Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tips on V&H Dresser Duals Install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 06:09 PM
jcain
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any tips on V&H Dresser Duals Install?

I'm hoping to put my new dresser duals on this coming weekend. I have searched repeatedly for tips on the install (outside of the instructions) but haven't really found much. I have an '04 Road Glide w/ factory headers and SEII slip-ons. I'm keeping the slip-ons. I have new gaskets and everything I've read says to start from the back and work forward on the disassemble. Makes sense to me.

I guess what I'm looking for is info for the install of the new pipes and the on use of lock-tite (if needed), never seize (if needed) and tools that can be helpful etc. I'm relatively handy but wanted to get some input from the membership.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

jcain

Old 03-24-2009, 06:17 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Short 1/2" stubby to remove lower bolt on rear jug. Don't use loctite. You can put some hi temp copper sealant on the muffs to pipes if ya want. The stock exhaust is a PITA to take apart.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:20 PM
steelhead
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty straightforward install actually. Some will tell you to junk the V&H muffler clamps and go with Harley ones. I think you are fine either way as long as you conch the hell out of them. My one piece of advice would be to seat the mufflers onto the headpipes using high-temp silicone (Permetex Copper). It not only helps with leaks but makes it easier to get them off in the future. Being an 04, you don't have O2 sensors to deal with so you should be good to go. No need for loctite or anti-sieze.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:25 PM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when seating the headers to the jugs be careful not to tighten to much. this will crush the metal exhaust gasket and cause a exhaust leak. ensure proper seating and torque accordingly. install the entire system before tightning. then ride 100 miles and recheck fastners

Old 03-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Frankie-FLHXI
Road Master

great thread getting ready to do the same thing.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Olde Skool
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Dawg said, a short 1/2" wrench, I used a Ford distributor wrench. Use the HD head pipe to jug gaskets and not the POS aftermarket ones I got from Eastern Performance, they leaked but may have been my fault. all I know for sure is the HD gaskets fixed the leak!

Old 03-24-2009, 08:00 PM
ny rider
Intermediate

just helped a friend do his 08 road king install went smooth just take your time and follow instructions you should be fine good luck

Old 03-24-2009, 09:13 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What kind of time frame did it take for you to complete this task ???

Old 03-24-2009, 09:38 PM
cornking
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i installed mine this winter we went ahead and threaded the clamps through the heat shields before inserting the pipes. We then just opened up the clamps and pushed the pipes in and had no issues getting the clamps back together. If you have a friend around that can help, that extra set of hands can come in very helpful.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:24 PM
jcain
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As usual excellent information. I will have to figure out the 1/2 inch stubby thing. I've enough tools laying around I'm sure I will have something that works.

Again, thanks everyone for the input and advice.

John

Quick Reply: Any tips on V&H Dresser Duals Install?