Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Clutch Adjustment Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 11:13 AM
VARDR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Another Clutch Adjustment Issue

While doing my 1K service, I adjusted my clutch. I follwed the service manual instructions to the letter...well, while I was taking the slack out of the cable to give me 1/8-1/16 (dime width) of play in the clutch handle, the cabel adjuster ran out of threads. So I started over bringing the cable adjustment nut on the cabel way up the treads before adjusting the clutch in the primary. This time I did not run out of threads, but instead stoped short, leaving about 3/16 or a little more of play in the clutch handle. I am sure that if I took it to a dime's width, it would have ran out of threads again. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Also, the the adjustment nut being so close to the end of the treads, is their any danger of something breaking. Again, I followed the manual and I watch the videos on this forum and I did everything right...Thanks for the help.

2009 Vivid Black SG

Old 03-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VARDR
While doing my 1K service, I adjusted my clutch. I follwed the service manual instructions to the letter...well, while I was taking the slack out of the cable to give me 1/8-1/16 (dime width) of play in the clutch handle, the cabel adjuster ran out of threads. So I started over bringing the cable adjustment nut on the cabel way up the treads before adjusting the clutch in the primary. This time I did not run out of threads, but instead stoped short, leaving about 3/16 or a little more of play in the clutch handle. I am sure that if I took it to a dime's width, it would have ran out of threads again. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Also, the the adjustment nut being so close to the end of the treads, is their any danger of something breaking. Again, I followed the manual and I watch the videos on this forum and I did everything right...Thanks for the help.

2009 Vivid Black SG
Not exactly sure how you did it but the first step is to loosen the adjusters on the "cable" until your lever has enough slack in it to rest against the grip and then you go into the clutch itself and make your adjustment which should bring the lever back out almost all the way and then you go back to the cable adjusters and take the rest of the slack out leaving yourslf a little at the clutch perch.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:32 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

you just want to make sure the clutch cable is relaxed, and then adjust the clutch pack inside the derby cover. Once youv'e done that and buttoned up the derby cover, retighten the clutch cable adjustment until you have 1/8" of play in the lever.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:42 AM
VARDR
Cruiser

Thanks, I did loosen the clutch cable adjustment nut to the point the lever touched the throttle, however, I guess I am doing something wrong because when I adjusted the clutch itself, it didn't take any slack out of the cable. As the manual says, I "lightly seated" the hex bolt and then tightened the nut around the bolt. What am I missing?

Old 03-25-2009, 11:44 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Adjusting the clutch pack shouldn't take any slack out of the cable. You are loosening the cable to begin with to take any pressure off the clutch pack itself. Once you loosen the lock nut, and adjust the set screw, then retighten the lock nut, you just need to retighten the cable adjustment. I think you are doing it right, just expecting something that isn't going to happen.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:46 AM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You're supposed to give your cable slack by adjusting it down by the front cylinder, then take your derby cover off and loosening lock nut and turn adjusting all the way in. Then, back out 1/2 to 1 turn. Then, re-adjust your clutch cable with the proper clearence 1/16 to 1/8 from the adjusting nut in the cable down in front of the front cylinder.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:58 AM
VARDR
Cruiser

thanks, it sounds like I am doing everything right, but again, why am I running out of threads on the "adjusting nut in the cable down in front of the front cylinder" in order to get the 1/8 clearance at the lever....

Old 03-25-2009, 12:28 PM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe they have the wrong cable installed? After adjusting set screw on clutch pack, maybe just pull clutch lever a few times, and then try re-adjusting cable play.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:07 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

let us know how you fix the problem...

Old 03-25-2009, 01:44 PM
VARDR
Cruiser

Will let you all know, once I figure out what to do....if anything...right now it is a lot better than it was, but still a little loose. Just don't want to tighten it down anymore because the adjustment nut will run out of threads. One other question, when putting the primary cover back on, do I need to use locktight or antiseeze?

Quick Reply: Another Clutch Adjustment Issue