Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PC-V adding Autotune - would you?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 08:10 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDennis
My bike is a 08 TBW, I checked the 0% TP and it was fine but didn't think it can be reset like earlier bikes.
If it shows 0% in the main window at idle there's no need to reset it. Most TBW bikes seem to be set right from the get-go, but cable bikes are usually quite a bit off the mark. Mine was 6% with the PCIII, 4% for the PCV.

I reinstalled the Jackpots using a little silicone sealant and the popping seems to be better. Hopefully it stays that way.
I used anti-sieze and have never had a decel-pop problem, but I'm not sure leaking around the muffler is the whole story.

And I do plan on using the autotune but am trying to learn as much as possible about the pros and cons
Auto-Tune is a great tool, especially if you want to do your own tweaking (gas mileage, etc.) or plan on making incremental changes to your setup (cams, etc.). I fit into both groups, as having AT was part of the reason I decided to make my cam swap two weeks ago and I'm a pathological tweaker.

But most people don't need it if they already have a good base map, IMO. It's not exactly a plug-and-play install, as you much fool with O2 sensors and run wires, neither of which is a load of fun or a quick job.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MEGALifted
You guys are right, we should spend first and ask questions later. If only I thought like a Democrat.

I'm over it and moving on. Hopefully he'll get good use out of it. I'll just quietly sit back and snicker when the same happens to the rest of you.
Just to clarify what happened here...............a guy put something up for sale in the HDF Classified Section and somebody bought it before you made up your mind. That makes you a Democrat? I really don't see the reasoning here............at all. Can anyone else fill me in on what the proper etiquette on online shopping. I've never seen anyone on Ebay suspend a sale while someone made up their mind. Not that HDF is anything like Ebay but I'm sure that no rules were broken in the transaction here and the buyer does not deserve to be ridiculed in the open forum.

Terry
HDF Admin

Old 03-25-2009, 08:36 PM
OG1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry1955
Just to clarify what happened here...............a guy put something up for sale in the HDF Classified Section and somebody bought it before you made up your mind. That makes you a Democrat? I really don't see the reasoning here............at all. Can anyone else fill me in on what the proper etiquette on online shopping. I've never seen anyone on Ebay suspend a sale while someone made up their mind. Not that HDF is anything like Ebay but I'm sure that no rules were broken in the transaction here and the buyer does not deserve to be ridiculed in the open forum.

Terry
HDF Admin
in my experience, once someone sees your item and inquires about it in general, they somehow have dibs on it, even though they dont say they want it. meanwhilst while they fukc around thinking about it, someone who knows what they want and sees a good deal swoops on it, then the original person calls BS on the whole deal and spews insults at both the seller and the buyer who somehow "stole" the item out from under them. again, this is just MY experience, YMMV.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:31 PM
keltonkrew
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OG1
in my experience, once someone sees your item and inquires about it in general, they somehow have dibs on it, even though they dont say they want it. meanwhilst while they fukc around thinking about it, someone who knows what they want and sees a good deal swoops on it, then the original person calls BS on the whole deal and spews insults at both the seller and the buyer who somehow "stole" the item out from under them. again, this is just MY experience, YMMV.
when I sell the first person that contacts me has an up...but if they don't put up the $$$$ and someone else does...I'm sorry...but I'm going with the $$$$. I don't care who emailed me first....there are a lot of window shoppers..... put your $$$ where your email is!!!!!!!

Old 03-25-2009, 09:31 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,387 Likes on 959 Posts

I am going to have to start a thread on all these fricking acroynms that I see every where here. TBW is throttle by wire? If I am right give me an atta boy.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:32 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by OLD 96
I am going to have to start a thread on all these fricking acroynms that I see every where here. TBW is throttle by wire? If I am right give me an atta boy.
Atta boy!

Old 03-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Dennis, I think that your configuration is one that FuelMoto has a great amount of experience with and I would expect that their map will be spot-on for it. I'm not a technician, but it would seem improbable that the Auto Tune accessory would make a significant difference in your application.

It can always be added later if you make additional modifications, but your current equipment configuration seems ideal for the base PCV w/ FuelMoto map without the Auto Tune.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:52 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OG1
i have an PCV and AUto tune and i cant reccomend it enough. sure a canned map may be "close" but the autotune will make it perfect for the target afr's you provide. your target afr's are set in the map so you could even have a winter map and a summer map to offset the differences in fuel.

as far as warranty, i would argue that all the AT does is optimize/enrichen the AF mixture, which is going to help the bike run cooler. worst case, pull the o2 sensors and go back to stock. just use anti sieze on the threads(new ones come preapplied) and they will come right out.

even if you decide you dont want to keep it, run it for a month or so and optimize your basemap with it before you sell it off. that way you will have a perfect basemap at least.
Thanks for your post. All of this is good information. I plan to keep the AT. Back when I was changing jets on my 96 RK, I kept thinking it would be nice to see what the AFRs really are. Fuel Moto's maps are very close and I can't recommend them enough but I just like tinkering. I like the winter summer map suggestion. There is a lot to learn.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:02 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Pastor John
Dennis, I think that your configuration is one that FuelMoto has a great amount of experience with and I would expect that their map will be spot-on for it. I'm not a technician, but it would seem improbable that the Auto Tune accessory would make a significant difference in your application.

It can always be added later if you make additional modifications, but your current equipment configuration seems ideal for the base PCV w/ FuelMoto map without the Auto Tune.
Pastor John

You are correct. My map seems to be spot on from Fuel Moto. However like some others, iclick included , I do like to tinker. I enjoy working on my bike and working with computers so the AT gives me the ability to "see" what is really going on with the AFRs on my bike.

Thanks for the post