Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang, Saddleman, Corbin.... What's Best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:40 AM
FLS2FLH
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 'seat thing' is a tough one to hang a decision on based on someone elses preference. (stating the obvious here). I think there has been lots of good input for you in this thread. Here is my logic...

1. Most any aftermarket seat is going to be a step up from stock one way or another
2. There are options available now to take your stock seat and customize it. If you want relatively minor changes (narrowing, different foam) then it seems cost effective.
3. Other complete aftermarket swap outs are good price/performers - Mustang in particular (my butt and wallet's personal choice!)
4. Higher end, all leather seats like Corbins are great too but have a much different fell than a vinyl seat. Love it or hate it.

Good luck in finding what works for you!

Old 03-27-2010, 10:12 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,405 Posts

I'm looking for a solo seat w/ back rest that will put me up and further forward on my '04 RK - kind of like a police bike. Any suggestions?

Old 03-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

All about your personal preferences. I had a Mustang and didn't care for it. Got a Corbin, and once it broke in a little, I love it. It does mold a little to your shape after time. When I sit on my bike, my butt knows I'm on MY bike.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:53 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,376 Likes on 10,752 Posts

I'm so glad I tried MeanCity Cycle first, before dropping 100's of
clams trying the other manufacturers........
Them boyz at MCC will work with you on the problem areas of
your current seat........and "if at first it ain't quite right", give 'em a
call and send it back for another adjustment.

No 2 asses fit no 2 seats the same........best of luck with your search.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:41 PM
acdccox
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Stock seat on my 2009 SERG3 sagged and pulled back from tank. Look terrible so I replaced with Sundowner bought on Ebay. Loved that seat but really like solo look (one reason I loved my prior 2005 Deluxe). After reading this forum and other research, found used Corbin Solo Close Heated on Ebay as well. So far like it very much. Suggest experimenting with buying used first can help you decide what you like a little cheaper. I liked the Corbin and then ordered the matching passenger cushion and backrest new from Corbin. Figure I should be able to sell the Sundowner and recover some of the cost of "going to seat school".

Old 03-27-2010, 03:54 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Corbin dual tour
I recently done a 2500 K ride in two days I had no problems with any soreness and I could have done another 2500 with no problems.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:22 PM
harleybill2008
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I loved my corbin, I thought the mustang was ok and I would run from saddlemen (not really a seat company) and their fit was terrible.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like Mean City.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:35 PM
nobber
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had two bikes with Corbins on them and I highly recommend them
Nobber

Old 03-27-2010, 07:10 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

My two cents:

Corbin: good if it fits the contour of your butt, and you like a VERY firm seat. If not, its like riding on a brick. They call them SADDLES and its applicable. IMHO

Harley: most feel nice and cushy, especially the stock Ultra, but after a few hours riding, your sinking down in the foam and riding on the pan, or the mushy foam is pressing back on your butt cutting off circulation. Gets worse over time as the foam collapses. Of the harley touring seats, the Sundowner (after 08') is the best bet IMHO.

Mustang: My favorite. Seems overly firm at first, softens up a bit after 1000 miles, but it SUPPORTS your butt so you don't sink down into the foam and get a squirmy ***. For me they strike the best balance of being firm enough for all day support, but soft enough to give a little.

Ultimate seats: Memory foam seat, good if you like a softer seat, but the shape was not quite right for me.

In the end, I went back to Mustang, and had some custom upholstery work done. Had it reshaped slightly, and had them soften up the passenger section. My wife has a tender butt, and any seat I have ever tried other than the Ultimate was too firm for her. Figured the Mustang was closest to what I wanted, so I went from there and had it customized.

Best seat if your looking for something not terribly expensive, is the Sundowner. (the pre-08 models have too small of a passenger section for long days for the wife though...they made it 2 inches wider in the rear in 08)

Quick Reply: Mustang, Saddleman, Corbin.... What's Best?