. Not much difference in mpg except when using 6th gear, I got improved mpg there. I did end up with increased volume with my exhaust
If you are considering to allow a HD shop do the work here is an estimate:
$299 cams
$200 labor
$139 adjustable push rods
jim

Old 03-26-2009, 08:01 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

Whichever way you go, you will see an increase in hp and tq. If you are like me and alot of others here, that will just be the start. Even after you get the 103" motor and the cams, performance heads will be on your mind constantly............ it never ends.

Dennis

Old 03-26-2009, 08:16 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rochkes
............ it never ends.

Dennis
Ain't that the truth!

I've done this so many times with vehicles over the years, I hate to think about it.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:12 AM
ga4boats
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the process of having an HQ525 cam installed in my 09 Street Glide; the bike will remain a 96ci engine. This is being done by one of the HQ guys (Kevin) who also runs one of the Atlanta area H-D dealer service departments. They also are doing the tuning of the bike. Results will be forthcoming.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:30 AM
timvan
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ga4boats
I am in the process of having an HQ525 cam installed in my 09 Street Glide; the bike will remain a 96ci engine. This is being done by one of the HQ guys (Kevin) who also runs one of the Atlanta area H-D dealer service departments. They also are doing the tuning of the bike. Results will be forthcoming.
Where are you having this done? Which tuner did you decide on?

Old 03-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 856 Likes on 297 Posts

I have a stock 96- SE211s Makes 95 HP 107 TQ as it is currently setup. Keep in mind the 255s are basically a high lift cam with stock duration.

103s performance for Dollar is low. To leverage them you need a head port and a better cam then a 255 IMHO. The right Cams in a 96 are a big bang for the buck actually spent.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:02 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
Like iclick did I added the SE255 cams only. I also ride in the 2,500-4,000 rpm range. I am very happy with the results. Not much difference in mpg except when using 6th gear, I got improved mpg there. I did end up with increased volume with my exhaust
If you are considering to allow a HD shop do the work here is an estimate:
$299 cams
$200 labor
$139 adjustable push rods
My dealer wanted six hours @ $75 for a cam swap with adjustable pushrods. That's $450 labor, and that put them out of the running. I decided to do it myself and stay with the stock pushrods, which complicated the job but gave me a great bonding experience with the bike. That included arguments and foul language, but in the end we're still friends.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:31 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Donnylee
I have a stock 96- SE211s Makes 95 HP 107 TQ as it is currently setup. Keep in mind the 255s are basically a high lift cam with stock duration.
Duration of the 255's is longer for both intake and exhaust than stock by 13°. Longer duration usually translates into a loss of low-end performance, and once again that's not what some of us want. The 255's trade off the loss from increased duration with a very early intake close (25°). What I tried to do when I analyzed which cam to get was to dwell more on feedback from owners than the numbers. I also looked at dyno charts even though those too can be deceiving, although if more than one is available you can get a general idea of the cams' characteristics. The important thing is what the cams will do for you with your riding style, and the 255's aren't the perfect choice for many people, especially those who are looking for a big peak-HP number. What it is good for are people with heavy, tall-geared touring bikes who rarely exceed 4K RPM's and want a meaningful increase in TQ in the low-end and midrange. In my case it was a major success story for the $285 spent.

Your HP/TQ numbers are excellent and the 211's are fine cams, which were on my short list. What is important to me is not so much the numbers, but where do they fall on the chart? If you're producing peak TQ of 107 at 4K RPM and 80 at 3200, you could have less TQ where you really need it compared to stock. One thing I can say about the stock cams with a good Stage 1 package is that they perform well in the low-end. The daunting task was finding a cam set that produced overall better numbers without harming those good low-end characteristics. That's the hard part of cam shopping. For example, I called Andrews and told them what I was looking for, mostly inquiring about their TW21. The tech I spoke with listened intently, then said "I really don't think we have a cam that will do what you want." Fair enough, so I moved on.

103s performance for Dollar is low. To leverage them you need a head port and a better cam then a 255 IMHO. The right Cams in a 96 are a big bang for the buck actually spent.
Fuel Moto, who dyno-tunes hundreds of bikes yearly, suggested that the 103" mod alone would not manifest a meaningful increase in either TQ or HP and didn't recommend it as a good bang-for-the-buck option. He did like the 255's, however, and knowing what I was looking for thought it was a good option for the TC96 with no other mods. I did have the FM Power Package before the cam swap, so I was already in good shape on the basics. Furthermore, the dyno charts I've seen for the TC96 with 255's aren't significantly lower than those with 103" Stage II kits. Keep in mind that the Stage II kit also contains flat-top pistons which have higher CR than stock.

Like so many things head-work will help peak HP but usually at the expense of the low-end. Again, not everyone is after large increases in peak HP and it's all in what your priorities are. The guy from whom I bought my cams performed head work with the 255's installed and didn't like the result, saying it hurt the low-end performance. Instead of buying new or used stock heads he decided to instead go with the Wood TW6-6 with +4° gear, spending another $700+ that included a new 2-into-1 exhaust system. He's happy with the result but thinks it wasn't cost-effective and feels he lost some low-end performance, which he said didn't make sense considering the cost involved. He said in the range where he rides most of the time he didn't feel he gained much, although he said peak HP was much better. It should be.

Last edited by iclick; 03-26-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:34 PM
joker1450
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iclick, this thread is very interesting, I would like to put the 255 in my 96 (with SERT, SE street legal and air filetr) I have two questions.

1. how is difficult to install the adjustable pushroads?

2. how can I remap my bike? in the SERT maps there isn't a specific map...

thank You

Old 03-26-2009, 04:37 PM
hellmut73
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joker- The stage one down load is included on the SERT CD. You can use that map or get a dyno.

Quick Reply: Cams VS 103" conversion?