Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stabilizers

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 01:07 PM
hcmiller92
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Stabilizers

I put a Bagger Brace on my '97 FLHTCUI a couple of weeks ago and have ridden the bike about 500 miles since, on all sorts of roads and at all sorts of speeds. Here a few impressions:

> The Bagger Brace is an exquisitely executed product and fits with tight tolerances.

> Installation was long and arduous. It took me about 6 hours to install, primarily because the bike was on its sidestand and I was working on the floor. Tolerances are so tight that working the fine thread machine screws into the billet aluminum proved difficult. I'd recommend doing this install on a lift. I'm delighted to hear some folks did the install in 45 minutes. I suspect there are many out there besides me for whom it took much longer.

> I'm delighted to have this device on my bike for the insurance it apparently provides to prevent the bagger boogie at high speeds. At slow speeds (<50 mph), I notice absolutely NO difference in handling of the bike. At speeds >50 mph, I might notice SOME difference in handling - but that could be in my head.

> Contrary to some posts, the device definitelty DOES NOT make the bike handle like a sport bike or like it "rides on a rail." I own two high-performance bikes (2007 BMW R1200S and 2008 BMW K1200GT), both capable of 150 mph and that actually do handle like they ride on a rail. My FLHTCUI definitely does not handle like either of these bikes, not even close. This does not make me love my Harley any less, since I purchased it to ride as a cruiser-tourer, not as a sport bike or as a sport-tourer.

> Overall, I would recommend this or other brace of its type, for the sole purpose of safety. On this point, I draw my inference about the safety from others, since I can't testify to its ability to stop the high speed wobble from personal experience.

> Don't bet on a 45 minute install. I've removed engines in far less time than it took me to install this device and I'm not a totally inept wrench. Perhaps my hands are too large.

Take this for what it's worth, just my personal experience, that's all. Your mileage might vary and since there is no dyno to accurately measure for handling characteristics as with torque, before and after mod, the handling "improvements" provided with these devices should be seen as merely subjective or conjectural.

Last edited by hcmiller92; 03-25-2009 at 01:09 PM.