Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Marketing

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:04 AM
cbears
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Marketing

I just joined the HD family this year after spending 25 years riding other stuff wishing they were Harleys. At least part of the reason I wanted a Harley so bad was because of all the cool stuff, shirts, hats, chrome and the people, etc. All that time, I never bought a single thing that said Harley because I felt like only folks with Harleys "deserved" that stuff. Once I finally bought my RKC, it's like someone opened the flood gates. I've got several shirts, helmet, chaps, jacket, the whole 9 yards. I suppose that makes me a poser, at least from what some illustrations I've seen say, but I don't care. It's a lot of fun to go to a dealership, shop around for chrome and shirts and just be part of it all. Anyway, it's just funny how I just can't wait to go down to an HD shop and spend my hard-earned money.

HD marketing is simply brilliant.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:09 AM
TMART
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a incureable disease,congrats on the new bike!!!

Old 03-24-2009, 10:11 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

cbears, I know what you mean. My bike came in late November. While it was in storage there was plenty of time to visit a few dealers and buy "stuff". Now that I am starting to ride. It will be interesting to see if I buy more or less?

Old 03-24-2009, 10:15 AM
cbears
Road Warrior

Exactly! While I was planning my purchase last year, shopping around to see which bike I wanted, etc, I visited every HD store within 150 miles of here and any town I went to I visited every HD shop there too, went to 5 of them in Indianapolis while I was there and had a blast in all of them. I still think I'll stop by any I pass while on my adventures and will probably buy a shirt at all of them.

I'm a sick, SICK man!!!

cajunfla
Tourer

I feel same way. Owned another brand back in the 70's for about a year, then finally got another bike last month. I always figured it was against the law to own a shirt advertising something you do not own or from someplace you have never been.

Last edited by cajunfla; 03-24-2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: missing words
PnDegc
Road Master

You have a disease for which there is no known cure. I read somewhere that whatever people spend on their HD motorcycle they will spend 50%-100% of that amont on acc. & stuff. "Branding" is an incredible marketing tool that few do better than HD.

Edit-Here is what I found on internet- subjective to be sure but pretty powerful:

CoreBrand's 2008 Brand Power Rankings: Coca-Cola and Johnson & Johnson Maintain #1 and #2 Spots, Harley-Davidson Takes Third, Hershey Foods Into Fourth

Last edited by PnDegc; 03-24-2009 at 10:21 AM.
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the zoo, enjoy your new bike and ride safe!

I went through the same faze until I realized that I didn't need any more $30 T-shirts.

mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember the days when only Harley riders wore the shirts/jackets/hats. Now, go any place, and it seems like 1 out of every 5 people have something with Harley on it. It is now "cool" to have the Harley tag on the clothing when out in public.

Wife still gets a shirt from every new dealer location we stop in. I'm hooked on getting a shot glass for each one I visit as well. Bummer when I ride some place, and they are all out. Nice thing is most dealers will be glad to mail you one when they come in.

Last edited by mastery; 03-24-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the new ride & enjoy it. What you spend is up to you. We all have fallen for the H-D marketing ploy at some time. They sure are good, aren't they?

After a while, you'll start going, "Do I need another t-shirt, hat, etc. or should I spend it on something for the bike?". Then, you'll start looking at after market stuff because H-D might not carry the exact things you want for your bike. It's a disease that we all enjoy.

That's why we ride what we ride. You can make it look like a 1,000 other bikes(if you want) or you can put stuff on it to make it look different from 1,000 others. Some people will rag others about what they put on their bikes(i.e. skulls, flames, blacked out, etc.) while others will go, "Cool!! I like your ride." That's what's so great about owning one.

Then you'll be falling into the synthetic oil vs. dino oil, what kind of pipes, do I wave or not, assless chaps, etc. discussions(just kidding with you) and your head will start to hurt.

It's your ride, you're making the payments(if you're not lucky enough to have paid cash ) so do what YOU want to it.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your not a poser if you ride a Harley.

Welcome to the family!

Quick Reply: HD Marketing