Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Ultra Classic throttle sticking

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 06:50 PM
beamernc
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Ultra Classic throttle sticking

I have had my '09 Ultra for almost two weeks now. One thing I noticed on the way home from the dealer was that when you open the throttle up it would stick and not snap back to the normal position. I have about 550 miles on it now and it is still sticking. I can take my hand off of the throttle and it will keep going as if the cruise is on. I had it back to the dealer last week because the fork lock will not work and I mentioned it to them and they said that since it does not have the throttle cables it is not adjustable. They told me when I bring it back in two weeks to replace the ignition switch to remind them about the sticking throttle.

Has any one else encountered this problem and if so how was it resolved?

Thanks

Old 03-25-2009, 06:59 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

Check the thumb screew under the throttle. Looks like a star wheel and loosen it a little.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:59 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try this! Grab the throttle and pull it back and forth, like you were trying to pull the grip off.
There should be just a slight amount of play. If there is not you should be able to loosen the switch housings and move them a little to get some. What could be happening is that they are binding on the flange on the grip causing it to stick.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:04 PM
bilcon1
Stage II
Default Mine too

I noticed the same thing on my 09 Ultra. However it seems to be related to temperature. If ambient temp in 40ish or below, it sticks, when warmer, it doesn't. Almost hit a slower vehicle in Feb. Mentioned it to dealer during first service, but since temp in was 60's, they couldn't replicate it.

BTW, I've noticed that clutch and throttle on the 09 Ultra is NOT as smooth as my 08 FLHTC was (yes - I traded an 08 for an 09 - improvements were too much to pass up and the diff in trade in was really unbelievable for me).

Old 03-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Gumby256
Cruiser

I wish mine was doing this... seriously. I've got an Ultra now and I miss the thumb screw!

Old 03-25-2009, 08:20 PM
beamernc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HD Renegade
Check the thumb screew under the throttle. Looks like a star wheel and loosen it a little.
HD Renegade, the '09 Ultra's use the "fly by wire" and has cruise control and does not have the thumb screw like my '04 Lowrider.

I noticed that it seemed to do it more when it was colder, but it also did it the past couple of rides when it was warmer. I am going to let the dealer make the "adjustment" so that I don't break or mess anything up. I'm glad that others have experienced this and it was not something that I was doing wrong.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:33 PM
bowa18
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have the grips been changed? Or are they stock? If they've been changed, someone mucked up the install. My '09 UC's throttle is smooth as silk with no sticking. I put grips on the day I rode it home and haven't experienced any sticking. Somethings not right and needs to be corrected, make the dealer fix it. Go over to a new one on the floor and twist the throttle, you won't find any sticking. Good luck and make them correct it.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:17 AM
Rubbit
Road Captain

Originally Posted by beamernc
I have had my '09 Ultra for almost two weeks now. One thing I noticed on the way home from the dealer was that when you open the throttle up it would stick and not snap back to the normal position. I have about 550 miles on it now and it is still sticking. I can take my hand off of the throttle and it will keep going as if the cruise is on. I had it back to the dealer last week because the fork lock will not work and I mentioned it to them and they said that since it does not have the throttle cables it is not adjustable. They told me when I bring it back in two weeks to replace the ignition switch to remind them about the sticking throttle.

Has any one else encountered this problem and if so how was it resolved?

Thanks
First of all, if the dealer is not addressing a sticking throttle problem, that would be my first concern. Go to another dealer, under warranty and have it fixed immediately. Since it is throttle by wire, the most likely problem is that the flange around the housing of the grip has somehow been tighten to the point that it is pinching the grip. I have changed the grips on my 09 UC and have not had any issues with the stock or tribal HD grips. Hope this helps, but dont let the dealer tell you they will take care of the issue later, it is a safety matter, yours.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:41 AM
acftdr
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Ditto what the others are saying about the perch clamp binding on the grip. I ran into this when I swapped out grips. If you don't get the clearance set right the twist grip sensor (elec throttle) will bind. Loosen the screws and DIY. Easy sneezy.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:33 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts
Talking

I found one like that on the sales floor at Thunder Mountain H-D in Loveland CO. I found it at exactly the same time that the sales guy was telling me that their bikes were worth more because of their award winning service department - true story, I swear - I laughed my *** off! He turned bright red and shut up. I was by there about two weeks later and they still hadn't fixed it.

If any of you get a chance to go by TMHD and check it out, it's the red and gold two tone Ultra that was set up and thoroughly tested by their award winning service techs. Might give you a chance to have some fun with their sales guys.

Ride safe,

John

Quick Reply: 2009 Ultra Classic throttle sticking